Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Consuela Banana Hammock

Just done my first Body Pump class

Consuela Banana Hammock, 16 of June of 2008 at 16:38 Posted on Beauty & Wellbeing 0 5

And I can hardly move!! I noticed a difference just driving home and then simple things like going up the stairs, hanging washing on the line - OW!!

I blame Baron and his ELMM plan! ?

Does anybody else do a similar class at the gym? How long did it take you to get to grips with the technique and feel like you knew what you were doing?

5 replies

Latest activity by Imelda, 18 of June of 2008 at 23:24
  • Imelda
    Beginner July 2008
    Imelda ·
    • Hide content

Body Pump is aboslutely my favourite class at the gym - you can tone up really quickly and the results show fast. (Well, on me they did.)

After a few sessions you get to know the different movements, when to change your weights up and down etc. I downloaded lots of music from the Pump classes onto my iPod, and so when I can't get to the gym I can workout at home as I know which song is squats, which is lunges, which is arms etc now.

• Consuela Banana Hammock
    Consuela Banana Hammock ·
    • Hide content

That's really good advice - thanks Imelda!

I have to say that I stuck with 2.5kg on the bar throughout the entire class and didn't change up or down. I did switch to handheld weights for the lunges (and felt really good as most of the class didn't use any weights at that point!) but the hardest bit was doing the biceps when lying down - I couldn't work out what was different from when we did chest lifts in the previous section!

I'll definitely do the class each Monday as a way to kickstart the week - tell me, do you do the class once a week or more often? I could do it twice but wonder whether that's a bit "much" for a beginner?

• French-Fancy
    Beginner September 2008
    French-Fancy ·
    • Hide content

Yeah I really like Pump - I try to do it at least once a week if not more! I generally do Body COmbat as well as those class times suit me.

Well done on using 2.5kg - the first time I went I could barely lift the bar itself! ?

• Imelda
    Beginner July 2008
    Imelda ·
    • Hide content

2.5kg is ok for a first time - I can still recall my first ever pump class, and I was in agony a few hours later. I had to crawl up the stairs as my legs hurt so much from the lunges and squats!

The difference between the bicep curl and the chest press is that you should be holding the bar differently. For one you hold it over the bar, the other under the bar. Speak to your class instructor before the class if you get a chance and get them to show you the difference.

I got all the tracks from here: http://bodypump_tracks.blogspot.com/ which has all the old classes. I then sorted the tracks according to category. (Bit tragic that I can actually hear a song and know that it's an abs track, or a shoulders song, and all the movements to the right parts!)

I go twice a week - early on a Saturday morning if I can drag myself to the gym, and on a Wednesday after work. I find that breaks it up, and means I don't get to achey or bored of doing the same routine all the time. It's definitely one of my favourite classes - I love BoxFit too, just because it means I can kick things, and after a long day at work, sometimes I really need that to let rip!

• Consuela Banana Hammock
    Consuela Banana Hammock ·
    • Hide content

Well that website shows how unobservant I am - I can't remember ANY of the tracks I heard during the class. The thing is, I'm not really "up" with what's current so I might be able to sing along to a song but I'd have no idea what it was called or who it sings it. I'll try and pay a bit more attention next week! ?

Going to the gym again today for the first time since the class so it'll be interesting to see if I find the weights easier or harder. I'm not as sore as I was so fingers crossed I get through my entire programme without any difficulty.

I'm looking forward to next week's class already although I'll probably stick with the 2.5kgs weights until I'm better with the technique!

• Imelda
    Beginner July 2008
    Imelda ·
    • Hide content

At my gym they tend to play the same set of tracks for about 10 weeks before they change the routine, so you do get used the songs and the movements that go with them after a while.

I've found doing pump has definitely made me stronger, and it means I'm better at doing other things as a result.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics