Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2015

Jam jars with fairy lights in

SunnyGoldCars165, 4 of January of 2015 at 18:34 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone may have also had/ done this.

we have a rustic theme for our wedding, but the tables are long tables rather than the traditional round tables. We are going to have flowers in the middle of each table but wanted to put something else on the table as well so it doesn't look bare. I was thinking of getting some jars (like large jam jars), putting battery powered fairy lightd inside and hessium over the top.

has anyone else done anything like this and if so what length lights did you get and size of jars? I also have no Ida where to start looking for the stuff?

thanks

10 replies

Latest activity by MrsP2B-2015, 6 of January of 2015 at 13:13
  • Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

£1 shops do the battery powered lights. I think they are strings of 50, which would be plenty. We got some at Christmas and they were really good. You can also pick up some lovely jars in there too. Hessian you can find really cheaply on ebay ?

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
  • S
    Beginner August 2015
    SunnyGoldCars165 ·
    • Hide content

That's great. Thank you both. I thought now may be a good time to look just after Christmas ( although maybe just before would have been better) Smiley smile

loving the ones on Pinterest.... Hope I can get mine to look that good xx

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

I think IKEA do those too. Sounds like a lovely idea

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Almost~Mrs~W ·
    • Hide content

I found it was going to be quite expensive to buy all the jars I wanted (they were about £2 each but when you want 100 of them.....) so I brought loads of cheap jam from Asda smart price jam lemon curd marmalade for about 20p each so was getting 9/10 jars for £2.
    I just force fed them out to close family and friends and asked for jars to be returned.

• Bubbahumpska
    Beginner August 2015
    Bubbahumpska ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is amazing you are a hero haha

xx

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, start eating all the table condiments and spag bol haha

• soraneko
    Beginner June 2016
    soraneko ·
    • Hide content

Cheap jam jars are a good shape and I love the shape of Lloyd Grossman's jars Smiley winking

Pinterest also has the idea to use the inside 'goop' from glow sticks, but might not be as good for actual 'lighting'. I think if you look there are ideas that help you to hide the battery packs in the lids, too, which is very clever Smiley smile

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well there's something that you don't hear every day !

With the batteries, could you hide them in a layer of sand or coloured plastic crystals

• heli-c
    Beginner October 2015
    heli-c ·
    • Hide content

On the jars front it depends how you want to go but in my opinion I think it would be great to have a variety of jars slightly different shapes and sizes!

Though it would depend what look you're going for! In which case just save all the jars you use and ask close family/friends even neighbours to do the same!

And putting fairy lights in them is such a great idea!!

Good luck! x

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsP2B-2015 ·
    • Hide content

I'm doing something similar with 100 jam jars (again with the force feeding!), but filling some of mine up 1/3 with water and putting in floating candles, which burn for 3-4 hours. I'm asking a couple of bridesmaids to be on 'candlewatch' and notify the venue staff about when they need to be replaced.

I'm hoping to move some of them outside after the wedding breakfast as we've got a large patio area with tables / chairs; the venue offers lantern hire but this should save me a bit of cash! Plus guests can take them home afterwards as wedding favours. I've got large ones (like mayo jars) in the middle for the bridesmaids' flowers; they'll act as centrepieces and means they won't get trashed through the evening too! Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics