Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Arpee
Beginner August 2016

Just provisionally booked a venue... but it doesn't feel right...

Arpee, 22 of July of 2014 at 18:06 Posted on Planning 0 19

H2B and I have just been to visit a venue for the second time, and have provisionally booked a date. We got in the car to come home and he said I didn't seem very excited about it, and I agreed that I wasn't. We both now think the venue probably isn't right for us, but we're not sure!

I am definitely a bit sad that the date I wanted (6th August 2016) has gone - especially annoying as the venue only has three bookings for 2016, one in August, that one, the weekend I have been aiming for! It's not a special date per se, just that we'd like an August wedding, and the earlier in August the better, as we'll get a longer, lighter evening. I don't want it to clash with too much of the Olympics, the best bits of which are on 13th and 20th (the 6th has v little going on in terms of gold medals etc), maybe that's daft, I really enjoyed watching it in 2012, but is that mainly because it was in the UK? Will I or anyone I know be as bothered about it in Brazil? Anyway, we have put our names down for 13th August, I have no issues with the 13th, it's a Saturday not a Friday.

Some of the other venues that we have been to look at have had amazing gardens and greenery that would make fabulous pictures. This one has some fields and a couple of trees, not quite the same.

The other thing I think I am perhaps not sure about is the lady that runs it. She is only 23 and hasn't seemed particularly interested or enthusiastic either time we have been to have a look. It's a barn on a farm, and she's the farmer's daughter. She didn't respond to a couple of emails I sent her asking to come for a second viewing, in the end I rang her to arrange it, despite arranging the first appointment via email. She just doesn't seem very friendly and forthcoming.

I feel a bit gutted that something doesn't feel right. It's a blank canvas, has the very relaxed feel we are after, it has a disabled loo for my mum and it's all on the flat, the outdoor courtyard is ace and there's a bonfire pit in the middle which would be awesome. It should be perfect but it's not.

Had a little cry and talked it all over with H2B, who has suggested we go and look at a couple more venues (we've seen 9 already!) in the next few weeks, and perhaps have a second look at the very first one we saw.

Am I/are we being daft? Do the date, the gardens and the person in charge make any difference? Should we go for it, or keep looking?

19 replies

Latest activity by DaffodilWaves, 6 of August of 2014 at 09:45
  • SakuraYuna
    Dedicated November 2016
    SakuraYuna ·
    • Hide content

I think you should keep looking at a few more, might help you decide for sure yes or no to the one you've booked. It might make you realise it's the right choice?

Date and gardens only matter if they are important to you. It sounds like it has lovely things to make up for not having amazing gardens(possibly better things depending on your point of view) , but only you can decide if that's good enough.

I wouldn't just ignore it if you are unhappy because it might continue to bother you

• daffodilly
    Beginner August 2015
    daffodilly ·
    • Hide content

Personally i think you've already made your decision in your heart of hearts.

Keep the provisional for now and continue looking. ... you'll know when it's right. Xxx

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

It doesn't matter how many venues you look at in the end, the one that is right will jump out and you will walk away with a huge smile on your face. I think you may have fallen into the trap of having a panic and booking because it was there. Your wedding is not for two years, you have time!

Go and see a hundred venues if that's what it takes, but get the right one xxx

• BAMS
    Beginner November 2014
    BAMS ·
    • Hide content

I agree with everyone above, you know when you have the venue for you.

Keep looking

• S
    Beginner September 2014
    Sarah_88 ·
    • Hide content

I agree that you should keep looking, you will know when the venue is right for yourselves

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Peter

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Yep, completely agree with all the other posts, if it doesn't make you excited that you've found your venue, then you probably haven't found it. Keep looking, maybe go and see a couple you had intially discounted, and see what happens. If none of them measure up, then you'll know it's just nerves and you wanting everything to be perfect, and that it really is the one for you

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    AshleighS ·
    • Hide content

Keep looking. Everyone should have that feeling of being on cloud nine when you find the right venue!

What sort of areas are you looking in? Maybe we could recommend a few places?

Good luck

• bex_boo
    Beginner August 2014
    bex_boo ·
    • Hide content

Definitely keep looking!

If the lady running it cannot be bothered to sell her business to you, what will she be like once she has your money? I think she sounds pretty useless. You want somewhere that understands your excitement and will be helpful, and not stressful to you.

I think the Olympics went crazy in 2012 because it was here in the UK, it never seems AS popular when held elsewhere in my opinion. And I don't know anyone who would turn down a wedding invite because they didn't want to miss the diving. That would be crazy.

As for choosing a specific date, I wouldn't get too concerned about that. If another venue has 6th August available then great, but I'd be flexible. I couldn't get my venue on 3 or 4 different dates that I'd have preffered. But now, I can barely even remember what those dates were, it pales into insignificance once it's booked and you start planning other parts of the day. Promise! x

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the other posters.

My first wedding, we booked pretty much the first venue we visited (although I looked at a few online) because the price was good and "yeah, it's alright". This time, we've booked the first venue we looked at (again!), but I get a completely different feeling about it. I'm really excited and actually got a little teary when we went back to the venue to meet with a potential decorator because "This is going to be my wedding venue".

The date and gardens you can work around or get used to with time (although, if you have your heart set on a venue with gardens and are going to be gutted about not having them, then clearly the gardens are very important to you. Tbh, you may find you're not as bothered about the Olympics with it not being in the UK - anyway, isn't your wedding way more exciting than who wins gold in Brazil?). However, if you don't feel confident about the person in charge then definitely keep looking. This person is going to have a major impact on your wedding day. You're going to be trusting them to make sure the venue is up to scratch on the day, ensure that furniture (and presumably decoration) is all arranged and that adjustments are co-ordinated smoothly, not to mention giving them a significant amount of control over your (and your guests') comfort.

Definitely keep looking. It doesn't sound to me like this venue is right for you. It will be one of the most expensive purchases you make for your wedding (if not the most expensive). It needs to be right.

• Arpee
    Beginner August 2016
    Arpee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks everyone, that's very reassuring Smiley smile I have been in touch with a few new places and the first one we saw back in May to arrange viewings. One of them in particular sounds really promising!

• I'm looking in Gloucestershire and surrounding counties (Monmouthshire, Herefordshire, Worcestershire, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Somerset/Bristol/Bath).
    • Any venue needs to have a disabled loo and be totally accessible, I don't want to have send my mum up the service road or through the kitchens to get into the main room (we've seen some venues like that!).
    • Ideally a blank canvas/DIY venue where we can do our own thing, not a package deal where everything is prescribed.
    • It doesn't need to be a licensed venue, I think we're happy to do the legal bit at the registry office a few days before and have a humanist ceremony on the day.
    • Plenty of lovely outdoor space for drinks etc, and we'd love to have a fire pit late into the evening.
    • Somewhere that will give us time to set up on Friday and take down on Sunday, not a wedding factory that does a wedding pretty much every day throughout August.
    • We would totally consider a village hall as long as it's accessible for my mum and has a bit of green space outside.

If you know anywhere that fits that description then do let me know Smiley laugh

No idea why that bit is big and bold, I tried to put it in bullet points to make it easy to read!

• TreacleTart
    Beginner May 2015
    TreacleTart ·
    • Hide content

Hi, As others ahve said if it made you sad enough to cry them maybe looking around some more is for the best.

I've been trying to rack my brains to remember where some friends of ours are getting married - its in Herefordshire and by the sounds of it its really chilled. I think its Lyde Court but not 100% on that... the place is gorgeous, and you can have bonfires, guests can camp, or theres dormitory stule accommodation, or 'proper' guest rooms...not sure regarding the disabled loo's, tho they do state good disabled access so possibly?

http://www.lydecourt.com/Pages/photogallery.html

Also came across this whilst trying to remember the name...

http://www.crippsstonebarn.com/ in Gloucestershire, no idea what its like but theres a disabled loo, and lookslike you can have firepits and it be fairly chilled...

Happy hunting anyway! You'll soon find something you fall in love with x

• Arpee
    Beginner August 2016
    Arpee ·
    • Hide content

Just a little update on this: last week we went to have a second look at the first venue we saw - the only reason I had cast it aside was because I didn't think there was a decent contingency plan for the ceremony if it rained. I asked the lady there about it, and it would all be totally fine. We both left grinning like mad things, talked about it a lot and we paid the deposit this morning! Totally delighted, it is a fab venue!

Thanks for your guidance everyone, very glad we didn't stick with the original venue!

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yay, glad it worked out, sometimes you don't know what's possible unless you ask ?

• J
    Beginner August 2016
    jassy ·
    • Hide content

Keep looking and trust your gut instinct. If the girl that runs it doesn't seem enthusiastic this isn't a good sign, there are plenty venues out there which are willing to work hard to help make your day perfect!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Yay! Chuffed you've sorted it out now, glad you didn't settle :-)

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh wow this is fab news. Which venue did you go for? Did you get the original date you wanted?

• S
    Beginner September 2014
    Sarah_88 ·
    • Hide content

Glad you are sorted and happy!

• Arpee
    Beginner August 2016
    Arpee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The venue is The Wool Barn in Frampton on Severn (Gloucestershire), a 16th century Grade 1 listed barn on a working farm. They only do about a dozen weddings a year, it's all very DIY which is exactly what we wanted, and there are some beautiful gardens attached to it. We didn't get the original date of 6th August, as the photographer we really like is already booked then, so we've stuck with 13th August which is fine - although the great Front of House lady from the catering company is going to be in Rio watching her brother in law compete in the rowing that day!!! I'm sure her replacement will be just as friendly and efficient though. All in all, very happy with what we've got ?

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Looks and sounds amazing!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics