Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner April 2017

Just can't find a dress I like, Aaaargh

HappyYellowDecor636, 1 of August of 2016 at 21:31 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi, After 17 years together my other half and I finally decided to get hitched, Yay!

We've decided to just have a very small wedding in the registry office followed by a meal at a nice local restaurant, Neither of us particularly love the limelight so this suits us fine, I don't want to wear a traditional wedding dress, I'm so pale I'm practically see through and white/cream etc does absolutely nothing at all for me except make me look washed out, Plus I don't like long dresses, I'd much prefer something shorter, Preferably knee length or shorter, Not keen on the tea length frocks that seem all the rage these days, That style just isn't me either, I'm stumped, I've been searching around online but have had trouble finding what I'm looking for, I want to look like a bride but I just don't want a traditional style dress, I'm beginning to think I'll never find a perfect dress for me, I know I'm probably going to have to go down the route of commissioning one myself but I'm not very creative and can't really think what I would like, Maybe something in a couple of colours, I was just wondering if i'm the only bride to be that feels this way about wedding dresses and if anybody has any examples of possibly shorter dresses I could look at or if anybody has any websites etc I might find interesting, I'm in the Shropshire area if anybody knows any good shops or dressmakers!

Thanks Smiley smile

5 replies

Latest activity by HappyYellowDecor636, 2 of August of 2016 at 19:54
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Try Google short wedding dress. See what styles come up that you like and think would suit you. Also short coloured wedding dresses. Another alternative would be to look at bridesmaids dresses and also some wedding dresses now come in blush or gold etc.

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

This might be a bit of a curveball but take a look at Chi Chi London.

They do some beautiful dresses for reasonable prices (I'm lusting over 98% of the website!)

They might do something not too 'bridal' but still special Smiley smile

xx

• H
    Beginner April 2017
    HappyYellowDecor636 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the suggestions! Trouble with googling dresses is I see so many that I like elements of but just don't like the whole thing, To top it all off now I have found a beautiful full length Black dress that I'm totally in love with but I know I'll never have! I think i'll have to just gather a few pics of dresses that I like certain parts of and show them to my cousin and see what she comes up with, I forgot she was a dressmaker, Shes agreed to make my dress for me so at least I will have something bespoke, I went to look at dresses today with my mum just to say I had looked at traditional dresses and I was amazed at how samey they all looked, It just confirmed for me that I want something different. Also agree about the Chi website, they do have some beautiful dresses!

• P
    Beginner October 2016
    Pink Sparkle ·
    • Hide content

Great idea to get together the pics of dresses where you like elements as that is what the dressmaker can use to get idea of what you like and don't like. Might be worth trying some dresses on to get idea of how those elements would look on you even if the rest of the dress is nothing like what you would want.

I'm looking at Chi Chi for an evening dress for wedding as I have come to accept that my dress is not practical and I probably will not last all night in it and just want the option to get changed if I need to. I have justified it by saying I would wear the chi chi dress again. Just need to pick one and not half their website! Does anyone know what their sizing is like?

• H
    Beginner April 2017
    HappyYellowDecor636 ·
    • Hide content

Oops, Sorry, Posted twice.

• H
    Beginner April 2017
    HappyYellowDecor636 ·
    • Hide content

Great idea about getting an evening dress, You want to be comfortable, I'm loving this one on Chi Chi, Think it's very pretty and still bridey http://www.chichiclothing.com/products/Chi-Chi-Rochelle-Dress.html

No idea about sizing though.

I'll let you all know once I think I've settled on a design, This full length black one stole my heart though, It's just so beautiful

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics