Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Nenas
Beginner March 2012

Is this a weird choice for a reading?

Nenas, 7 October, 2011 at 13:33 Posted on Planning 0 24

We are very much undecided on what to have as a reading for our civil ceremony. I found the Owl and the Pussycat which i quite liked but OH wasn't keen, but did like the idea of something frm a childhood book.

Anyway, after trawling through some of the old books I still had, I found The Owl who was Afraid of the Dark.

Now, on reading the first chapter, i thought it was quite cute - Plop (not sure I can get through the whole reading without sniggering at this), is afraid of the dark, his mum says that's silly, he can't be afraid of the dark, he doesn't know anything about it, so she sends him off to explore. There's a bit in the last chapter about how he's met all these wonderful people and is longer afraid of the dark and think's its great.

Using the metaphor of dark=marriage/love - is this a weird choice?? Neither me or OH have been particularly scared of commitment at any point in our lives, so it isn't directly relevant, but i still think the sentiment is nice.

Would you find it weird if someone read this at a wedding? I'm worried we have blinkers on as we can't find anything else, so looking for the general consensus on yay or nay

Sorry for the ramble!

24 replies

Latest activity by onion1975, 7 October, 2011 at 17:32
  • C
    Beginner June 2012
    Country Flower ·
    • Hide content

I think this sounds nice and different. My cousin had a reading about the Dinosaur and the lovely Other Dinosaur - I thought it was fab. It's nice to have somthing that is different - I personally don't like the traditional romantic soppy readings x

• Nenas
    Beginner March 2012
    Nenas ·
    • Hide content

We like the dinosaur one but a close friend of ours had this at their wedding, and there would be a lot of the same guests so that was ruled out (along with a winnie the pooh one that i think is quite popular).

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

I don't know the reading but I do find the reference to "dark = marriage/love" a bit strange; darkness is normally relating to bad, negative things in life and light/bright for the good things, so to call marriage a 'dark thing' does confuse me a bit - although I understand the parallels of not being afraid of it - but then again, if someone was 'scared of marriage' surely they wouldn't be doing it in the first place?

Obviously I don't know either of you or your friends, but by the sound of it I would probably end up a bit confused by the reading at a wedding, sorry.

What does your OH think about it?

• Nenas
    Beginner March 2012
    Nenas ·
    • Hide content

OH likes it, at least in the same way i do. I originally thought the whole 'dark' thing was a bit negative but the book is written in such a positive way that the passage has a nice uplifting feel, especially at the end.

Maybe I also thought that quite a few readings out there start off with a 'negative' (two lost souls, for example), and then end on a positive (one combined 'partnership'), so it wouldn't be that different, but maybe i'm clutching at straws!

• Nenas
    Beginner March 2012
    Nenas ·
    • Hide content

Ooh, no? This would be perfect as monkey's are very relvant to us!!

• Recycledbride
    Beginner June 2012
    Recycledbride ·
    • Hide content

Noooooooooooo, not weird at all.....brilliant, creative , inspired, YES. This is my favourite all time children's book. I read it endlessly to my children when they were little. I'm having owls at my wedding and want my H2B's niece to read The Owl and the *** cat......but might have a re think ?

• Nenas
    Beginner March 2012
    Nenas ·
    • Hide content

omg, this is PERFECT!!!

actually have a few tears in my eyes, this is so relevant to us (not least because of the monkeys) and would be brilliant!

Can I get through it without giggling at 'Love Monkey' though?? I'm not so sure haha

I would still be interested in others' views on the owl who was afraid of the dark, just for a balanced opinion

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

Well I am a tad odd, and love Winnie the Pooh. There are some fab quotes from it, but they are short.

“How do you spell 'love'?" - Piglet
    "You don't spell it...you feel it." - Pooh”

“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together... there is something you must always remember. you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart... I'll always be with you.”

“If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.”

I love the idea of something from a book, but am certain my other half will never go for it Smiley sad

• K
    Beginner June 2012
    kfair ·
    • Hide content

I think I would find the owl and *** cat reading a little odd. sorry hun. x

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

While it may sound giggle-inducing to read out "Plop" or "Love Monkey", I can say that neither would compare to the fit of giggles that overtook our pew at a friend's wedding two weeks ago, upon the full reading of The Owl And The Pussycat. I think it was because a shortened version of the word "pussycat" was repeated over and over....

• A
    Beginner June 2012
    adiesummer2012 ·
    • Hide content

That's so lovely - brought a tear to my eye!

I LOVE love love the Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark - brilliant book, and I can see why you'd want something from it, but for me I don't think it quite works. Lovely thought though.

• endsor
    Beginner September 2012
    endsor ·
    • Hide content

I really like the Love and Dream Monkey one...so cute!! I'd go with that one as the other one is a bit abstract. Plus if monkeys go with what your thinking...works well.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

But The Owl And The Pussycat is about getting married! How is that random?

• Nenas
    Beginner March 2012
    Nenas ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I may be wrong but i think she means my crazy idea about dark=marriage/love metaphor lol That is a bit random. Owl and the pussycat i reckon is pretty spot on Smiley smile

• A
    Beginner June 2012
    adiesummer2012 ·
    • Hide content

I thought for church weddings you had to have religious readings? I could be totally wrong...it wouldn't occur to me to have anything else I suppose but maybe you can?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My friend had The Owl And The Pussycat at her church wedding two weeks ago (C of E, if that helps). I've also attended many Catholic weddings which included non-religious readings. I actually thought it was pretty standard to have one religious and one non-religious reading?

• A
    Beginner June 2012
    adiesummer2012 ·
    • Hide content

Well there you go - learn something new every day! Most of the weddings I've been to are Catholic and they've always had religious readings - we are getting married in a Catholic church and when readings were mentioned they just gave us a list of the most commonly chosen ones from the Old and New Testaments as suggestions.

• O
    Beginner August 2011
    onion1975 ·
    • Hide content

At the end of the day it's your wedding day, you should have whatever you like...i quite like the idea of your reading..it's different and i suppose a little quirky...

we had our kids read 'i like you' by sandol stoddard warburg...it's a lovely lovely book, a bit long but lovely..xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics