Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Melty Cat
Beginner July 2016

Jumping The Broom/Handfasting

Melty Cat, 3 March, 2013 at 20:04 Posted on Planning 0 7

So, my H2B is athiest and I am a wiccan/pagan. As such, we won't be getting married in a church, but on a bandstand at our venue with a registrar. Our ceremony will be at around 5pm which is something that I am excited about. The thing is, my wedding co-ordinator keeps saying how they don't allow anything religious there. Is that a registrar rule, house rules? The thing is, I would like to have the ceremony as normal, but I'd also like to 'jump the broom', or have a handfasting. Would this be permitted? Would I need to hire someone else to perform that? Would I even need to do it off the property?

7 replies

Latest activity by *Mini*, 3 March, 2013 at 20:22
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Registrar rules. A civil ceremony cannot reference anything religious, whatever the venue. Whether your registrar will consider handfasting as religious or cultural is something only they can tell you.

• Mrs Monkey
    Beginner July 2013
    Mrs Monkey ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a 'registrar thing'.

I've only heard of handfasting/jumping the broom - do they have a 'religious meaning'? If not then your registrar should be able to do it. If they are then you can get someone else to do it for you. The registrar will want to complete the ceremony before you do anything religious though.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I dont think a handfasting is seen as religious so I think you would be ok- your local register office should be able to offer some guidelines and have the final say so so ask them.

What is jumping the broom? Guessing a Wiccan thing, am intrigued by what it means/symbolism?

• Melty Cat
    Beginner July 2016
    Melty Cat ·
    • Hide content

Handfasting is an old tradition, as is broom jumping. The broom jumping is a fertility sign really. And handfasting was originally where the couple were joined for an entire year! The one I was looking at doing was more suitable and less... Impossible. The guests pick ribbons out of a basket and come up one at a time to tie the ribbon round mine and my H2B's hands until it forms a knot. The knot is carefully removed intact and placed in a keepsake box, or (If there's abroom jumpin) on the end of the broom.

I suppose some may see it as religious, others may not.

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

I believed hand-fasting to be non-religious, else we wouldn't have been considering it....

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

I 'think' that might be OK. It's mentioning God that they don't allow.

• Melty Cat
    Beginner July 2016
    Melty Cat ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well, that will certainly not be happening, so I really hope that they allow it/both.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The only people that can decide are your registrars. Give them a call tomorrow.

Its worth remembering though that your registrars cant permit anything relogius (whatever religion that may be) during the ceremony. Once they are done and you are married you can do whatever the venue permits. There was a dear old hitcher on here who had a civil ceremony and then a Christian blessing, all in a hotel, straight after another so there are always ways around things.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics