Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Spring
Beginner February 2008

I've just started Slimming World

Spring, 23 July, 2008 at 21:28

Posted on Beauty & Wellbeing 99

Feeling a bit rubbish after the meeting because i didn't find the woman very helpful. I've got the pack but it obviously doesn't have all the sins in. What books would you recommend that i get to help me through this please?

Feeling a bit rubbish after the meeting because i didn't find the woman very helpful. I've got the pack but it obviously doesn't have all the sins in.

What books would you recommend that i get to help me through this please?

99 replies

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They're a healthy extra because of the calcium. If you don't eat them all, you're not taking in the required amount of calcium, therefore it's no longer a HE. Does that make sense?

• Batfink
    Beginner January 2008
    Batfink ·
    • Hide content

But surely some calcium is better than no calcium? And you should be able to make it up with milk. That sounds like a stupid rule to me, might ask why this is the case. (Not getting at you, just think it might be a bit stupid of SW).

• Spring
    Beginner February 2008
    Spring ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes that makes sense, thanks Mel. I assume that works with the HE B as well then as i wanted a Shredded wheat last night but it said 1 x Shredded wheat and 1 x Ryvita. So i count the SW as a syn if i don't have the Ryvita? If i buy the SW bite size it might be easier as i can just weigh out 28g then.

Today i have had 2 x Quorn sausages, beans, 2 x nimble toast, scramble egg and 2 x Hash browns

So that was 4 syns for the hash browns, 1 x HE A for the milk added to the egg (I'll use the rest on tea) and 1 x HE B's for the toast.

Doing well so far. I've had my shopping delivered to there's loads of snacks in there too

• M
    Beginner January 2008
    Mad ·
    • Hide content

Thats really good spring, how are you finding it?

I think I've got a lot to learn, I didn't even use all my HE's yesterday. Pants, must eat more...now theres something I thought i;d never say.

• Spring
    Beginner February 2008
    Spring ·
    • Hide content

Hi Mad

I'm really liking it so far. I actually think you have to use them for this to work as far as i know.

Even H said he's going to do it with me so that makes it easier when cooking.

Are you using the website as that makes it so much easier for me?

• M
    Beginner January 2008
    Mad ·
    • Hide content

I'm writing a food diary on the sheets she gave me. I think it just feels naughty if I'm eating fo the sake of eating rather than because I;m hungry. i sent hubby out to buy some quavers this afternoon, just so I;ve used some.

anyone know can I used all 4 HE's on cheese?

• Spring
    Beginner February 2008
    Spring ·
    • Hide content

I think you can as it's a HE A & B so i can't see why not.

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Each healthy extra is measured to ensure it has the minimum daily required amount of calcium. If you start mixing them up, there's no longer a guarantee that you're taking in that minimum amount. IMO, if you only want 2 triangles, use your full A on milk and count the 2 triangles as 2 syns.

Mad - yes you can use all four HEs on cheese. Cheese is a B choice as well as an A choice, so you can have 4oz of cheese if you wish. I never have as I like my bread too much to 'waste' B choices on cheese!

• M
    Beginner
    mrsng ·
    • Hide content

Hiyah Ladies

Im doing SW too. this is my 6th week and I have lost 15lbs so far. The trick to SW is to eat lots of free foods, but you should also try and have about 10 foods marked with an (s) a day. these are speed foods so will help you loose weight. So rather than having a banana have some melon or instead of grapes have cherries.....it really makes a difference.

Some great snacks for syns are Skinny Cow choc mint lollies are 4.5 syns, aero mint snack size are 5.5syns, walkers baked crisps are 5.5syns.

In our class the women that are loosing the most are the ones who have one treat a day and use the rest of their syns in their cooking (sauces etc).

Some favourite meals I have had:

Green

FREE - Potato wedges, baked beans and poached egg - I love this meal and have a bowl full!

FREE - Sausage jambalya (out of this months magazine) - its gorgeous

FREE + h/e - Eggy Pasta - cook a pan of spaghetti, on a bowl mix 3 eggs with dried parsley, fry light some chopped bacon using h/e. When pasta is cooked pour egg mixture and bacon over spaghetti and heat in a pan until the egg mixture looks like scrambled egg. (this is so tasty - cheats carbonara) If you have a halthy a left you can add cheese too.

Leek and potato soup - 4 leeks and 6 potatoes - chop and soften in fry light in a frying pan. Use a chicken stock cube made up to 1.5 pints of water (use sysns for stock cube) top up with half pint of milk (use allowance) and mix together and simmer for 40 mins, then hand whisk to what ever consistancy you like. My kids like this too!!!

FREE - Pepper quiche - beat 3 eggs, add tub of natural cottage cheese and mix add salt n pepper and seasoning to taste (handwhisk if yuo want a thinner consistancy). Chop red, yellow peppers, red onion. Mix everything together and pour into a flan dish. Stick on medium heat for about 40 mins, until it is set. Its gorgeous hot or cold and a grewat snack food on a green day if you are hungry!

Red Day

Pork stirfry (use tesco lite sweet n sour sauce half a jar is 3.5 syns) with a whole pack of stiry fry veg.

Mixed grill - gammon, quorn sausages, bacon, steak, and roasted vegtables.

I love GREEN days. Good luck. I have found the trick is, the night before plan what you are eating the following day, you dont get chance to cheat then either. If you can plan your week, even better.

Good luck ladies

Nicky

x

• Spring
    Beginner February 2008
    Spring ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Nicky that's really helpful. I find it much easier to plan the day before too rather than wait until you get home to see what's in the cupboard.

• M
    Beginner January 2008
    Mad ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for that mrssng

i think my problem is that i think the more I eat the worse it will be, I think its probably a bit of a mental block to be honest.

My other problem is that I save all my syns for 'later', i used to do the same with ww, eat free stuff, and frew points during the day and so i had lots to munch on in the evening.

• Spring
    Beginner February 2008
    Spring ·
    • Hide content

So far today i have had grapes and strawberries which are free and for lunch i had a Batchelors Pasta n sauce which again is free if mixed with just water and a kit kat which it 5.5 syns. I also had a slice of bread as my HE B.

I'm stuffed. Looking forward to my weigh in just to see if I've lost anything.

• M
    Beginner January 2008
    Mad ·
    • Hide content

Ok today

tub of fresh mango and strawberries

let over veggie jambalaya and half a baked pot with a LC triangle (HE A)

banana

two slices wholemeal bread (2x HE B) 2LC triangles (rest of the HE A), with salad, quorn slice, a 3 desert spoons of fat free vinagrette dressing.

so i have to eat two triangle and have something for my syns.

actually i better check the quorn slice is free.

How is everyone else doing?

• E
    Ellen23 ·
    • Hide content

Anyone know this weeks password SW please?

• M
    Beginner January 2008
    Mad ·
    • Hide content

Football is still working i think, don't know this weeks yet

• Spring
    Beginner February 2008
    Spring ·
    • Hide content

Today I've had plums then for lunch i had a Baxter's soup from the HE B list with a slice of bread for the other HE B and a creme caramel as a syn (I think it was 5). I've also had some of the milk in my tea and I'll have the rest throughout the day. I'm on a Red today as I've got chicken to use so off to have a nose at the recipes.

• gemgems
    Beginner
    gemgems ·
    • Hide content

Afternoon ladies. Can I please join you?

I started SW (from home) this morning. I am not going to classes yet as I just dont have the time (or a babysitter lol).

I originally started SW January 2007 and between Jan-Jun I lost just over 3st. I found out I was pregnant in Jul and kept going but didnt do very well as I was drinking 4 pints of milk each day and therefore using hundred of syns so I stopped going but tried hard to be good at home.

After DD2 was born I was only 4lbs away from my pre-pregnancy weight but these past 3 months since her birth has seen me gain over a stone and I now weigh nearly as much as I did at 9 months of pregnancy! I think Mad said she was the same so am pleased I am not the only person to do this!

I am going to be 30 in March 2009 and would love to lose around 4st between now and then which will be the least I have weighed for nearly 11 years - in fact I havent weighed under 13st for 10 years so that alone would be a huge huge thing for me.

I currently weigh 15st 9lbs ☹️ so I have a long way to go yet.

Could do with some support as even when I attend meetings its the in-between times when you could do with some help so we could all lend a hand as and when needed maybe.

Have made meal plans for the next week which shouldnt be too hard to stick to and am going shopping once DD1 has woken up.

Hope everyone is having a good day and feeling positive.

Gemma

P.S. Sorry for the long rambling post!

• GMT
    Beginner December 2008
    GMT ·
    • Hide content

Hallo fellow SWers (or Wobbly Women, as my colleague calls us!)

It is nice to know we're not alone in our struggle to fight the flab.I joined SW at the end of May and have lost almost a stone so far. Not as much as lots of people but my weight seems to yo-yo alarmingly no matter how well I stick to the plan.

I'm like one of the other posters here (sorry, can't see who it was, damn this new fangled Hitched LOL) in that I hate weighing stuff. So I don't - I choose all the foods - and there are lots - which don't need weighing out. As much as possible I eat free foods and save my syns for treats, like a bag of Snack a Jacks, a glass of wine, or similar. I suspect I may be guilty, though, of not having quite enough syns, often enough, so I will try adjusting my intake and see what happens.

I do like SW because you can eat so much on it - both my mum and my OH have said in the past, in disbelief .... "Can you REALLY have all that?!"

Yes, I can!!!!

I am going to try and find the on-line food diary - for soem reason this has eluded me but it sounds a good idea, especially as our consultant is not giving out the sheets willy-nilly any more.

Whoever it was asking for the password, you should have been given it by your consultant? I'd drop her an email or call her up and ask her for it, if you've forgotten what it is or missed a class.

• M
    Beginner January 2008
    Mad ·
    • Hide content

Hiya gemgems of course you can come and join us, the more the merrier. I must say it;s been really ncie since last weeks class to come and chat to others on here to check things out. It's nice to know others are in the same situation.

• GMT
    Beginner December 2008
    GMT ·
    • Hide content

Nice of you to welcome me too, Mad LOL!

• M
    Beginner January 2008
    Mad ·
    • Hide content

I think we must have posted at the same time GMT, sorry. Welcome to you too, how are you doing?

• GMT
    Beginner December 2008
    GMT ·
    • Hide content

Sorry Mad, no offence intended!

I had to go and get some luch from the supermarket unexpectedly as my work plans for a London trip got cancelled at the list minute (has bought my train tickets and was standing on the station platofrm!). So instead of my usual scrummy salad box, I had...

Wholemeal roll (HE B), Leerdammer Light cheese (HE A), a peach, some strawbs & rasps and a Diet Coke. got an apple to much on later. How about you?

• M
    Beginner January 2008
    Mad ·
    • Hide content

I've had 2 mullerlight yogs, a pear, and a bowl of rice salad...ohh and 2 pickled onions.

feel like i've been munching all day, but when you write it down its not too bad.

• Spring
    Beginner February 2008
    Spring ·
    • Hide content

Hi Gemgems and GMT. I'm sure we can all support each other through this.

Going for my weigh in now so I'll report back later.

ETA I've just got back and I've lost 4lb this week so I'm ?

• Batfink
    Beginner January 2008
    Batfink ·
    • Hide content

Yay - 6 and a half pound loss on my first week. I'm so pleased as I stuck to it religiously.

A couple of things I found out from my group leader were that you don't have to use a minimum of five syns a day if you're finding it easy without, and that you don't have to count your Healthy Extras as syns if you don't eat them all, only count syns over your healthy extra limit. So maybe different group leaders have different opinions but this seems sensible. (And I'm happy cos it works well for me).

Hope you all had a good week, well done Spring for your loss, that's fab.

• M
    Beginner January 2008
    Mad ·
    • Hide content

Thats fab spring, well done. What did they do in your class today? In ours people just talked about positive things that had made the week good.

• M
    Beginner January 2008
    Mad ·
    • Hide content

Batfink thats great, well done you.

it was mentioned in my group too that you don;t need to eat any of your syns if you don;t want to, they are just there incase you do.

• gemgems
    Beginner
    gemgems ·
    • Hide content

Well done ladies with your losses this week.

I dont know if it will help anyone but I have a food diary which is on 1 side of an A4 piece of paper so it fits the whole week on it. I can email it or post it to people if they want it? I personally use this so I can plan my week out at the start of each new week and also it saves time with the PC incase my 2 girls are playing up lol.

Food today:- 2 weetabix (b) milk (a) banana, 100g onken yog (3 syns), 4 ham slices, cheese (a), potatoes with skin on (b), chicken breast, broccoli, green beans, carrots, muller light yog, 1 cocktail sausage (1 syn), casserole mix (3 syns). 4 pints of water, 1 cup green tea and 1 cup spearmint & camomile tea.

I have to say the whole eat as much of the "good" food as you want I take to heart and make sure I am never starving as thats when I fall down and grab the naughty things.

• Spring
    Beginner February 2008
    Spring ·
    • Hide content

Well done Batfink that's great. Did you feel like you had lost wait before you went?

Mad we didn't talk about anything really. The meets are rubbish.

Gemgems sounds like a good day you had. Are you feeling full on this?

• Spring
    Beginner February 2008
    Spring ·
    • Hide content

Forgot to say, i did buy Hi fi bars last night and the mint ones are lovely (HE B). Wanted the choc orange but they didn't have them ?

• gemgems
    Beginner
    gemgems ·
    • Hide content

Spring I love the hi-fi bars but find them very addictive lol (especially the choc orange one).

I was full yesterday but I could have eaten more lol. I had to go shopping half way through the day so didnt actually have everything I wanted/needed. The food diaries you have are always full in the "FREE" column, there is rarely any space for anything else lol.

Today I have had/will have (Green):- Muller light & banana, 2 jacket pots with cheese (a), carrots, cucumber, lettuce, red onion, 100g onken (3 syns), cherries, grapes, mince beef (b & b), lots of spaghetti, cheese (a), carrots and spag bol sauce (6 syns), strawberries and maybe another muller light.

How has everyone else done today?

• M
    Meee ·
    • Hide content

Bugger bugger bugger, I've just been to my sisters for tea. I've not told anyone I'm doing slimming world so it;s my own fault really.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics