Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
South West London

Is this appropriate attire for a wedding guest?

Maria, 15 of September of 2021 at 23:49 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 15

Hi, all.

I am actually not a bride, but a guest. I was invited to a wedding on REALLY short notice (1 week) and am having a hard time finding what to wear since I have absolutely no idea what wedding culture is like here in the UK. I am Brazilian and bought a dress that would be deemed appropriate for a wedding back home (everyone from my mother-in-law to my friends loved it), but a colleague from work immediately said upon seeing it through pictures that it would not be OK for a wedding guest at all, mainly because of the material and length.

There was no dress code specified on the invite; I don’t really know the couple and the only piece of information I have is that the groom is English and the bride is East African, so they intend to have both cultures represented in the ceremony somehow. I am including 2 pictures, please excuse the mess the room is in:

Is this appropriate attire for a wedding guest? 1

Is this appropriate attire for a wedding guest? 2

Could anyone offer some guidance on this? Is this OK to wear after all or should I scramble to find something else? Thank you in advance for your help, any advice will be much appreciated!

15 replies

Latest activity by Charlotte, 21 of September of 2021 at 15:49
  • Laura
    Savvy July 2022 Bristol
    Laura ·
    • Hide content
    I think you look stunning. What colour is the dress? I would rather a guest turn up in the this style of dress rather than a really short one.
  • M
    South West London
    Maria ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much for your reply and kind words, Laura!

The dress is a cream colour, slightly yellow-ish; the material of the skirt is tulle. My colleague’s concern was that it might look too bridal and I could possibly offend the bride/her guests. I obviously do not mean to do that at all, so I’m wondering if I should return the dress and try to find another one over the next couple of days (although it would be kind of hard, since I’ll only really have Saturday to shop around because of work).
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

It is a beautiful dress, although yes it does look kind of bridesmaid ish as long as it is not the same colour as the colour scheme of the wedding I think you will be fine. If you wear a wrap/cardigan as well that will be better. You could look online to see if you can order something else to arrive before hand and then return this one after if you are really worried. Di you know anyone else going to the wedding you could ask if they think it is ok and that the bride wont be offended.

• M
    South West London
    Maria ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much for your advice, Charlotte!

I don’t know the colour scheme, though I do have a way of finding out and will get on that right away. I would definitely be wearing the pink shawl in the picture so as to give the ensemble a little bit more colour.
    About looking for something online, I have been doing that for a few days now and have not found much that I would be comfortable wearing (usually dresses are either too skimpy or kind of matronly — maybe I’m just not familiar with the right brands, or maybe I’m not used to the style over here). I was told to go have a look at the shops near Finsbury Park, which I will be doing on Saturday, but I just want to make sure the dress I already bought is OK in case I don’t end up finding anything in the end.
  • C
    Curious September 2021 Nottinghamshire
    Caroline ·
    • Hide content
    I think the wrap helps it look less bridal
  • Marcie
    Rockstar August 2021 Bristol
    Marcie ·
    • Hide content
    I think a bright pink hat or fascination and bag and it will be fine
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Honestly I think you will be fine, as Marcie says, if you can accessorize with bag and fascinator/headpiece then that will be enough to distinguish you as a guest. If the colour scheme is not pink then I say go for it and wear it. Even if it is pink you will be fine as BM's will likely be in full colour block dresses. It is great that you are being so considerate to ask but you look stunning in it so go for it, i wouldn't have a problem if you were a guest at my wedding and wore that, it shows you have made an effort X

• M
    South West London
    Maria ·
    • Hide content
    Thank you so much, Caroline, Marcie and Charlotte! I would definitely wear the shawl and a colorful bag, which I think would make it OK…

I have just found out though that the colour scheme is white and gold. Sorry to be a pain, but do you guys still think it would be fine considering this new bit of information? I swear it’s the last I’ll ask about it 😂
    Thank you again, you are all so wonderful 🙏🏻
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    I would have no issue if you came to my wedding in this dress. It’s a lovely outfit and you look great! Good luck and have a good day at the wedding!
  • M
    South West London
    Maria ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much, that’s very kind of you! I have decided to go ahead with it after all the supportive comments on here. Thank you again to everyone who replied, you have been of incredible help!!! ♥️
  • J
    Beginner June 2022 Greater Manchester
    Jem ·
    • Hide content
    It’s looks white/cream - which is something you should avoid for an English wedding. I personally wouldn’t be happy if anyone turned up wearing any shade of white when there are so many dress options out there.
    Sorry to be negative but I showed my friends and they all said the same (all British) x
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

So did you wear it? I hope you did and there was no issue x

• M
    South West London
    Maria ·
    • Hide content

Thank you, Jem, for your advice!

And yes, Charlotte, I did wear it and it was absolutely fine 🙌🏻 No one was the least bit bothered and I got quite a few compliments. I’d like to thank you all again for the help, you guys are amazing. Hope every one of you has a very special wedding day! ♥️

• H
    Beginner November 2023 Cornwall
    Holly ·
    • Hide content
    I would say no personally, because the bottom half resembles a wedding dress, not to mention it’s white - it’s a bit of an unspoken rule not to do that.
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ah amazing, so glad it all worked out OK x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics