Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner May 2014

'Just Us' Wedding in Mauritius

jimmyeatworld, 15 of May of 2013 at 13:09 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0 6

Hi Everyone,

I've just got engaged, and my fiance and I are planning to get married - just the two of us (not bringing any guests) - in Mauritius next May.

I was just wondering if anyone has had/is planning a 'just us' wedding - either abroad or at home. I haven't been able to find much about this online, as most people getting married abroad still bring a few guests.

At the moment, I'm trying to think of ways to get my closest family involved in the wedding, even though they won't be there. I'm hoping to take them away for a weekend when we get back, and also maybe give them a special gift. I just want them to feel included, and that they are able to celebrate with us, even though they won't be there on the day.

If anyone has any ideas/advice about this sort of wedding, it would be great! ?

Thanks,

J x

6 replies

Latest activity by mercede5, 25 of May of 2013 at 09:32
  • C
    Beginner August 2014
    chessierose ·
    • Hide content

I'm so glad I've just seen this post because I am in the exact same position, we made the decision to go for this last night so my brain is a little frazzled trying to think about the logistics and such things.

Unfortunately I haven't got much wisdom to share just yet as I'm in the very beginning stages too but I'd be happy to share all the info I get as I learn it Smiley smile.

The only thing we've thought of to get family involved is perhaps setting up a video link (skype for instance) so family can watch the ceremony so they can feel a little more part of it.

?

• J
    Beginner May 2014
    jimmyeatworld ·
    • Hide content

Hi there,

Great to hear someone else is going down the same route, wedding-wise. Do you know where you're going to go? We've chosen Mauritius as a friend of a friend got married there and it looks lovely. We're looking at Lux Le Morne.

We are considering the video-link thing at the moment. We can't decide whether we want to do that, or whether we want to keep the ceremony for ourselves, but have it recorded to show people afterwards. The video link seems like a good idea, but I wonder if it might distract me during the ceremony, and make me feel self-conscious.

In the past couple of days, we've decided to take our closest family on both sides (just parents and siblings) away for the night when we get back. We would do it as a surprise, and send them invites in the post. We want to make sure they know they're important to us and that we want to celebrate with them, even if they won't be there on the day. We're going to take them for dinner at a hotel near us, stay overnight and take them to the hotel spa the next day. We think it will cost around £800-1000, but this seems like a small price to pay when we'll be saving so much money by going abroad!

Hope you start to get things sorted soon. Will be interesting to keep in touch and see how your planning goes! ?

J x

• N
    Beginner October 2013
    Nanoushka ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married in Greece just the two of us. Maybe take some friends to our fave Indian when we get back and tell them we got married. We don't have family so do not have to worry about that just a handful of really close friends so maybe not quite what you are looking for but suits us as we don't want any fuss.

• louise fisher
    Beginner July 2014
    louise fisher ·
    • Hide content

I plan to get a two wedding too in abroad,but we will definitely invite important and close friends and families for a meal,dancing or bringing in other activities for celebrating.

Yeah,it is a good idea for presenting them gifts...

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

We did the same, but on Zanzibar. We didn't want the fuss of family or guests, so went on our own. I did worry that I may regret doing it, but nearly a year later, I am so convinced we did the right thing.

There's a link in my signature to our wedding report, which gives more info on what we did and how we planned it.

As for including people, I think you have to accept that by going away, you aren't including them. I phoned my dad just before the ceremony, and we sent both sets of parents a quick picture message when we were married. My in laws apparently celebrated by going out to dinner on our wedding day. We did have a party when we got back, but if I were to do it all again, I wouldn't have bothered since it was more stress organising that than the wedding. Instead I'd just invite closest family and friends to dinner in a nice pub, and book a private dining area.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married just the 2 of us in Vegas in June 2014. My key piece of advice would be to just get married and then tell people afterwards. Since we have announced we are getting married just the 2 of us then people have either thought it was a joke or have tried to talk us out of it! The more time that goes by the more l am convinced we have chosen to do the right thing. To be honest we are doing a party when we get back because we feel like we have to, neither of us are that into the idea. Good luck with your planning!

• mercede5
    Beginner March 2013
    mercede5 ·
    • Hide content

We had a just us wedding abroad in March which I definitely have no regrets about. My husband has extreme stage fright and could not bear the thought of having a huge audience!

We were so lucky that our families and close friends supported us 100%. But we tried to keep them as involved as much as possible. My sister and Mum were very involved with the dress choosing and fitting, and my husbands best friend went suit shopping with him. Whilst we were away we made our own video diary - just a few minutes each day, from travelling to the airport, arriving abroad, meeting the wedding planner and visiting our venue for the first time! And whilst we were abroad we did text and email a few pictures back when possible so that our family could still feel a part of proceedings.

When we got back we had a very small relaxed family wedding reception, we wore our outfits again and had a cake to cut, we also took a photo album of pictures to the meal so people could have a look through.

I think as you go along you'll find plenty of little ways to keep people involved.

Hope everything goes well.

xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics