Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner July 2016

Ivory vs cream?

ExpensiveOrangeStationery250, 24 of February of 2015 at 21:34 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi, I'm not sure if I have a different understand of colours so wondered what you lot thought!

I originally received my stationary sample in white and coral which I confirmed I was happy with. But then I found my dress which was ivory so I asked if it could be changed to ivory card- I assumed this would be little or no difference (I appreciate there's not a lot in it!) well the stationary order came through today and is firmly on cream card. Quite a yellowy shade of cream! It's made the coral not quite coral either, it's now just pale pink.

I haven't said anything to our stationary supplier yet and still not sure I'll bother anyway, I know it's hardly a massive issue and probably no one else will notice but me! But does 'cream' mean 'ivory' ? I just want to be sure before I order any more decorations etc, do I get cream or white? Will anyone think it's odd if I have white decorations and an ivory dress?! It's thrown me off a bit!

9 replies

Latest activity by Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon, 25 of February of 2015 at 11:20
  • kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

With colours I would say cream was darker than ivory. Ivory is an off white, and cream is more yellow.

I may be the wrong person to answer (I don't care if nothing matches on the day as long as it doesn't obviously clash lol, if I like it I'll pick it), but I doubt anyone will notice white decorations and an ivory dress, they;ll just think how beautiful you look and how pretty everything else looks ?

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

My ivory dress definitely looked yellow against anything white, if that helps!

• E
    Beginner July 2016
    ExpensiveOrangeStationery250 ·
    • Hide content

So go more cream with decorations then do you think? Honestly a bit confused!!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I know it seems like a big deal, but honestly, nobody will notice. None of your guests are gonna pick up your table plan and come and hold it against your dress and tut. Or if they are likely to do so, well, they're weirdos and you shouldn't invite them Smiley smile

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

So do you like the invitations the way they look now?

If yes, what's the problem? Your invites don't match the dress - Nobody is going to notice!!!

Have you ever been to a wedding and checked if they match? Clearly I'm too busy stuffing myself and getting plastered to notice these things.

Even if the name cards are cream and everything else is off white (or ivory if you want to call it that) NOBODY is going to notice.

You wont have time to notice this on the day as you'll be busy enjoying yourself.

• A
    Beginner April 2015
    AprilBride15 ·
    • Hide content

So I bought table names and name plaques etc from a shop (in ivory) then ordered the menu for the table (ivory) from the same company that printed the initiations and although I hadn't really thought (or noticed before) the menu looks yellow compare to the name cards. But you know what, I like both, so I'm keeping them. I've decided there is going to be so much going on with the tables no-one is going to notice the menu is more yellow.

I must admit the menus are a much better quality paper/card - so maybe that's why?

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

Unless someone holds a bit of your dress up against the invitations then no one will even notice. If someone does notice are they really going to care? Part of my colour scheme is blue but not all the different shades I have match, I don't really like things too 'matchy'.

• E
    Beginner July 2016
    • Hide content

Yeah, I know it's not a big deal in the scheme of things. They're just a bit different than I expected!

I definitely prefer coral and white as a colour scheme so am just going to go with that and hope it looks okay in photos with an ivory dress!!

• E
    Beginner July 2016
    • Hide content

I should have said coral and white, as opposed to coral and cream, if that makes sense!

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Your coral now looks pink because the coral ink is printed on cream/yellow paper and that base colour is showing through.

Over 100s of weddings I must of seen 100s of descriptions for colours and as for ivory, cream off white, antique white, magnolia.pale chamois,oyster.champagne, and they are all interchangeable in that you could get away with calling each, one of the other names.

So it dosent matter what colour people call an item, you just have to judge it for yourself, and you find it very difficult to get a full match of exact colours in everything.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics