Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

xoxoxo2017
Beginner May 2017

Is upsizing a dress by 1 (maybe 2) sizes possible if you have the exact same fabric?

xoxoxo2017, 15 of July of 2014 at 15:15 Posted on Planning 0 5

So following on recent dilemmas and another post just now….. I have ordered 1 extra dress in error. I am wondering if I should keep this dress in case a dress needs upsizing more than the hem will allow? Is this even possible to do this, a good seamstress of course? The dress were £40 reduced from £80 so I’ve only spent £200 when I anticipated a £320 spend anyway so gives a £120 lee way for upsizing…. (plus if we donthave to resort to that I have an unworn dress to sell Smiley smile )

This is the dress link…. http://www.bhs.co.uk/en/bhuk/product/wedding-1020484/adult-bridesmaids-1020513/bridesmaid-dresses-1020862/rose-ballet-pink-short-dress-2536507?refinements=category~%5b471576%7c471150%5d&bi=21&ps=20

5 replies

Latest activity by DrBuffles, 17 of July of 2014 at 11:49
  • ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I don't know much about alterations, but when you start altering dresses by a lot and you can lose the shape. It's not as easy as slicing in half a dress into another to make it a big size.

From your other post, it sounds like none of your bridesmaids know what size they will be come the wedding. Can you purchase these dresses in a bigger size than required, much easier to take in than to take out?

I know you have purchased them because they are in the sale, but buying dresses so far in advance will always be met by problems like this, so isn't really the best plan.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

Haha! you're clearly desperate for these dresses. I have no idea if it's possible, but is it worth it?

There are lots of pink dresses out there. Just have another look. That style BHS dress has been around for ages. It might come back into stock with the spring collection. For goodness sake just don't buy dresses for people that are too small.

Personally i think you're putting a lot of pressure on your BMs because of these dress.

I would be a put out if I was them to be honest. What's more important to you? the people in the dress being comfortable and able to enjoy the wedding planning process with you or you having them in these dresses completely stressed out from going to the gym every five minutes?

just a thought...

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

I really don't think it would go well. As someone else has pointed out, the whole shape of the dress would change. It would be horribly intricate, too, and probably cost more than you have saved!

You have ages to go yet and it's far too soon really to be buying the bridemaids' dresses. That's not an unusual style, similar is available from all sorts of stockists, and whilst I know these were a bargain in the sale, it's a false economy if they end up not fitting this time next year and you have buy dresses all over again.

• Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+
    Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+ ·
    • Hide content

Not only will you end up spending out more than you saved the dresses will look awful. To make a gown bigger you have to put a panel in somewhere. If you put it in the sides of the dress the "v" at the front and shoulder straps are going to be sitting much closer to the middle of the neck. You cant put a panel in the front so the v sits in the correct place as that too is going to ruin the look. I think your going to have to bite the bullet and get some bigger ones from somewhere or go for a plan b. It fills me with dread when customers ask us to alter gowns for bridesmaids who have given wrong measurements because it doesnt matter how clever the seamstress is it just ends up looking like youve bought dresses too small.

Try looking on preloved for worn samples or dresses that were purchased and not worn.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Embrace Bridal speaks sense.

I would send the dresses back, and then wait until nearer the time.

I got my bridesmaids dress a month before the wedding as my sister had only just had a baby 4 months before. Not only did I not know what size she would need, but her body shape also changed.

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

Short answer no.

High street dresses will only give a very small seam allowance anyway so will be very hard to make bigger even by a few MM. To add a whole size will make the dress look completely odd.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics