Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

pinkypoo85
Beginner August 2016

Issue with Florist in my Package

pinkypoo85, 17 of November of 2014 at 09:25 Posted on Planning 0 19

I need some advice please lovely Hitched people!

In my package with my hotel I have a florist included to do the tables, nothing else. I have been given the details of this florist and contacted him and I really don’t like his style of work. It’s very twiggy, mossy and lots of random vegetables……not my idea of wedding flowers might be for some but not my cup of tea!! I contacted him explaining that I didn’t like what he had on his website and did he do “normal” so to speak flower arranging. He assured me he did and I asked for examples of this work and if he would meet with me. I am not local to my venue (2hrs away) so it is a case of arranging to meet suppliers when I am down in the area. I emailed him 2 weeks before I went down and heard nothing. I contacted him again and he apologised saying he doesn’t do email. Fair enough but then don’t tell me to contact you by email! He never could provide me evidence of the style of flowers I want and I have googled and googled and found nothing! One of his famed centre pieces is a “Moss Muff” I mean really?!!! ? ?

I have now found a florist I want to use, which I would use anyway for the rest of my flowers. I want to tell my venue that I don’t want to use their florist from the package for the above reasons and I want the flowers taken out and not to pay for them. Firstly how would you word this and secondly do you think I would get this part of the package refunded?

I dare say I am not the first person to actually not like this style of floristry and if he can’t provide me evidence of what I wanted I would not feel happy with having him doing my flowers. I don’t want a moss muff on my table!!!! Also someone who doesn’t really want to meet or contact me worries me.

Advice please ladies!!!

x

19 replies

Latest activity by AnnaMolly, 24 of November of 2014 at 15:38
  • pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I would tweak the words you've used above and send that to the venue. If it's in the contract with them then you need to word it in terms of it breaches the contract therefore you want this part to be excluded etc etc. Sounds rubbish though! I think suppliers sometimes forget who the customer is....xx

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

This ^^^

Try and word it as a breach of contract.

Dont take this the wrong way, but he's probably offended that you emailed him and told him you don't like his work. it would have been better to ask if he can do more traditional arrangements and refrain from criticising his work until you have all the information you need from him.

Anyway, good luck with it.

• pinkypoo85
    Beginner August 2016
    pinkypoo85 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I didn’t actually email and say I didn’t like his work. I contacted him initially and he sent me his examples and links to his website, Instagram and Facebook pages. I then explained it wasn’t what I was looking for and explained what I wanted. He said he understood and he knew his work was unique. I don’t think I offended him and I hope I didn’t. I am worried now!!

As for a breach of contact why is this? How would I word that?

Thanks both xxx

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

I'd take another look at your venue's contract. Mine has "preferred" suppliers, but will work with others locally as they know that their options may not be to everyone's tastes, and within reason will pay the same to selected florist regardless of whether they were on the original list or not. (I've been lucky that I haven't had to do this, but it's an option)

That may not be the case for you, but definitely worth explaining your feelings directly to the venue and see what they say - I'm sure something could be worked out.

And if all else fails, work with their supplier. He's already said he could do something more traditional, so you may need to go the old-fashioned route and work by telephone, as long as he *is* willing to send you photographs of his work in other styles.

Good luck with it!

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

Fair enough... Sorry I misunderstood you.

If he is part of your package you have probably signed a contract agreeing to use him. You now have to convince them that you are within your right to request for him to be excluded.

Check the wording of your contract in respect of the flower arrangements. See if there is anything in there that he should have done and you feel he has failed to do.

Generally, I would stress that you have attempted to meet the chap to discuss your requirements and he has failed to communicate with you and negotiate in respect of the type of flower arrangement you want. You have lost confidence in his service due to his lack of communication and assistance and would like to use someone more reliable.

I'd get this done sooner rather than later.

• Pipsybus
    Beginner June 2015
    Pipsybus ·
    • Hide content

I would imagine if it's part of the package but you choose not to use it, then that's up to you. I can't imagine the venue would refund you any money and you'd have to pay separately for another florist to do your flowers. I think first of all you should speak to the venue, explain that the examples you have seen aren't to your taste and find out what they come up with. If they use this florist all the time they may be able to put your mind at rest and tell you if he's able to do alternate styles that they have seen themselves. As you say, flowers are a personal taste and you can't be the first bride who isn't keen on his style. Also explain to the venue that trying to contact him directly is proving difficult and it's making you a little worried. If they know all of this they can try and help.

Good luck x

• pinkypoo85
    Beginner August 2016
    pinkypoo85 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all for the advice, I am going to email my planner today and see what she says. I have checked the contract and there is nothing in it about the florist just that they will provide flowers to my theme and colour for 7 tables. That is all it says, it doesnt state that I have to use their florist. I have an email from the planner who said she had passed my details onto "their" florist so this might be where I come unstuck. I will keep you posted with how I get on Smiley smile

Schwelley a Moss Muff is this just so you know ? I can't imagine my grandad and what he would say!! ?

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

Well, each to their own, and all that, but one of those ^^^ is NOT what I would want on my tables, so I completely understand your frustrations!!

In fact, I can't think of ANY occasion when that would be something I would consider! I do hope you manage to get something a little more traditional (although perhaps in Anglo Saxon times, this would have been a traditional decoration!!) sorted!

• Pipsybus
    Beginner June 2015
    Pipsybus ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear me!

I'm sure they must be someone's cup of tea but if that was on a table that I was eating at, I'd be constantly looking for wood lice or beetles escaping! It's a little on the rustic side even for me!

I really hope the venue are accommodating of another florist for you!

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I really don't like that "arrangement" at all! What you do need to bear in mind though is you have 20 months until your wedding so it's plenty of time to get this sorted. From what you've added, I think you should be able to agree something different with the venue if they are unable to resolve the current position. Your "deal" includes 7 floral arrangements to your chosen theme and colours, but that's it. That's what you have to focus on them being able to deliver.

From the extra info you've given, I don't think you can claim breach of contract just yet - but if he doesn't come through in terms of matching your colours and theme, then you could as they have told you that is what he will do. Likewise, if his service doesn't improve. But, I would be putting this all at the door of the venue's planner and would be questioning that part of the deal as your contract is with them, not the individual florist by the looks of things. If they are unable to resolve things to the terms of the contract, then I'd be asking for a discount to not use this part of the deal. I wouldn't mention that you prefer to use your own florist for all the flowers even though this makes better sense just yet.

It's a shame you've already contacted the wedding planner because I think you'd have probably been better off just saying you don't want to take advantage of the table decorations bit and would they simply discount, but I think you're too late for that now.

I think if it was me, I'd just take the hit now and tell them I did';t want their flowers and go ahead and arrange my own. The discount is unlikely to be substantial and won't be anywhere near what it would cost you to do this yourself as they'll have "mates rates" etc all agreed. Depends just how far you want to go with it at this early stage. You are likely to have lots more issues crop up over the coming months - so choose your where you want to expend your energies Smiley winking

• S
    Beginner October 2015
    Stephie ·
    • Hide content

How can someone seriously be selling that as a centrepiece?! It looks like he picked it up in the woods.

I don't have much to add, the rest of the advice on here seems pretty good. I doubt that it would constitute a breach of contract, but I can't see that your venue would force you to use him, especially given that he is so "unique"

Good luck ?

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

What Pammy said!

I wonder whether these rather particular arrangements are a unique selling point so he's focussing on them in his online presence in an attempt to stand out from the crowd...?

He is probably perfectly capable of doing more traditional arrangements otherwise your wedding venue wouldn't use him (i would hope).

Whilst the arrangement looks odd, the shape of it might be showing off his technical ability??? I don't know... i'm no expert. What do the florists on here think?

• pinkypoo85
    Beginner August 2016
    pinkypoo85 ·
    • Hide content

Hello All

Just wanted to update you, I emailed my planner and she said that she would encourage me to use the florist as his work is so unique and will make my day….errr not for me thanks! But said if I wished to use my own florist (who is more local than the one they have in the package) then I am welcome to but I have to pay them direct which is ok with me. They will take £200 off the package so that is good! She is still saying I haven’t seen enough of his work despite being shown his full portfolio and read reviews! Must be a family friend of hers or something!

Thanks for the advice! x

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

That's a great outcome - really pleased for you. She might be right but it's up to you at the end of the day and you need to be comfortable in the knowledge that your florist will deliver what you want - not what others might think is amazing! Well done xx

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

Good news! Hope your new florist can deliver what you're looking for!

• L
    Beginner July 2016
    Little_MrsA2B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

^^^^ This!!!!

Good luck with it all. I'm sure the venue would be reasonable about you not wanting to use him. However, if you have signed the contract and committed to paying the price, they may be unwilling to refund you that part.

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Sammyj74 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Pinkypoo85,

Am I right in thinking that you are getting married at Careys Manor? I got married there in July and used their florist as part of the package, and by the sound of what you are saying is still the same one. He is not a fan of the more 'traditional' stuff but after meeting him he went along with what I wanted as I wanted something more traditional than he normally does. He isn't the greatest at contact (he is the first to admit this!!!) but he is an amazing florist and I really liked what he did for us. I also used him to do my bouquet, bridesmaid, buttin holes etc.
    Just thought I would show you what he did for us:

Anyway, just thought this would give you an idea to show that he doesn't always do just the moss stuff ?

Careys Manor is such a beautiful venue for weddings, we had an amazing day there and the wedding planner was great ?

Sam

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Normally a 'muff' is a floral piece for a bridesmaid to put their hands through and, although muffs are normally made of white fur with flowers attached, I have seen them done by florists using other materials such as moss, raffia etc. I would be very surprised if he meant this to be used as a centrepiece! He probably meant that this was his latest unique design that he's trying to push. Maybe it might be a good idea for the venue to take photos of his centrepieces so they can show couples when they book, especially of designs that are not as 'arty' for those people who prefer something a little more traditional. Even more so if the florist doesn't have any other photos of designs to show on his site. You can just imagine the comments if they were on the tables ??

• AnnaMolly
    Beginner October 2015
    AnnaMolly ·
    • Hide content

Wow, that moss thing is... odd.

Glad you got it sorted, it's good the venue could give you some money back. I think it's better if you can have some trust in your suppliers to give you what you actually want!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics