Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

AKWedding
Beginner August 2015

Job hunting and wedding planning at the same time - is it possible?

AKWedding, 7 of May of 2015 at 13:50 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 9

I have been unhappy in my job for a while, and did spend most of last year looking for a new job without any luck. When 2015 started, I decided to put job-hunting on the backburner because I wanted to devote my time and energy to wedding planning (I'm getting married in August). Wedding planning is a big project and I am doing most of it myself with some input from OH (as he says I am the project manager!).

There are some days at work when I think to myself 'I need to move on asap', today is one of them. But then I think that I still have a lot to do with the wedding, and job-hunting and preparing for interview is so time-consuming.

Now that I am in the last 100 days or less, should I stick to the original plan and just concentrate on wedding? Would it be madness to start job-hunting now? Should I just suck it up and wait until after the wedding?

Advice please!

9 replies

Latest activity by Moniquemo4, 2 of May of 2023 at 07:32
  • L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

I think you should work on making yourself happy in the long term as it might really hit you when the wedding has gone how unhappy you actually are?

One thing I do wonder is how much time are you planning in having off for the wedding? Might this effect you in a new job?

• N
    Beginner June 2015
    nammy502 ·
    • Hide content

Im in exactly the same boat, I started looking for jobs at the beginning of the year, even went to interviews and was offered the job, but due to having 4 weeks off for the wedding and honeymoon it would of meant unpaid leave and no allowance for the rest of the year.

So now im keeping 'toes in the water' and keeping in touch with angencies and checking the online job search engines ready to hit the ground running as soon as im back from honeymoon and get hopefully get a new job straight away.

I think hold off for now and make it your next task/project for after your wedding.

• kiwi_girl
    Beginner May 2015
    kiwi_girl ·
    • Hide content

I think that in answer to your question on timing, that yes it is entirely possible. I applied for a job at around 100 days out from our wedding and while I didn't get an interview I just thought it important to grab the opportunity while I could. On top of that, we are just about to buy a house, which has added an extra level of time-consumption and stress.

However, it really depends on how you feel everything is going with the wedding planning and if you feel comfortable spending a bit of time looking. Only you can really decide that, unfortunately. And, as others have pointed out, it could be difficult to arrange the time off for your wedding if you do get a new role. That would partly depend on where the job was though - the job I applied for was in a different department in my University, so my leave should have moved with me if I had gotten an offer.

Overall, I think I agree with the others - stick it out until after the wedding and leave it as something to focus on when you get back!

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

I've been in the same boat for a while. I've been looking elsewhere, but with OH's shifts being so erratic, my income is guaranteed so I can't bring myself to make any changes just yet. I did apply for an internal vacancy but was unsuccessful. They said they may have something for me by the end of the year though.

I'd say there's no harm in looking, but any leave required for the wedding may be an issue. Some jobs have late start dates after all. Wouldn't it be nice to start married life in a job that makes you happy?

• pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

Yeah you can do both - I was planning and applying for jobs. It was hard work!!! Be specific in the jobs you want, that way it limits what you are applying for. Hope you get something soon - good luck! Smiley smile)))

• AKWedding
    Beginner August 2015
    AKWedding ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies, the comments have helped. You are right about leave required for tge wedding and honeymoon. I will get my CV prepared ready to resume job hunting after tge wedding. So glad its the weekend ?

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

Fingers crossed for you. It is difficult working, applying for jobs and planning a wedding, but who knows, that perfect job may fall on your lap without much effort.

My husband just got offered a new job miles away from where we live so I was faced with finding a new job for September and relocating. After looking for 1 1/2 weeks and attending one interview, I have been offered a job with better pay and benefits. Really scared and can't believe it's happened so quickly but you just have to be the right person who applies at the right time. It may only take one application, it may take twenty, who knows?

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

I would keep an eye out for any opportunities that were ideal - not just to leave your employer.

I had an eye out, applied and interviewed for two jobs as well as bought a flat and repainted our house within 6 months of our wedding.

• M
    Beginner March 2023 Monmouthshire
    Moniquemo4 ·
    • Hide content

Job hunting and wedding planning at the same time can be a challenging and stressful experience. Both tasks require a significant amount of time, effort, and attention to detail, which can be difficult to balance. Here you can get security guard jobs and learn more new things about the job. Job hunting involves researching and applying for job opportunities, attending interviews, and negotiating salaries, while wedding planning requires organizing and coordinating various vendors, selecting a venue, and managing a budget. Juggling both tasks can be overwhelming, but with proper time management and prioritization, it is possible to succeed in both endeavors. It is important to communicate openly with your partner and potential employers about your schedule and commitments, to ensure that everyone is on the same page. By being organized and focused, it is possible to find the perfect job and plan a beautiful wedding at the same time.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics