Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

V
Beginner August 2013

I've changed my mind about my dress:0((((

vintagerose, 23 September, 2012 at 15:11

Posted on Planning 79

Has anyone else out there had a dress wobble? Bought my dress last weekend in a sale so it's non returnable and now I'm beside myself as I think I've made a big mistake! It's is a beautiful dress but it will need taking up considerably as I'm only 5ft 2 and I'm worried that taking it up soon much...

Has anyone else out there had a dress wobble? Bought my dress last weekend in a sale so it's non returnable and now I'm beside myself as I think I've made a big mistake! It's is a beautiful dress but it will need taking up considerably as I'm only 5ft 2 and I'm worried that taking it up soon much will spoil the flare of the dress, I've also decided that I dont like the neckline as its a v neck lace with capped sleeves and I just feel that it's too modest, that it covers me up too much arghh! My sisters and my mum thinks its gorgeous but I just don't see it, I think I kind of went along with the whole thing as everyone was telling me how lovely it's was and that it was e only one they had and it would likely be snapped up if I didn't get it there and then..... I've been sobbing my heart out every time I think about it! I really don't know what to do! Help! X

79 replies

• T
    Beginner December 2012
    techbride ·
    • Hide content

Personally I think this dress is absolutely stunning, the lace is beautiful and the neckline is really classic. But if you're not comfortable in it you're not comfortable, and you do have to look at the pictures on your mantelpiece for the rest of your life! In my experience it's easy for other people to influence your day to the point of forgetting that it's actually your (and your OH's) day, and your happiness is paramount! If you're unhappy with what you're wearing you won't enjoy the day because you'll be too busy worrying about what you look like to concentrate on having a good time. Why not have a mooch around some sample sales, see if you can pick up a bargain? and maybe go on your own this time so you can really focus on what you want, and how you feel?

• V
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagerose ·
    • Hide content

Just to update... I have visited a recommended seamstress and we discussed having the neckline altered etc and its all very much do-able! She totally put my mind at rest and guarantees it will be my perfect dress once she has altered it! I'm actually really happy and relaxed about it all now, wobbles have disappeared! I shall post pics of it when she has worked her magic! X

• Tallulaha
    Beginner November 2012
    Tallulaha ·
    • Hide content

Vintage Rose, I know you're feeling better now but I just had to say - wow that dress looks stunning on you with or without your alterations you're going to be a stunning bride, you have nothing to worry about!!

• V
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagerose ·
    • Hide content

Aww thank you, that's really kind of you to say. Hopefully it will all work out fine....now I'm stressing about my weight, my hair, my veil..... Blimey, it's quite emotionally draining this wedding lark! Xxx

• Tallulaha
    Beginner November 2012
    Tallulaha ·
    • Hide content

Yeah we've all been there its all normal but dont worry it gets better, I only have 3 wks to go and all the stress about my dress, weight, hair seem silly now!

• K
    Beginner January 2012
    kellouloud ·
    • Hide content

Very pretty I think it could be made sleeveless x

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

Its beautiful, I love it exactly the way it is and it looks fab on your figure, but I'm sure whatever alterations you have will look lovely too.

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

Stunning dress! Can't wait to see what you do with it Smiley smile

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I love this dress and it really suits you. This lace style with sleeves seems to the way dresses are going now and I see more of them in dress shop windows than strapless ones.

• Fergo
    Beginner December 2012
    Fergo ·
    • Hide content

That really is one stunning dress.

So glad you've taken it to someone who can make it perfect for you and your wobbles are disappearing.

• V
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagerose ·
    • Hide content

Alterations to my dress should be finished any day now..eeeek!!!. Desperate to see the results but also very, very scared too...I keep worrying... What if I like it even less?? Oh sweet Jesus the waiting us killing me!!!!

• HollieBerry
    Beginner June 2014
    HollieBerry ·
    • Hide content

You look stunning x

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I'm almost scared to ask, but what did you have done to it? I think it was lovely.

• S108HAN
    Beginner August 2013
    S108HAN ·
    • Hide content

I bought mine in a closing down sale. It's tagged as a size 12 and I've dieted until I'm a size 10 high street sizing (see ticker below) and it's still 3" off doing up. Also, I've now noticed the appliqué is off-centre slightly and now I can see that, I can 'unsee' it and it's driving me mental.

I figure, if I've not lost the 3" by end of July, I'm going to LightInTheBox, who have smashed it with my lovely bridesmaid dresses, and putting what I've bought on eBay.

• V
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagerose ·
    • Hide content

I've had it taken up but also had the neckline of the lace overlay opened up to more of a sweet heart! Hope I've done the right thing!!

• A
    Beginner July 2013
    anderr1 ·
    • Hide content

I had a real wobble but went and tried it on again they took the sash off and the wobble was all gone. Now just trying to find a belt/ sash that I do like. You look amazing by the way. Rx

• A
    Beginner December 2013
    Amaranth ·
    • Hide content

That's a beautiful dress! Hopefully the alterations will make you feel better in it, but it truly does look gorgeous on you. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

I think your dress is absolutely gorgeous.

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

Your dress was on my wishlist for ages!! I just love it! However when I tried it on this style just looked awful on me... I'm so jealous of how amazing you look in it!

Please keep this beautiful dress!!

Can't wait to see alteration pics Smiley smile x

p.s i too am not a fan of 'the box'... all dresses look sooo much nicer when stood on a box, but it's height we can never replicate on the day!!

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Can't wait to see the alterations. I thought it was a gorgeous dress and I'm sure it still will be.

• C
    Beginner October 2014
    catnor ·
    • Hide content

It's a beautiful dress. I want something just like yours for an October wedding.

• V
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagerose ·
    • Hide content

Oh my goodness! My dress is finally ready to be collected on Friday... Hopefully I'll be so pleased with it I'll proudly post an updated picture ... I dread to think what I'll do if its not! If you don't hear from me by the weekend...assume the worst!!! Arghhh!!! Scared!!

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Vintagerose your dress is very similar to mine so I'm looking forward to seeing your alterations. I want mine altering from a zip back to a corset back as I need an extra few cms over the boobage and I need some taking off the length. I've found the seamstress now I need to find the courage to have it done. I share your anxieties!

Edit; when do you get married? I'm only asking because I don't know if it's too soon to have my alterations done.

• V
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagerose ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married 10th August but first saw the seamstress last October/ November to talk through alterations but she didn't touch it until after Xmas, think I took it to her in Feb. I'm terrified! 42 hours and I'll know how it's all turned out...STRESSS!!

• V
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagerose ·
    • Hide content

As promised here is the finished dress! the satin gown goes underneath the lace - I had the lace neck altered from a v neck to a sweetheart. What do you think???? i feel much happier with it now and finally feel special in it, not sure I have the confidence to take off the lace later in the evening yet, feels a bit too clingy at the moment! But the seamstress has worked wonders as I'm sure lace was pretty tricky to work with. Hope you all like the changes too! x

• M
    Beginner March 2014
    Mary C to be K ·
    • Hide content

I can't see it ☹️ Glad you're happier with it now.

• B
    Beginner July 2014
    blueypye ·
    • Hide content

I cant see the pictures either lovely x

• S
    Beginner May 2014
    Sazzle85 ·
    • Hide content

I think you look amazing in that dress...most dresses are strapless so I think it's nice to have something different with the cap sleeves. Also it will look fabulous with your country/vintage theme! You could also take the lace part of the dress off for the evening celebrations for something a bit different as you have 2 dresses in one!

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Cant see the pictures but glad it worked out

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Boo the pictures dont show on my PC!

• S108HAN
    Beginner August 2013
    S108HAN ·
    • Hide content

I can't see the pictures either. ☹️

• V
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagerose ·
    • Hide content

Oh no!! Why won't the pics show?? Any idea how to add a picture from my iPhone?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics