Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Missdanih85
Beginner August 2014

I've bought the wrong dress! Please help

Missdanih85, 10 of November of 2013 at 13:21 Posted on Planning 0 28

Basically I went dress shopping a week ago with my mum, MIL2b and BM. it was awful. My mum and mil fell out, there was an awful atmosphere and I put £250 on a dress I don't love. I had tried on loads of a line which didnt wow me and then my mum picked out a fishtail which I love the shape of but couldn't have the dress as it was discontinued and I didn't want the sample. So the next shop I went to I tried on a similar dress and although I didn't love it, everyone else did and when the lady offered me 10% off I put £250 on it. ever since, ve had second thoughts. I think its a lovely dress but the lace is so heavy it doesn't have any shape when I walk in it and I think the lace makes my hips look bigger than they are.

Anyway, so I decided to go shopping alone yesterday and taking my mum back next week. I found a few dresses I like and wanted your opinion on them. Still not decided n what to do in regards to the £250. What do you think?

The original dress

P

new dress 1: maggie sottero Asher

New dress 2: maggie sottero jacee

28 replies

Latest activity by Bride2Bmarch15, 20 of November of 2013 at 17:12
  • charliejack
    Beginner October 2014
    charliejack ·
    • Hide content

They all look nice on you but i like the last dress on you the best as it shows off your figure xx

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

The original dress is my favourite, the others are of a similar style so it looks like you're comfortable with the shape, do you think that it was the pressure of the day that has changed your mind? Are you able to go back by yourself and try it on again?

• Missdanih85
    Beginner August 2014
    Missdanih85 ·
    • Hide content

I went back by myself and still wasn't in love with it. I tried on every other dress in the shop (it's a small boutique) and didnt like anything else. I just don't feel amazing in it. To me it seems very heavy and I wanted something a little more floaty. Losing the £250 and buying another dress up to £1750 will still keep me within budget luckily. I just want t ensure I make the right decision this time.

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

A similar thing happened to me too so you have my sympathy! I put a £250 deposit down but was going back this month to actually get measured and order it. It turned out that I'd only put a deposit down to fix the price and so I got my money back without a problem when I changed my mind.

I actually love your original dress but know that if you're not happy in it then it's no good as you won't feel great on the day. Out of the two new dresses, I love the first one - the lace looks much more delicate and the coloured belt sets it off very nicely.

• slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content

I think the last dress is perfect - although they all suit you ! £250 is a fair bit of money but if I was told I had to pay £250 on the day to feel comfortable to me it's a no brainier ! X

• Bride2Bmarch15
    Beginner March 2015
    Bride2Bmarch15 ·
    • Hide content

Me personally I absolutely love the first one on you , I like the sparkle but one thing I would change is the belt , I'd have the long bit at the back and sew on some bling ! You can buy Already designed pieces from platinum bridal and sew it onto the belt. I got some samples from their site and they are stunning and would really set that dress off .

• Bride2Bmarch15
    Beginner March 2015
    Bride2Bmarch15 ·
    • Hide content

I love the first on eabove the others but it is how u feel so you do what u feel is the best. Just remember a whole load of that length will be taken off so wornt look ad heavy then. I am not keen on the lace of the second one it has so many layers at the bottom although I like the belt contrast. The third one is quite summery

• Missdanih85
    Beginner August 2014
    Missdanih85 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm taking my mum to see the new 2 on Saturday and have just booked one more appointment at a shop that does all my fave designers for Sunday. Fingers crossed.

• S
    Beginner September 2014
    Samantha91 ·
    • Hide content

You have to be happy and comfortable with what you choose, make sure family know you appreciate their opinions but politely point out that the decision is yours. Y

The £250 you put on the dress is it non refundable or could you get your money back? Don't wear something that you are not in love with or that doesn't make you feel anything less than amazing.

I really like the look of the two dresses but have to say that the maggies sottero asher is my favourite on you, it gives you an especially amazing figure. I hope everything works out.

• PinkButterfly
    Beginner June 2014
    PinkButterfly ·
    • Hide content

Honest opinion I don't like the first dress and would have to agree with you regarding the heavy look of the lace.

the other two dresses are gorgeous and my vote would have to go with the Maggie dress.

usually when you place you deposit you get a 7day grace period where you can back out and claim back your deposit, did the store offer this to you when you placed your order your £250 may not be lost!

• InWineTheresTruth
    Beginner July 2015
    InWineTheresTruth ·
    • Hide content

Can't you use the £250 as credit and get your veil andhair peice shoes etc there? I actually think your dress that you originally chose looks the nicest out of the lace dresses ... but last chiffon one seems more what you said you wanted? is lovely on you x

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

I have to admit that I like the dress you paid the deposit on.

What matters though is that you're happy & comfortable. For the sake of £250 (which unfortunately in wedding planning terms often is nothing) you should forget that and go with your gut and your heart. If you're not happy with number 1, move on. But make sure you're 100% sure next time, don't let other people sway you... It's your wedding, not theirs.

• emmiejune
    Beginner December 2013
    emmiejune ·
    • Hide content

I think the last one really stands out (might just be that it is different to the others) but they all look gorgeous. I would go for the last one though.

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

I think the original is best

• kharding2014
    Beginner October 2014
    kharding2014 ·
    • Hide content

I actually agree with you about the first one being too heavy. I nearly brought a heavy lace dress too. The one I went for in the end was still lace but it had much more of a flow to it.

I like both of the 2 new dresses and couldn't actually choose between them. The first is a beautiful dress and the second really suits your curves.

I know you would loose £250 but if you aren't sure on the first dress the pics will stay with you forever. If you aren't 100% comfortable it will show on your face.

x

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

I think the last dress suits you best, it looks lovely on you.

I think the first two kind of cut you in half and make your top half look bigger. If you like lace, the third one is the best out of the three lace dresses, but the fourth dress suits you the best.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Either of the 2 new dresses for me. The first is a gorgeous dress, but it doesn't look as nice on you as the other 2. £250 is a lot of money, but it's a small price to pay for you to be happy on the day.

• IGB2B
    Beginner May 2014
    IGB2B ·
    • Hide content

I think you look loveky in all the dresses but the original one is my favourite!

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

Wow you look stunning in all three, so don't panic... you def have one of those figures that suits these shape wedding dresses!!

you need to feel confortable though and you obviously dont like the first dress so cut your losses and swallow the £250 wastage.

Maybe if you're still umming and ahhing over two others, you havent found 'the one' yet so i say keep looking.

But whatever you decide you will look amazing in any of them! Smiley smile let us know what you end up with!!!

• MischiefMumma
    Beginner August 2014
    MischiefMumma ·
    • Hide content

New dress 1 for me, it looks beautiful on you, I think the bandage wrap effect on the 2nd new dress is beautiful but i think it draws a lot of attention to your hips and as you said that you think your hips are wide already (personally think youre mad because youre figure is gorgeous!!) I dont think youd feel as comfortable having all attention drawn there.

Good luck!

Debbi xxx

• Mispinkprincess
    Beginner September 2014
    Mispinkprincess ·
    • Hide content

I really like new dress no 1

• Missdanih85
    Beginner August 2014
    Missdanih85 ·
    • Hide content

Hi everyone,

So first of all I managed to get half of my £250 back from the original dress shop so some good news there. Then I took my mum shopping at the weekend and we saw the 2 new dresses but also tried some others, and I found 'the one' and had the feeling and everything! So so so pleased. The photos just don't do it justice at all, it's Sophia Tolli Osha but the photo of it on the model is rubbish as I think she is wearing a huge hoop so you can't see how the skirt flows. On the pic of me, the lighting is awful in the shop and is reflecting off the bodice (which is big on me) to make it look rubbish! But you can see how the skirt falls better. Now I need to find some shoes...

• W
    Beginner March 2014
    WelshSam ·
    • Hide content

Glad you've finally made a choice and got some of your deposit back, the dress looks gorgeous and actually looks a mix of all the styles you have posted ?

• Bride2Bmarch15
    Beginner March 2015
    Bride2Bmarch15 ·
    • Hide content

This is very usuall which I love :-) best of both here Cinderella and classy lace :-). Great choice!

• Bride2Bmarch15
    Beginner March 2015
    Bride2Bmarch15 ·
    • Hide content

When do you get married ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics