Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

SillyWrong
Beginner October 2014

Jewellers – ring allergy

SillyWrong, 24 of February of 2015 at 16:42 Posted on Planning 0 10

My wife had a severe reaction to her first engagement ring, then it cleared up and she gradually started wearing it again, and then after we got married it flared up and she hasn’t been able to wear that or the wedding ring since. Her finger goes angrily raw and scaley and it takes about 6 weeks each time to heal, we’ve tried all sorts of creams but nothing speeds up the healing. When she tries to wear it again, she always takes them off for hand washing etc. and at night. She’s so careful.

Everything I have read has said it’s a Nickle allergy, even to the point where the allergy can flare up randomly, and seem to ‘disappear’ randomly. Even the pictures of the rashes I’ve seen online look the same. We planned to get her rings dipped in Rhodium – apparently that helps so there is no contact with the white gold.
She rang a jeweller and he has said that it’s now illegal (!!?) for white gold to contain nickel and it therefore won’t be a nickel allergy??
Anyone know anything? Google’s not being too helpful.
TIA x

My wife had a severe reaction to her first engagement ring, then it cleared up and she gradually started wearing it again, and then after we got married it flared up and she hasn’t been able to wear that or the wedding ring since. Her finger goes angrily raw and scaley and it takes about 6 weeks each time to heal, we’ve tried all sorts of creams but nothing speeds up the healing. When she tries to wear it again, she always takes them off for hand washing etc. and at night. She’s so careful.

Everything I have read has said it’s a Nickle allergy, even to the point where the allergy can flare up randomly, and seem to ‘disappear’ randomly. Even the pictures of the rashes I’ve seen online look the same. We planned to get her rings dipped in Rhodium – apparently that helps so there is no contact with the white gold.

She rang a jeweller and he has said that it’s now illegal (!!?) for white gold to contain nickel and it therefore won’t be a nickel allergy?? He's suggested it will be where it's damp. I don't believe that at all. Skin irritation from dampness doesn't flare up like hers did and then not go away for 6+ weeks!

Anyone know anything? Google’s not being too helpful.

TIA x

10 replies

Latest activity by elemden, 24 of February of 2015 at 21:02
  • MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

The Jeweller is right

Nickel in Jewellery
    In the UK, jewellers have to be aware of their obligations under the Dangerous Substances and Preparations (Nickel) (Safety) Regulations 2005 which is designed to prevent people becoming sensitised to nickel, which can lead to allergic contact dermatitis.

Because trace elements of nickel can be found in many precious jewellery alloys and particularly in costume jewellery, jewellers have to be confident that when they are designed to be worn in direct and prolonged contact with the skin, eg a ring, necklace, bracelet, watchback or parts of earrings (but not a brooch) any nickel which is released from an item of jewellery is within permitted levels. For piercing post assemblies, this release level is a maximum of .2 micrograms per square cm per week. For other products (ie not piercings) it is a maximum of .5 micrograms per square cm per week. The tests are carried out under controlled conditions in a commercial testing laboratory or in certain assay offices.

Sometimes alloys which could release nickel are plated with lacquer, gold or silver to prevent the nickel being released in contact with skin. In such cases the plating must be tested with abrasives to simulate two years of wear before they are tested for nickel release.

BJA does not recommend use of terms such as “nickel free” , “hypoallergenic” or “nickel safe” because items which release small amounts of nickel can comply with the regulations but could be in contravention of the Trades Descriptions Act. Retailers who use such terms may have a poor understanding of the regulations and their obligations.

Suppliers have a duty of care to their customers and need to be able to show that they have exercised due diligence, either by carrying out their own tests under a control system or by understanding when they can rely on the tests carried out by their suppliers.

Maybe shes really that sensitive and it is a nickel allergy, but actually reactions like that can last that long and be that bad (I see it in my job) one of our girls gets it and wearing her rings really makes it worse, even though its nothing to do with the jewellery. Bless her, must be awful not to be able to wear your rings!

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

I would also say it may be a reaction to Nickel...

Quick googling brought me to this page: http://www.assayoffice.co.uk/latest-news-and-press/nickel-testing-%E2%80%93-how-does-the-new-legislation-affect-me

It seems there is some legislation but it doesn't sound like Nickel is illegal?

I also found this article, in a comment someone suggests applying clear nail polish to the inside of the ring, maybe worth a try?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748703954904574595943916863808

• W
    Beginner October 2006
    Winterflower ·
    • Hide content

It might be worth your wife seeing a dermatologist and or having a skin test to see if it a nickel allergy. As others have said it isn't illegal to have nickel within jewellery but no more than a certain amount should be released. The other thought is although it is very rare some people are actually allergic to gold itself.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

The rash is likely to look the same whether it's nickel, soap or some other metal allergy.

It might be worth going to a jewellers shop in the Indian/Pakistani area of your city if you have one. Indian jewellers usually sell 22ct gold which is the purest you can buy here. That will have less parts of the other metal fillers that may be causing this allergy.

• Ddpunk
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Hide content

OH has this problem too, he was told it was trapped water so he started taking it on/off for absolutely everything involving water but it didn't stop it randomly flaring up.

He ended up painting clear nail polish on the inside of his wedding band. I couldn't watch!! Although so far, so good and thankfully he didn't get it bloody everywhere.

• F
    Beginner January 1999
    friskyfox88 ·
    • Hide content

My cousin is allergic to everything except platinum and therefore had to have her engagement and wedding ring made out of this

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

I had the same thing but only once I started wearing a wedding ring too. My ER is 9ct and wedding ring 18ct. I put it down to trapped water etc.

Mine stopped when I stopped wearing them in bed. I take them off each night and have had no issue since. I wear an eternity ring too now and didn't have any issue when I started wearing that too.

Is she allergic to nickel in any other jewellery? Obviously a lot of costume jewellery contains nickel so would've thought she'd suffer on other parts of her body too.

• S
    Beginner March 2015
    Sums2b ·
    • Hide content

Hi there,

i am the same with jewellery, always have been. I can't wear earrings, bracelets etc and I would only keep a necklace on for a couple of hours as then my skin starts to burn/sting. I can wear my watch for a bit but too much wear and I get an angry red mark the shape of it! Does your wife react to other jewellery?

I have been married before and ended up not wearing my rings. I have gone for a palladium wedding ring this time but I don't know if it will be ok. I have sort of resigned myself to the idea I will wear them on formal occasions only. That said, my engagement ring has been ok so far, but I don't wear it all the time and haven't had it long.

Hope you find a solution!

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

I have this but not from the metal itself - I have contact dermatitis which is made worse by the ring as stuff gets underneath it and I have an indent in my engagement ring. It can be so bad that my finger blisters and can come from hand wash, soaps, moisturisers, washing up etc.

It ay be that she is getting traces of these underneath the ring - even if being careful.

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

Buy her a non metal ring (saferingz do black ones!) and get her to wear it for a while to see if the reaction is the same? Then you'll know it's definitely her ring.

• E
    Beginner April 2015
    elemden ·
    • Hide content

I couldn't wear my first engagement ring or wedding ring (yellow gold bought 15ish years ago).

With this in mind I chose Palladium this time and so far my engagement ring hasn't caused a moment's trouble.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics