Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner June 2018

I've ordered my veil, second thoughts

Lilacbouquet, 26 of September of 2017 at 13:38 Posted on Planning 0 12

I tried on my dress again and ordered a veil a few weeks ago, but i went for a fingertip length when I originally wanted a cathedral length. I was happy at the time because a cathedral didn't feel like I wanted it to and the fingertip did seem to and showed off the detailing of my dress nicely. But now I keep looking at the photos and thinking I should have stuck to my guns and gone for the 2 part cathedral anyway even though the shorter one is still nice.

I have a quite delicately detailed ballgown dress and every ballgown I see has a cathedral veil which I love the look of. As my dress is detailed it seemed better to go for a shorter one and keep the 2 layers on all night and still see the dress. At the time I was happy with my choice but now I'm not sure if it is what I'm after??? I had the option to remove part of the veil (the long bit) and keep the short bit on.

12 replies

Latest activity by MrsR2B18, 27 of September of 2017 at 12:57
  • MrsR2B18
    Beginner April 2018
    MrsR2B18 ·
    • Hide content

Its so easy to second guess yourself when it comes to anything to do with weddings! I know I have with my dress but you made the decision for a reason and you saw at the time with your dress which one you preferred and as you say you can see the detailing on the dress with the shorter one, My dress has lots of detailing on the back and I went for the fingertip as well so that I could show the back of the dress off which a cathedral length one would of covered, can you go back and try them on again to put your mind at rest?

• L
    Beginner June 2018
    Lilacbouquet ·
    • Hide content

You do have a point there, I did the same with my dress which I absolutely love now it's in my size and colour! What style of dress was yours? I'm pleased you went for something similar with the detailing in mind.

The shop said they will call me when they arrive so maybe it is worth going to try them on again when they are actually mine.

• MrsR2B18
    Beginner April 2018
    MrsR2B18 ·
    • Hide content

It's a ballgown aswell, the fingertip veil just shows the detailing of the dress perfectly and I want to keep my veil on for the evening aswell so the detailing on the dress will still be shown. If I had a cathedral veil it just would of taken away the detailing that I love so much!

It's so easy to second guess yourself because it's such a big decision with each detail and because you only have photos to look at it's easy to convenience yourself that you made the wrong decision, i'd go and try them when they arrive and it will put your mind at rest, I did this with my dress! I got so stressed about it so my mum told me to go and try the sample dress on again and when I did I remembered why I had chosen it and fell in love with it all over again and it put my mind at ease!

• L
    Beginner June 2018
    Lilacbouquet ·
    • Hide content

Thank you, that makes me feel better already! I think I'd better stop looking at the pictures, I'm even tempted to take them off my phone and hide them elsewhere! It is nice to know someone else has the same style dress and went for the same length veil. I did start thinking I chose one too simple, as I only went for minimal detailing on the edge when initially I was going for scalloped edges with a dangley pearl, but it felt nicer without the extra weight.

I don't think it helps when there are so many nice posed/photo-shopped pictures on the internet either. They make them picture perfect as they want you to buy them.

• MrsR2B18
    Beginner April 2018
    MrsR2B18 ·
    • Hide content

Glad that i've helped! I know how hard it can be when you doubt yourself!

I think its a good idea not to have the pictures on your phone as theres always the temptation to keep looking and you'll always pick fault and doubt what you have chosen! I never think a picture on your phone gives you a true comparison to how it looks in real life!

I think if you have lots of detailing on the dress than a simple veil is perfect as otherwise it can be too much in my opinion, mines fairly simple with some lace and complements my dress perfectly so I think you have made the right choice!

It definitely doesn't help with all the Photo shopped photos that are picture perfect, most of the dresses look different in real life, most of the time they look better on real brides than on the models!

I think once you can try it all on again together you'll remember why you chose the one that you did!

• L
    Beginner June 2018
    Lilacbouquet ·
    • Hide content

I called them this morning and have got an appointment Friday afternoon. She did say she gets phone calls like me quite often ?

She doesn't know if mine has arrived yet, but says I will try everything on together again and go from there. I sitll think I prefer the other detailing, it has scalloped edges and an occasional pearl on the edges which matches my dress, which is still simple but a bit more interesting than the one I have ordered....

I'll let you know how I get on. I hope either I like the one I have ordered, or I can easily swap it for the other one without paying twice! I think I have decided I am happy with the length, especially after what you have said, and the length of the pearl one does sit nice on the back of my dress whereas the other one just sort of is there. Fingers crossed!

• MrsR2B18
    Beginner April 2018
    MrsR2B18 ·
    • Hide content

I'm sure that most brides have at some point had doubts so they'll be used to it!

Glad that your happy with the length now and at least on Friday you can decide if you prefer the one you've ordered or the one with more detail! Hopefully If you prefer the other one they will be able to help without you having to pay for two!

If we had a private message function on this forum like the one that's coming on the new version I would send you a pic of my dress with the veil, I don't want to put a pic up on here as i'm worried someone I know will see my dress!

Let me know how you get on!

• L
    Beginner June 2018
    Lilacbouquet ·
    • Hide content

I'd love to see your dress and I'd love your opinion of mine! I know what you mean about other people seeing which is why I didn't put a pic up when I started the post. The new forum does have the option of private messaging but it hasn't been changed over yet. How about a private message on facebook?

• MrsR2B18
    Beginner April 2018
    MrsR2B18 ·
    • Hide content

Yes i'm happy to private message you on facebook, maybe if we put a link to our FB on here and then delete it then we can send each other a message?

• L
    Beginner June 2018
    Lilacbouquet ·
    • Hide content

That's great thanks! Let me know if this works, then I'll delete it

• MrsR2B18
    Beginner April 2018
    MrsR2B18 ·
    • Hide content

Works fine! I'll add you as a friend as it won't let you message me unless we're friends, i'll that now and then send you over pictures of my dress and veil!

• L
    Beginner June 2018
    Lilacbouquet ·
    • Hide content

That is great thank you!

• MrsR2B18
    Beginner April 2018
    MrsR2B18 ·
    • Hide content

All sent!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles