Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

D
Beginner May 2020 Nottinghamshire

Just want a moan really

Disgruntledbride, 1 of November of 2020 at 02:53 Posted on Planning 0 2
Hi everyone, I've read through these forums in times of pre-weddsing fed up-ness for the past 2 years but never posted myself before! My name is Emma and I've had such a palaver with my wedding during Covid - we had it booked for 25th June originally and postponed it to 10th November.

As soon as we got up the courage to whittle our guests down to 30, the 15 people rule came in. Then the rumours started about the tier system and everyone was convinced nottingham would be tier 3. We actually went to tier 2 and our venue was tier 1 so we thought OK, we might get away with this. Then nottingham went up to tier 3 plus and I had to move all my beauty appointments forward by a week because the salons were due to close. (The amount of annual leave I've used on this wedding, honestly.)
We thought OK that's fine, because our venue was still tier 1 so we could have a meal still. But now Boris has announced a national lockdown a week and a half before we're due to get married... The timing during this whole thing has just been so rubbish, it feels like the tories have a personal vendetta against me and my partner haha!
So our plan is to try and move our wedding a week forward, before the lockdown starts, so that we can still have our day. I don't know if lockdown cancels weddings entirely or if ceremonies only are still allowed, but I'm really reluctant to make most of my family travel 3 hours for a 20 minute ceremony. So we're going to ring the registry office as soon as they open on Monday to see if we can get married the next day.
However this is extremely short notice for our guests and I said to them all I completely understand if you can't get the day off. Most have said they'll try to make it but have apologised in advance if they can't. This is fine but I'm really angry with my supposed best mate, who sent 5 drunken messages telling me it was impossible for her to get the day off at such short notice. This is obviously absolutely fine as I said - however, this is the girl who, when she was supposed to be working from home during the first lockdown, sent me a pic of her drinking wine in her back garden in the middle of the day. So it's not like she's against calling in fake sick.
I am ABSOLUTELY NOT saying she has to call in sick. But this is the same person who made me feel bad for making my sister maid of honour instead of her, and like I said, is not afraid to skive off work just because it's sunny so I don't really see why she can't do the same for her supposed best mate's wedding, the best mate she never bothers to check in with but sulks if I seem to be getting close to any other friends (think Annie and Helen in the film Bridesmaids!!). But thankfully, this has shown me who my real friends are.
On another note, I'm really, really sick of people telling me that the most important thing is that we're getting married. Yes, I know that, thank you very much! But if that was all I wanted, I would've done it 3 years ago at my local registry office and I wouldn't have spent all this time and money planning a party only to be disappointed time and time again. Grr!
Hope all the other Covid brides out there are doing OK xx

2 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 1 of November of 2020 at 18:05
  • S
    Beginner
    SunnyGoldHair95974 ·
    • Hide content
    I feel you- we are meant to be getting married in 2 weeks we had just started to get excited about it again for 15 people and were just going to have the ceremony and a small meal for the 15 and then go off on our mini moon and now this. I'm from newcastle and initially worried about getting put into tier 3 then we survived and were in tier 2 and had finally thought were on home run and now I just feel broken.
    I have rang the registrars and we can get married this Wednesday but the venue cant organise meal etc with that short notice and I dont even know if we can stay in a hotel that night or if any of the guests can come so weighing up that (my fiance is at work) or to postpone. Neither of the options is what I wanted.
    And one of my bridesmaids who hasnt spoken to me since I said she couldn't be part of the 15 as it is literally just immediate family even though I really wanted her there hasnt even messaged to say anything about the news or ask if im ok. Probably just overreacting as I'm upset but really feel like I've found out who my friends are
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Sending cyber-hugs to you both - the first thing I thought of when I heard about the English lockdown was all the brides & grooms who would be affected. I'm so sorry, but really hope you are both able to get married ahead of the lockdown, and that those who most want to be there are able to make it.

I'm sorry you're not having the support you'd hoped for from some of your friends either. It does show who your friends are at times like these. Three of my four closest friends were amazingly supportive when our wedding had to be postponed due to the first lockdown - the fourth one didn't contact me at all, and hasn't since. I guess at least you won't be wasting time on 'non-friend friends' in future...but small comfort for you now, I know xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics