Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

moonpie1985
Beginner July 2012

Is there anyone planning a leap day proposal?

moonpie1985, 28 February, 2012 at 18:42 Posted on Planning 0 42

I think its a great idea.

I have two very close friends who have long term patners and are desperate to get engaged, but will not give even the slightest hint to their men!

This surely is the perfect way to sort it out?

The terrible thing is, that one of them is thinking of breaking off the relationship as she is tired of waiting and is worried that he will never propose!

42 replies

Latest activity by Peter, 1 March, 2012 at 01:53
  • Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

I'm hoping my missus will ask me. Keep reminding her....

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That would be really sweet!

So as a person of the male species, how would you honestly feel if you were proposed to rather than the other way around?

From what I have heard, some men don't like it as they feel that part of their job has been taken away from them?

• skyrocket
    Beginner July 2012
    skyrocket ·
    • Hide content

Chris why don't you ask her?

• skyrocket
    Beginner July 2012
    skyrocket ·
    • Hide content

I think I would always resent the fact he hadn't asked me. I am old fashioned like that, I wanted him to propose!

• westlakedesignsbasic
    westlakedesignsbasic ·
    • Hide content

Oooohhh was thinking the same thing, maybe an influx on hitched will confirm Smiley smile

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

I would never have done the proposing! H and I always talked about getting married so I knew it would happen eventually.

To me I would never propose because having learnt with H that men will only propose when they're ready, so it's in their head that they're going to do that and nothing you do will make it happen any quicker. If I proposed because H hadn't, I would feel like he would be pressured to say yes and wouldn't be quite ready in his own mind. Hope that makes sense.

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

X-posted with OT

I was tempted to do it as I'm still waiting for my 'proper proposal' (his words, not mine!). However, OH will tell me off for ruining his fun/taking his job and also he's away for the next two days with work so I won't actually see him.

This as well. Logically he would say yes as we've already decided to get married but in my very illogical mind, I am sh*t scared of the possibility of rejection

• Hide content
    View quoted message

I'd be flattered if she asked me, we're already engaged by mutual consent and there's a big ring on her finger.

If she doesn't ask me then I'll end up doing it. But many years ago I was married, albeit far too young so don't really want to ask again...I only ever wanted to be married once. Smiley laugh

She's already buying issues of Brides magazine and complaining they are full of adverts. You should see her Pinterest board!

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

I was going to do it....but I'm afraid he'll say no....so i guess we'll just jog along forever as we are.

• celticgoddess
    Beginner March 2012
    celticgoddess ·
    • Hide content

Sandy go for it!! I proposed last yr and now we're getting married in 4 weeks. We had been talking about it and indirectly dared me to ask him, to see if I actually had the bottle. It was one of the most nerve wracking experiences of my life but also one of the happiest! And I was too impatient to wait for a leap year!

• lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content

Sandy sounds!!! DO ITTT!!!!!!!!!!

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

I proposed to H, but not on a leap day. He said yes, but we never did anything about it (life got in the way - new house, faulty boiler, broken washing machine flooding the kitchen, leaking bathroom extension roof etc). He had been planning to ask me when we went away for the weekend.

We randomly resurected our plans in Sept 2010, decided if we didn't do it now, we'd never do it so pushed ahead and got married Oct 2011. Best decision we ever made.

• skyrocket
    Beginner July 2012
    skyrocket ·
    • Hide content

Aww Sandy DO IT!!!

I will keep everything crossed for you!!

• friya123
    Beginner August 2013
    friya123 ·
    • Hide content

I know a girl or two who are desperate to get engaged (to the point of considering breakups if it doesn't happen) but wouldn't dream of doing the proposing. I think it's such a shame! Aren't we, as modern women, supposed to go out there and get what we want? We do it with education, jobs and our lives as consumers - why not take control of our love lives as well?

I definitely would've proposed to my love if he'd waited any longer. And not on a leap year either - I can make choices about my life any day, thanks!

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Unfortunately, he had an unhappy 20 year marriage and when we met he said he'd never ever marry again.... i'm pretty certain he'd say no which would make things awkward. Sadly, I think I'm destined to live in sin!

• tizmelou
    Beginner September 2012
    tizmelou ·
    • Hide content

Ah Sandy my best friend had an unhappy previous marrige always swore she would never marry again - her partner asked her and to my utter suprise she said yes - go on.... give it a go, if you dont ask you'll never know!?

• skyrocket
    Beginner July 2012
    skyrocket ·
    • Hide content

Never say never!! That was before he met you!

Do you really think he would say no?

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes i do....and if he does it could create an amosphere and a problem that doesn't exist at the moment. As we are both in the business and attend weddings every week, if he had changed his mind I think he'd have let it slip by noticing things other than where the plug sockets are located!

• emze2011
    Beginner September 2013
    emze2011 ·
    • Hide content

My oh was with a woman for 4 years when she threatened to leave him unless he proposed while they were on there holliday, so he proposed and when they returned to the uk he split up with her! that horror story was enough for me to know hes a guy who likes to take his time and won't be rushed, i wouldn't have dared propose on a leap day! lol ......so i was VERY suprised when he proposed on my birthday after only 2 years togeather. i quess when they really want to they will!

• *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content

I did it on the last leap year and we are getting married this leap year. Prob would have got married sooner but we moved house and had a baby inbetween.

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

well....thats my mind made up then! Why rock a boat thats sailing in calm waters!!!

• skyrocket
    Beginner July 2012
    skyrocket ·
    • Hide content

I guess...well you never know he might just surprise you Sandy!

I wonder if it's crossed his mind today whether you might propose or not. ?

• info@cestcheese.co.uk
    info@cestcheese.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

I do think its a lovely idea although when i proposed to my husband he turned me down! he thought it was not my job to do that - actually made me wait 2 years can you believe it???

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

My work colleague did it just after midnight last night! They have both seperated from previous partners years and years ago, got together a year ago and just recently moved into her house together and trying to sell his. They both have adult children and she and her OH always said there was no point in getting married again, too old, too much fuss, too much money etc etc... turns out she had been thinking about it when she realised it was leap year and last night just went for it even though she assumed he would say no. He said yes! So they are going to have a very quiet fuss-free ceremony and then a big party and amazing honeymoon once they get their houses sorted.

• Jason Clark DJ
    Jason Clark DJ ·
    • Hide content

Hey Sandy - I used to say to Carmen "never again".. But we're very happy, and seeing our Wedding Pics (that you've seen) with her Beaming all day still makes me all emotional! (blub! lol)

• Hide content

I got mine Smiley smile

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Really?! Was that for you?! If so, congratulations!!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Chris that's amazing! Congratulations Smiley smile Did she buy you the jelly ring and herself the diamond one?!

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's what I wondered... though my first thought was 'Chris will suit that bit of bling' ?

• Hide content

The Jelly one was for me. I bought and gave the ring about 4 weeks ago.

No proposal was made though until today. Laura did it the right way too, just turned up with a balloon and a smile Smiley smile

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

woo! I'm really pleased for you Chris, wonderful news Smiley smile

Any ideas about a likely date?

Congratulations again!

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

He said no!

looks like i'm destined to be a Ms with a surname that no one can pronounce!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics