Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

tinkerbelly1983
Beginner October 2011

I've cancelled my hen do... need inspiration for something new!

tinkerbelly1983, 8 May, 2011 at 18:39 Posted on Planning 0 14

A friend of mine organised my hen do, a night at a cabaret in London with dinner and then a big night out. Initially I was excited about it but then I started thinking of cost (it was gonna be well over £100 each not including drinks), people were dropping out because of cost and the fact that I dont actually drink that much and I hate nightclubs! So after much deliberation I fessed up and said I didn't want to do it anymore. Now I'm trying to think of something else to do instead which is a bit more purse friendly and more 'me'. I thought about a BBQ and a tea party kinda thing but living with the in-laws at the mo and MIL isn't too keen on a housefull of girlies! (I think she's being a bit selfish really, its not like I throw parties every weekend! but ho-hum, its her house) and I dont know anyone else that has a nice big house & garden to host it. Then today I thought of going to Thorpe Park, could work out fairly cheap if we all car shared and got the 2 for 1 tickets. I know not everyone likes theme parks but the most important people to me definitely do! So they'd all be there and I'm thinking sod everyone else lol!

Does anyone else have any ideas of something cheap that doesn't revolve around booze?

14 replies

Latest activity by FutureMrsRon, 10 May, 2011 at 16:54
  • S
    Beginner October 2011
    superlauren321 ·
    • Hide content

Im having the same dilemna at the moment, a night of drinking is definately not my thing! thorpe park sounds good, and like you said if the people closest to you would go then thats the most important thing. what about an adventure day, like goape (dont know if there's anything like that near you) or paintballing?

hope you get something sorted soon!

xxx

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    superlauren321 ·
    • Hide content

Ooh ive just noticed you get married the day before me! xxx

• L
    Beginner September 2012
    Little Rhi ·
    • Hide content

Would you enjoy a spa day? There a few places doing packages/deals atm so may not work out so expensive??

Or would one of your friends hold a girly evening at her house? I think you can get people to come and do a pamper evening at houses as well?

Im with you on the nightclub thing I am not a massive fan, so think we will be having a girly eveing or spa.

xx

• avintagebride
    Beginner March 2012
    avintagebride ·
    • Hide content

I've been considering this for one of my Hen Do's!

http://goape.co.uk/

• avintagebride
    Beginner March 2012
    avintagebride ·
    • Hide content

Or....

http://www.itsaknockout.net/

• tinkerbelly1983
    Beginner October 2011
    tinkerbelly1983 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks guys, Go Ape looks amazing! I'd loooooove that and theres one fairly nearby ? Definitely looking into that & thinking of following it with a nice relaxing meal in a country pub somewhere... feeling a bit better about it now, theres so much pressure to make it into an unforgettable 'last night of freedom' and I really don't see it like that. I gave up my 'freedom' when I met my H2B and I couldn't be happier, I dont miss it one little bit!

• tinkerbelly1983
    Beginner October 2011
    tinkerbelly1983 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yay almost date twin! and I'm called Lauren too! how spooky

• MrandMrsFord
    Beginner November 2011
    MrandMrsFord ·
    • Hide content

I'm having a big weekend hen thing but I've saved for mine and so have the guests, and the ones who I thought could do with a cheaper arrangement, are just coming to the evening part. I'm doing several things but one of them is a spa day. Those can work out cheap if you find somewhere that's out of London? (I'm going to the sanctuary spa which for a bride on a budget would be a disaster, it's £83 pp) but there are loads of cheaper ones!

MY favourite spa in the world is the centre parcs aqua sana in longleat forest. They do stay over packages for not too much cash!

I also like the idea of a tea party, maybe with a theme! I'm having alice in wonderland cocktails served in hats at the evening part of day 2 of my hen weekend and you could make your own drinks, that way you dont have to drink as you wont feel you are going out for that purpose, tea party or bbq, both sound nice! Smiley smile

Just remember it's YOUR night/day/weekend whatever, and not anyone elses! Smiley smile

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

There are all sorts of packages and activities you can do if you shop around.

My wedding cake lady does cupcake decorating parties combined with a vinatage style afternoon tea. I am sure other cake producers do the same. Go Ape is awesome! Really good fun,

There are some companies that will set up a scavenger hunt for you and your hens. Or maybe cooking lessons? Dance lessons? acting lessons? Some hotels are doing pyjama party packages where you hire a suite and they supply films, popcorn etc.

50's photo shoot. Think this starts at £30 per person and they come to you http://www.vintagepamperbox.com/

• Dollyrockerz
    Beginner October 2011
    Dollyrockerz ·
    • Hide content

I'm thinking afternoon tea for my hen night (if I have to have one) and maybe a few drinks afterwards

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Go ape is awesome, went with my OH not on a hen do and loved it (and Im scared of heights!)

We went glamping which was great fun, can recommend my site if you are up north but they have places all over country, you can have a BBQ or afternoon tea and silly party games and its really good fun

• sparkelly
    Beginner December 2011
    sparkelly ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm thinking of afternoon tea as well! The places that we have looked at all offer a set package so people know what they are paying and what they will get for it.

A hen do that I'm going on quite soon has all different parts to it over the course of the day so that people can pick and choose what they want to do: cupcake making, then a picnic in the park where we all bring something to eat/drink, then dinner, then drinks. I am going for the cupcakes and picnic but can't stay for dinner and drinks.

If people can't afford to do the whole thing then it might be nice to be able to offer parts that they can come to so that it's more affordable.

• Aimee Hicks (Makeup HIB)
    Aimee Hicks (Makeup HIB) ·
    • Hide content

I went on a cheerleading lesson during the day for my hen do and it was brilliant fun all my friends came and loved it. They also do burlesque dancing, Fame, 80's etc.

We then went out for a meal afterwards and then drinks.

Aimee x

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

I kept having loads of brilliant ideas that were either too expensive or so very me that nobody else would actually enjoy it!

I've now decided that we'll be going ice skating on the outdoor rink, then dinner somewhere lovely then a cocktail making class - I'm not one for going out on the lash but I do enjoy cocktails and as I originally wanted to do a cookery class this is half my idea of fun, half everyone else's!!

?

Everyone keeps telling me to just do what I want, people will come anyway but I want people to WANT to come, not just feel like they have to be cause it's me, IYKWIM?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics