Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner August 2012

Joint Stag and Hen

BatsGirl, 28 March, 2012 at 11:20 Posted on Planning 0 10

So we're thinking we want a joint do. We've bene together 14 years and it seems a bit daft for us to have an enforced boys and girls night when all of our friends are joint (and I'd miss not having some of the boys there!) We were thinking of a night away somewhere then the guys go off and do something during the day, we go off and do something girlie then we meet up for a BBQ and drinks in the evening.

We're happy with this as are some of our friends but the rest are horrified and reckon it's "not a hen do" if we are all together. I feel a little like we should be traditional about it as that's what is expected but I really just don't like the idea (even happy with no do to be honest).

What are your thoughts? I knwo the majority of you will say "do what makes you happy" but honest opinions if you were the friends (rather than having the hassle of organising weddings yourselves!) - would you be disappointed that it wasn't 'traditional'?

10 replies

Latest activity by ~Peanut~, 28 March, 2012 at 20:04
  • *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I think that sounds like a great idea...as with all thing its your day do what you like. ?

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

We're doing a joint Hag trip, but with a night out separately during it. I agree that it's more of an engagement last hurrah party than a hen and stag if you're all together, but that shouldn't matter. I'm having some of my male friends come out with me for the night out, so it's not the traditional girls-only scene. I honestly don't think you should care about what your friends think.

• mattsgirl
    Beginner August 2012
    mattsgirl ·
    • Hide content

Thats what we're doing, "a sten party" too! We think it will just be daft us being seperate as most of our friends are joint friends and our best friends are male. I would miss the guys if I had a hen do! However they did suggest they will go as drag! Plus OH is not one for going out to clubs and drinking, infact he said he didnt want a stag do!!! So i'm not sure what we will be doing yet! I thinks joint ones are a good idea especially if you have a mix of male/female friends

• S
    Beginner August 2012
    Spookle ·
    • Hide content

I went to a joint hen and stag, at first i thought it seemed a bit strange but the night was a blast!! i would love to have mine joint but the only people i trust to baby sit will be at the stag or hen do

• Aurora Borealis
    Beginner June 2013
    Aurora Borealis ·
    • Hide content

I think it sounds like fun, and you are going out during the day to do separate activities so everyone should be happy with that really.

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content

Go for a joint one. If we do anything it will be a 'Hag do' (taken from the idea on another discussion) as a BBQ for everyone although like you I'm not that bothered if we have nothing.

OH wouldn't be doing a stag anyway so would just be a hen and I can't abide the thought of having a hen do - absolutely hate the whole willy/L plate/veil thing & I hate spa days. Not told any of my girls yet - they still think they are getting a proper hen do next year. They may well be upset but we're one big group and they all had their traditional hen do when they got married.

I'd rather spend the money on the wedding day itself and have a nicer meal or wine.

If any of my friends hadn't had a hen do I wouldn't have been bothered in the slightest.

Also, you don't 'have' to do anything on or before the day apart from the legal bits like having a registrar/minister...

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

We're thinking of having a joint do with all our old college and uni friends as we didn't have an engagement party but we're also having a stag and a hen night. I wouldn't worry about what people think and have whatever combo you want.

I hate the thought of the willy/L plate/veil thing as well but I really want a proper girls night out partying and dancing as we hardly ever do it anymore now most of us are married/engaged. Think we're going for a posh lunch somewhere with my mum and aunts then just all my friends out pubbing/clubbing for the night.

• Jen31601
    Beginner March 2013
    Jen31601 ·
    • Hide content

Personally if I got invited to a joint one I think I would be disappointed as a night out with everyone can happen any time, whereas your hen do will only happen once. I don't have many girlie nights out anymore now I'm with my H2B as we tend to go out with eachother and our friends so I cannot wait for a full blown girlie weekend. But you're only going to have that night once and you need to think about what you want and not your guests. If you want it joint, then do it joint Smiley smile

I used to work in a club and we were always having joint hen and stag dos and I couldn't help thinking there were trust issues there...but that's just my personal opinion of the ones that I saw ️?️

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think this is a good compromise.

• freckles87
    Beginner May 2013
    freckles87 ·
    • Hide content

We are having a joint hen and stag do for pretty much the same reasons as you, we have pretty much the same friends so didn't see the point in us making them choose between two separate nights out when a lot of them had already said they'd like the opportunity to come to both. It also works out that it's OHs 30th birthday 4 months before the wedding, so a big group of us are going away for a joint hen/stag/30th birthday celebration all in one. If it works out better for you, go for it!

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

We're thinking of having a joint do for opposite reasons...a lot of our friends have never met (old uni friends from other parts of the country etc) and as we're having a very small wedding we thought it would be nice for people to get to know each other before the wedding. Although I know one of my bridesmaids is really looking forward to planning my hen night so I'm not looking forward to breaking the news to her! But we're not really hen/stag people, you've just got to do what you want and what makes you happy, its your party after all.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics