Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner May 2017

Job titles when giving notice

PengAly, 1 of September of 2016 at 11:08 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi,

So this may seem really silly but back in July we gave notice for our marriage which isn't until May 2017. The part where we give our occupation I sort of embellished a little to make it sound better (Basically I support the business's relationships and clients in a admin kind of way) but I panicked and didn't want to put my bespoke job title as I didn't think she would know that so just gave the generic "Relationship Manager" title, technically I'm not manager level but like I said I thought this would make more sense but now I feel like I lied. Should I call them to correct it, wait until the wedding day and tell them my actual job title or just leave it? Its not like I said Doctor when I'm an receptionist or something ridiculous like that but for some reason I'm worried that it seems like I lied. Do people usually just simplify their occupations like this?

12 replies

Latest activity by Duroi, 23 of February of 2022 at 15:35
  • L
    Beginner June 2018
    Lilacbouquet ·
    • Hide content

It shouldn't matter what you tell people it should only be for their reference. Besides what if you get another job in two months?

If you aren't happy then change it next time you see them, and if you do don't leave it until the wedding day there will be enough going on. Change it when you have a trial run or something like that.

My current job role until Friday is Sales and Purchase Ledger Clerk, needless to say I have put down Bookkeeper on my paperwork so far.

• F
    Beginner June 2017
    FutureMrsTz ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it actually matters what you put, I guess it's just for their records? I think a lot of people have job titles these days though that encompass a wide range of responsibilities so I'm sure a generic one will be ok. I guess they probably won't even be checking! If in doubt you could always ask to change it.

My dad had a ridiculous job title before he retired which is about 7 words long and I had to try and squeeze it all onto the form the church gave us. Oh then I had to write (retired) after it too ?

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

I am a Slimming World consultant, and as they can't put a business name down I had no idea what to call myself! Can't remember what I said when I gave notice, but since then I got a second job as a catering assistant, so told them that on the day. No-one was really bothered it was different. Don't worry about it for now, see what happens before next year and decide then what to call yourself ?

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

I don't think that it matters. I told the registrar my occupation and she said that she would put it down as "civil servant" as the notice is public and she didn't want our details and occupation on display. She said that on the day of our wedding, we can put our proper occupation down x

• P
    Beginner May 2017
    PengAly ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone, feel better about it now! I was obviously over-reacting which I seem to be doing with wedding stuff recently haha

Beginner November 2016
    1987RAF ·
    • Hide content

They went really vague on my application as my job is very hard to desribe so I was talking to them about the job and they said, how about XYZ. That will do.

Does anyone know if the job details and fathers details are on the actual certificates?

• P
    Beginner May 2017
    PengAly ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I looked into this and yes they both are on the actual certificates

• L
    Beginner April 2017
    LuxuriousOrangeStationery624 ·
    • Hide content

I can't remember what I put either and not sure why they want to know... just a form filler! I guess if they were suspicious about your intentions to marry, then they would want to know roughly what you do for a living.

Strangely I renewed my car insurance yesterday and by selecting a very slightly different job title, it lowered my premium by a couple of quid!

• P
    Beginner October 2016
    Pink Sparkle ·
    • Hide content

I tried to be vague with mine as for various reasons relating to my work it best for it not to be on a public document but the lady filling in the form said she needed it to be more specific. She told me the occupation wasn't made public. I see some of you have mentioned that the occupations are public records...is that right...im now worried?!

• P
    Beginner May 2017
    PengAly ·
    • Hide content

Yes it is made public, well ours was anyway. They display it in the registry office for 28 days after you give notice and then it goes on your marriage certificate

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

It is public, it goes on public display for 28 days so that if anyone wants to object, then they can! I doubt that anyone actually looks at them though! X

• Jacob
    Beginner January 2022 Den Haag
    Jacob ·
    • Hide content

I don't think you should care about it a lot. You have a job, unlike me, that's the most important. And people there don't really care what you said.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics