Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hugo Brambles
Beginner August 2002

Is your wedding ring plain or set with stones?

Hugo Brambles, 5 December, 2009 at 16:48 Posted on Planning 0 14

I'm just debating whether to get a plain band or one set with stones, I suppose like an eternity ring. OH thinks the stone set could look too much but I like sparkley! Obviously I'll have to try some on to see which looks best but I just wondered what everyone else had gone for. My engagement ring is a single diamond solitarare.

14 replies

Latest activity by brienne, 7 December, 2009 at 14:05
  • bethanw
    Beginner May 2010
    bethanw ·
    • Hide content

Plain because my engagement ring has quite a few stones in it:

• aliaisp
    Beginner July 2010
    aliaisp ·
    • Hide content

As a rule, i always thought a band set with stones worked better with a solitaire engagement ring, whereas a plain band works better if you have more than one stone. BUT i have seen some other thread on here today which has a multi-stone engagement ring and 'eternity ring' type wedding band. so it really is a case of trying them on together and your personal preference.

i went for a plain one, court shaped (see below). My engagement ring is an Emerald cut diamond in the middle with a tapered baguette on either side. other reason i didnt want to get a stone set band is because I want to save that for an 'eternity ring' which i get later, to either wear on ring finger or on other hand... and i like the traditional look of a plain platinum or gold band. i think it looks really simple and elegant. good luck!

HTH x

• cola
    Beginner September 2010
    cola ·
    • Hide content

I'm going for a plain yellow gold band, my engagment ring is a solitare, but i think its an individual choice. does anyone know when you are supposed to get eternity rings? My mum seems to think its on your 1 year anniversary but i'm not sure she's right.

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

I went for plain as my ER has 7 diamonds and hubby thinks thats enuff! lolololol..

• bygeorge
    bygeorge ·
    • Hide content

Mine is plain. H bought my eternity ring when our first baby was born, not sure if that's the tradition or not though!

• aliaisp
    Beginner July 2010
    aliaisp ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

according to my OH and MIL2B, eternity ring is meant to be after the birth of your first child. not too sure about that, i think 1 year anniversary sounds much more reasonable! i think it can be on any siginificant anniversary (or maybe even bday?)

got this from http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-eternity-rings.htm

"Like wedding rings, eternity rings are a symbol of everlasting love. Although eternity rings are frequently given to celebrate an anniversary or other special event such as the birth of a child, there is no precise occasion for which to give this exceptional gift."

• Maxibon
    Beginner March 2009
    Maxibon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

sweet I see me getting a new ring 3 months after the wedding!!

I'm going for a plain white gold band to go with my white gold diamond solitaire, i love sparkles but i'm loving the plainess of it - doesnt make sense *shakes head*

xx

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

I think i'm either going to go for a plain band or one 'dotted' with daimonds at intervals like this one:

https://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstore/detail/R/5487986/

or this one (i especially love this one)

https://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstore/detail/R/5882672/

but if we went for that kind then we would get it made in white gold to match my ER

my engagement ring is sapphire and two diamonds.

• Juicymelons
    Beginner May 2010
    Juicymelons ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I tried dozens of rings on, I thought I wanted a plain 4mm band, but every time I tried one on with my engagement ring it just didn't float my boat ! Even the width was wrong, it looked too chunky on my finger and next to my ER

I have flashed my wedding ring below and it just enhanced my ER beautifully, it's way more sparkly in real life. But that's what I wanted.

You need to try a selection on to see what suits you and your ER ring.

As I am pushing 40 (next month!) and the chances of me getting an eternity ring for birth of first child are zilch !! I already have one child, my pelvic floor muscles couldn't take another one !!

• Spring
    Beginner February 2008
    Spring ·
    • Hide content

I think plain bands look lovely as it sets of the e-ring nicely. I like the eternity style rings but it didn't go with my type of ring so i went with one that was stone set but they are very small so they don't over power. The only reason i knew this was to try them on so get yourself down to the shops. You'll soon see what looks right.

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

I think it is a total individual choice. Plain bands look gorgeous, simple and classy. On the other side diamonds in a WR can enhance the look of the diamond(s) in the ER. You really need to try different combinations on with your ER to see what suits and what you like.

The other thing to think of is whether you want an eternity ring or not - if you do, maybe a plain WR band would be best. If you don't want an eternity ring you could go with the diamonds in the WR.

I looked at both plain and with diamonds and settled on this:

• A
    Beginner December 2010
    anglefish ·
    • Hide content

I thought i would have to have a plain one i have a single solitaire er as well i thin im getting an eternity ring i tried on a plain band but the more sparkles looked much nicer i say sparkles ha ha x

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

My wedding ring has 3 small diamonds in - princess cut the same as my engagement ring. Will dig out the photos...

• MrsWinwood2B
    Beginner April 2010
    MrsWinwood2B ·
    • Hide content

Mine's plain platinum band, which I think looks simple and classy, but if money hadn't been an issue then I might have looked at one with stones set at intervals. All your rings look lovely ladies!

• brienne
    brienne ·
    • Hide content

As for me, if i am going to choose my wedding ring, it would be a simple bond ring that is not so wide with a couple of small diamonds on it, preferably white gold. Smiley smile

Bijou Wedding Venues

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics