Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Skeptical78
Beginner September 2013

It would *seem* that I can't count.

Skeptical78, 21 May, 2013 at 14:50 Posted on Planning 0 11

I appear to have made a *teeny* faux pas with regards to the registry office ceremony. ?

I had convinced myself that the maximum capacity for the ceremony room was 50 people. Great! We have us, plus 46 guests. Perfect. Even managed to invite my uncle and OH's cousin's new girlfriend as we had room to spare, so final numbers were 50 on the nose, including me and him indoors.

Except...I checked the small print on the paperwork yesterday...and the maximum capacity is 45 PEOPLE! We now have 48 GUESTS. ?

I know, I am an dolt. I DO SUMS FOR A LIVING. How could I have missed this?! I blame wedding stress.

My quandary now is that I can't really uninvite anyone. We will be 3 people over capacity. I am thinking of just asking a few of the +1s (men) if they wouldn't mind waiting in the pub for us for 20 mins or so (thankfully it'll be a short ceremony)...I've only met most of them once or twice so I'm sure they won't be too miffed at missing the ceremony; they still get their free dinner / booze afterwards? Whatcha reckon?

CAUTIONARY TALE: ALWAYS READ THE SMALL PRINT!

11 replies

Latest activity by *Pugsley*, 21 May, 2013 at 20:22
  • Lommel
    Beginner August 2014
    Lommel ·
    • Hide content

I'd speak to the venue first, can a few people stand at the back?

• Indiefluff
    Beginner August 2013
    Indiefluff ·
    • Hide content

This is abit naughty but... would anybody at the registry office notice the 3 extra guests?! *sneaky sneaky*

• J
    Beginner April 2013
    JanetJones ·
    • Hide content

I had this problem. Although I must say it was on a completely difference scale - 60 guests, ceremony in the registry office, reception in the hotel. I somehow managed to convince myself too, that the registry office could hold all the people. On closer inspection though it seemed the max capacity was 35.

Oh dear. They were prepared to squash and squeeze a bit, but 25 over capacity is a bit too much squashing and squeezing. T

IN my case, after much faffing and indecision, I decided to move the ceremony to the hotel instead. But in your case, could there be "standers?" at the back? Kids that can sit on knees? I am sure they can do a bit of squashing and squeezing just to get the extra people in.

Speak to the registry office, they'll shed some light on your options.

• Becklarrr
    Beginner
    Becklarrr ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'd do this before asking people to wait in a pub!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You will be five people over - don't forget yourselves. The problem with trying to sneak people in is if there are a specific number of chairs to match the capacity....

However, does the 45 include the registrar/staff etc? If not, the restriction might be for comfort rather than fire safety. In which case, the register office might let you have a few extra in, as long as they stand/squash a little.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I'd firstly fess up and be honest to the registry office. As others have said, they may be fine with it and able to squeeze a few more in.

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nope- that's OK- it's 45 people excluding the B&G. We get special chairs at the front...! I wonder if it excludes the bridal party too, as technically they're not 'guests'? *clutches at straws*

Thanks for you suggestions. I can imagine it'd be OK to squeeze a few stragglers in. I don't believe for one second that this is the first time this has happened; Portsmouth is after all home of the illiterate and innumerate (including, it would now appear, me).

The registry office has no doubt seen its fair share of 'Jeremy Kyle' weddings; it's not exactly the most salubrious setting! ?

No-one from Pompey could take umbrage at this. If you lived there, you'd know what I mean.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Another straw to clutch at... in our RO wedding there were 4 chairs at the front, for the bride, the groom and 2 witnesses.

Hopefully they won't mind 3 extra standing at the back!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

The important thing is to check that its not fire regulations dictating the numbers. Check with the registry office first. At least its not a massive number of people!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

If its fire regulation restricted you would need to include your TOG in the numbers too!

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

I'd try and do a sneaky cramming in of people.

If it's a seat thing, ask three skinny friends to share 2 seats between 3 people etc, and so on!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics