Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MissKB
Beginner June 2014

I've upset a bridesmaid, dont know what to do!

MissKB, 21 of February of 2014 at 09:46

Posted on Planning 39

Hey guys, im in a bit of a situation now and could really do with some advice from fellow brides. My OH has his own opinion and it doesnt really help!! Bit of background. I'm getting married in June and have 3 bridesmaids, 2 of my very best friends and my OH's sister. I bought their dresses in July...

Hey guys, im in a bit of a situation now and could really do with some advice from fellow brides. My OH has his own opinion and it doesnt really help!!

Bit of background. I'm getting married in June and have 3 bridesmaids, 2 of my very best friends and my OH's sister. I bought their dresses in July last year from Monsoon, as they last years season stock and 50% off in the sale! They were the perfect dresses, too good to miss. Got them, all 3 tried on. Best friend 1 tried hers on and knew straight away it would need to be taken in, shes tiny and the size 8 was too big on her. She offered straight away to sort that and pay for it herself. FSIL tried hers and it was fine, and she said she would sort appropriate underwear out herself. Best friend 2 tried hers on, and struggled slightly to do it up with the strapless bra she had on, but it did up when she took the bra off. So we decided the size was fine but would need to find appropriate underwear. All good, everyone sorted.

Fast forward to last week, and I give the dresses to the BM's for them to arrange alterations/underwear etc. I get a text from friend 2 when she gets home, saying she cant do hers up at all with a bra on, the boob area is too baggy if she takes her bra off, and tells me she cant wear it as it is. So what can I do? She asks if I can find it in a size bigger, which I know I wont because the dresses were really popular, and in last years end of season sale. So I suggest she goes with friend 1 to the alteration place to see if they can do anything, and maybe they'll offer a discount. I hadnt planned on paying for any alterations, because friend 1 had offered to pay for hers herself, and the other 2 didnt need any. But then I get a message from friend 2 saying she wanted to check before she got anything done incase it was too expensive. So I explain that I wasnt planning on paying for the alterations, because at the time, I didnt think any were needed (apart from friend 1)

So I get a message this morning (all done through text which probably wasnt the best) saying she cant afford to keep paying for stuff for the wedding. I should mention that we had all previously talked about the fact that they would buy their own shoes, which everyone seemed ok with. I know they've been planning my hen do, but I dont know anything about it so dont know how expensive it is

Now I feel guilty that shes spending money that she might not have on my wedding. I dont feel like I can pay for hers but not the others, but we cant afford to pay for all 3's shoes and alterations and underwear and stuff.

We're all going shopping for their shoes tomorrow. Am I being harsh? Do I offer to pay for her shoes? Or half of all of their shoes? Or do I stick to my guns and potentially upset her even more?

Help ?

39 replies

• Tiny-Tiggs
    Beginner April 2012
    Tiny-Tiggs ·
    • Hide content

Haha in that case my bad. Apologies for confusing you!

• slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content

I think you should pay for the alterations . You knew when she tried it on there was an issue. You could find asking her to find alternate underwear is even more expensive than alterations. In my opinion you made a huge saving on the dress so cut your loss and pay for alterations . Especially if they pay for shoes . You also mention that if she was a guest shed have to buy her whole outfit. Not technically true . Possibly a new dress yes but maybe not new shoes etc- I know if pennies are tight I would wear something I had worn before .

x

• MissKB
    Beginner June 2014
    MissKB ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the advice!! Think there has been some confusion with the posts though. I didn't say the comment about if she was a guest she would need to buy a whole new outfit, and I'm not buying 7 kilts!!

Today went really well, we found the shoes for the bridesmaids and I paid for half of hers. She showed me the dress issue and I'm going to help out with the alterations too. She's such a close friend that I want to help her out as much as possible, as she wouldn't be spending so much if she wasn't my bridesmaid

Thanks again!! Xx

• slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content

Haha sorry ! My bad x

• LoveHimMegaMuch
    Beginner August 2014
    LoveHimMegaMuch ·
    • Hide content

Hehe tres confusion! Not to worry!

OP...glad today went well Smiley smile xx