Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Just the two of us?

25 of July of 2011 at 21:50 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0 14

Hubby to be and I are thinking of getting married in Santorini, Greece... We've never been there but always wanted to go and the idea of a small and intimate wedding that's low-key really appeals to us both.... The connundrum we have at the moment is whether to go on our own and do it with just the 2 of us or asking people to come with us? My feeling is that it's not fair to expect people to pay that much money just to come to our wedding, especially when there's members of my own family that i know wouldn't be able to afford it.....

If we did decide to go ahead with going abroad and doing it with just the two of us i'm unsure whether in a few years time i'll regret not having everyone there.... Has anybody done it this way/ is anyone planning to? Any thoughts on the pros and cons?

Any advice greatly appreciated! ?

14 replies

Latest activity by septemberbride2011, 16 of September of 2011 at 11:34
  • septemberbride2011
    Beginner August 2011
    septemberbride2011 ·
    • Hide content

You could always have a party when you get back? I wasn't into having an expensive wedding in the UK just to please/accommodate all the guests plus you can never depend on the weather over here! I'd do what you both want as it's your wedding at the end of the day, we gave everyone 18 months notice and some can come some can't but didn't make anyone feel obliged to go x

• adelly
    Beginner April 2012
    adelly ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married in Las Vegas so I understand how you feel that you are asking a lot of people to go.

If you gave a year or more in notice people would have lots of time to save up. They might even miss their usual annual holiday and have your wedding as their holiday instead. You can tell them that there is no pressure to 'hang around' with you all holiday, that once the wedding is passed they are free to enjoy their time however they like.

The main thing is that you both do whatever YOU want to do, as it's your day. Give people to the opportunity to go if you would like to have some guests. Honestly, you'll be surprised how much people will want to go - people who really want to go will always find a way. We have most of our nearest and dearest coming to Las Vegas with us and it's going to be a really great, small group!

I don't have any 'cons' to share with you but my 'pros' of our abroad wedding are 1. Celebrating with the people who matter most to us 2. The fun 'holiday' feel of the wedding 3. Having a wedding planner to take away some of my stress 4. It's something different, which we like! 5. You can always throw a party in the UK to celebrate with anyone who couldn't go (and you can wear your dress twice!)

If you do whatever makes you happy then you won't ever look back with regrets Smiley smile

http://ramblingbridetobe.blogspot.com/

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

Hi nervousbride88.

I am in a similar situation, want to get married away but know some of my family wont have the money to come. However, I am planning on inviting close family and making sure they know we will have a reception/celebration back home afterwards for everyone, including them, to come to.

All I can suggest is you do what is bestfor you, it is your day after all, and if you want to go alone and have an intimate, romantic wedding, then you should.

• H
    Beginner February 2013
    happy12 ·
    • Hide content

Hello everyone, my name is Luxi, very happy to be here, thank you for the care.

Coach Factory Outlet

Coach Outlet
    Coach Handbags

• adelly
    Beginner April 2012
    adelly ·
    • Hide content

Hello!

No way I don't think it's tacky! I think wearing your dress to the UK party is a great idea. They'll be lots of people who would love to see you in who didn't get chance at the abroad wedding. We're not 100% decided on wether we'll have the UK party but if we do I will definately want the excuse to wear it twice! Smiley smile http://ramblingbridetobe.blogspot.com/

• K
    Beginner February 2012
    kristenw089 ·
    • Hide content

My husband and I planned to get married in California, USA but it was canceled, I was disappointed. But then, change plans, and we try to get marry at Canada. And it was really great.

________

Kristen @ Wedding Garden

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Yes, we're getting married abroad, just the 2 of us. We thought of inviting people, but it's a long way away (East Africa) and then who do we invite? Parents could afford it, yes. OH's brothers? Hmm maybe, but one has a 1yr old son. If they came I'd want my best mate there and she hasn't got the money since she has 2 new twins. And we didn't want to go away just with our parents, that would seem a bit weird. Plus I don't get on that well with my mother who is rather interfering.

So we're going alone. We're spending ££££ on photos and video though, so the parents can "relive" it. We're also having a proper reception back here afterwards with all the traditional cake, speeches etc. We'll have a laptop with the video on loop in a corner so if anyone wants to see the ceremony, they can.

At times I wonder if I'll regret it, but then I realise no, I won't. Family can join in the party, but I want the ceremony to be very private, intimate and low key Smiley smile

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Definitely!! It's cost a fortune so any excuse! Plus if you're having photos then even more reason to wear it. And friends and family will want to see it, surely?

If you had a reception straight after your wedding you'd be in your dress, so why the difference if the reception is a couple of weeks later?

• soontobemrsclewer
    Beginner March 2012
    soontobemrsclewer ·
    • Hide content

Hiya,

We're getting married in New Zealand, and it will be just us and my parents... we're over there anyway, and to hold the service with minimal fuss etc is not only going to save us a fortune but is also what we both want (the walking down the aisle of a proper ceremony terrifies me!) ...

Planning a UK reception when we get back and I'm definitely wearing my dress again! ... I feel lucky that I'll get to wear it twice!!! - although at the moment still need to buy it!!!

I think getting married with just us means we are going to focus more on the ceremony and what they means rather than getting sucked up into the whirlwind of weddings and end up spending a fortune and forgetting what it's about (that's what happened with the OH's brothers weddings!)

I feel much more excited about doing it this way - takes the pressure off a bit!!

If your OH thinks wearing the dress twice is tacky ask him if he minds you buying two then?! haha x

• brenda.hu
    Beginner June 2012
    brenda.hu ·
    • Hide content

You guys could have a wedding in Greece,then come back have a ceremony around your place.

• ScillyB2B
    Beginner June 2012
    ScillyB2B ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

We were in a similar situation. It depends on your budget and travel expense etc but what we have decided is we have rented a house big enough for us, our parents and our sisters and brothers in law. They were the people we really couldnt imagine getting married without so wanted to make sure they werent put under financial strain by coming. They are paying for their travel but I think everyone is happy with that as their accommoadation is paid for. We have then invited a handful of very close family members and friends who we explained we couldnt pay for and understood if they didnt feel they could come but so far everyone has said they are coming! We are so touched.

We're not doing the party thing back at home as that was one of the things we wanted to to away to avoid! Would love the excuse to wear the dress again though!

• septemberbride2011
    Beginner August 2011
    septemberbride2011 ·
    • Hide content

Just an update, I've just come back from getting married abroad and 18 of us went. There were so many arguments it totally spoiled our honeymoon and wished it was just us and the kids to be honest. I now hate my mother in law and father in law for causing so many arguments and stressing us out. I vote for just the two of you and possibly a shin dig when you get home xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics