Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner July 2012

I've caught the wedding bug!! Help?

lucilledd, 10 March, 2012 at 09:33 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi All

I'm a bride-to-be (July!) and have really been infected with the wedding bug so I'm looking to open a bridal boutique!

I'm in the process of trying to buy one in a town centre near me but I'm beginning to wonder if a High Street prescence is essential? I know that as I've been searching for 'the One', I've visited many out of town boutiques who carried the designer I was looking for but maybe that's just me. What do you all think?

I love the idea of some premises I've found (a converted barn) which are in beautiful countryside surroundings, free parking and only around 1 mile from a town centre. Just imagine sparkling wine on arrival and panoramic views while your nearest and dearest attend your lovely, intimate first wedding dress try-on!

I worry that I'll sit twiddling my thumbs waiting for appointments as the store won't necessarily have any footfall! I will of course do the wedding fayres and try and advertise like crazy but would you seek out your dress online and travel if we are the only stockists of your chosen designer in a 20 mile radius of where you live? Any help from B-2-B's is greatly appreciated! ??

5 replies

Latest activity by lucilledd, 10 March, 2012 at 11:38
  • Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

Hi Lucille,

I got my dress from Berketex as I just fell in love with it but I definitely enjoyed the experience of more remote boutiquey sort of places. I got my bridesmaids dresses from a hidden litte shop in a lesser loved part of Portsmouth and the people and experience was so much better than in the shops in town.

• **Shelley**
    Beginner October 2012
    **Shelley** ·
    • Hide content

Ooh how exciting!!

I visited in town bridal shops as well as village ones and honestly preferred the personal touch of the village birdal shops and have purchased my dress from the first one I went to originally.

I felt the in town shop staff were very robotic and my experience in them was rushed.

The location is VERY important. Having free parking is certainly a great perk. I also think offering refreshments would have been nice but guess you have to protect the dresses etc.

I wish you all the best! I am sure you will make a success. There's a bride in every woman! Smiley surprise)

xx

• Going2theChapel
    Beginner March 2013
    Going2theChapel ·
    • Hide content

I prefer them to be out of town and quaint too. I havent even considered and in town bridal shop or seen many for that matter. I like to be able to go to one that I can book an appointment with and know that that time is mine and no one is going to walk in off the high street or glaring in the window whilst I try on dresses! I kind of understand that the high street will offer front line advertising at first. But once you have established yourself at shows, newspapers, mags, online, there will be plenty of appointments to keep you busy! You dont really want to have people bundling in the shop off the highstreet, it makes business sense to be able to deal closely with your clients as they choose the dress for the biggest day of their lives. You will gain repeat customers for this, as people will pass on their personal experience shopping with you.

I cant imagine anything worse than being more than 2 people in a bridal shop at one time trying on dresses, and prefer to be the only one

• Going2theChapel
    Beginner March 2013
    Going2theChapel ·
    • Hide content

And to be in town or on the highstreet you will pay the price too! When there is really no need to as you customer base is different to the average shopper

• Going2theChapel
    Beginner March 2013
    Going2theChapel ·
    • Hide content

AND! lol when bride to be's go shopping for their wedding dress, they usually go to certain places, not just a random trip into town that ends up in dress shopping.

• L
    Beginner July 2012
    lucilledd ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your input - it's brilliant!!! This is giving me a really good feeling about the quaint location!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics