Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner September 2012

Just want advice. Am I being oversensitive?

Celtic B, 3 April, 2012 at 08:49 Posted on Planning 0 18

The clasp on my engagement ring came loose and one of the diamonds fell out. I found the diamond and we took it back into the jewllers that we brought it from. The shop assistant looked at it (and consulted the manager) and came back to us saying that if it was less than a year old they would repair it for free and it would take 2 weeks, we just needed to bring the reciept. My OH then took it back in to the shop the same day with the reciept and was told it would be a week at quality control to check it was a strong enough design to hold the diamonds (this seemed a little stupid to me, why would they have made it in the first place if not!) and that they would ring us at the end of that week and that it would be another 2 weeks to repair after that.

After he got home he realised that the date on the card was actually 3 1/2 weeks! not that big a deal but still annoying. We waited a whole 3 weeks no phone call. We did call them but was just told it isnt back yet. Yeasterday 3 weeks after taking it in they phoned the house and left a message saying that it was back form quality control and that they deemed it not a manufacturing fault therefore they need our premission to send it off again for someone to quote how much it was going to cost to repair for us. But as a good will gesture they would give us a discount!

I have no problem with paying for it to be repaired I am actually going to collect it today and take it to an independant jewllers to do as I really dont want them anywhere near it anymore. What I am really annoyed about is the incompetence of the staff. The shop assistants obvoiusly have no idea as to the shop protocol for repairs even though it is a service they offer! There is very little communication from them (they also had OHs mobile no but it was obvious form the answerphone message that the assistant didnt want to speak to a person and was glad to have got the answer phone)

Am I being oversensitive or should I be annoyed?

18 replies

Latest activity by delphi13, 4 April, 2012 at 17:06
  • C
    Beginner September 2012
    Celtic B ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Old Bear! I just wanted to be sure! I will think happy thoughts!!?

• looneysh
    Beginner May 2012
    looneysh ·
    • Hide content

I would be annoyed just like you.....

I would also be asking how they have managed to determine its not a manufactoring fault? If the clasp came loose then surely it would be a manufactoring fault unless you know it got caught on clothing or door handle or something that damaged it.

How long hae you had the ring for? I'm guesiimng from your post it would be less than a year is this correct?

I have copied and pasted this information from a consumer website. It talks a lot about vacuum cleaners etc, as they are probably the most commonly known products to breakdown etc. But I think an engagement ring would fall under this category that should last several years. So them saying no manufacturing fault to me is rubbish

Durability is another recent addition to the definition of quality. How long should a dishwasher or a vacuum cleaner or a printer last? This is a very common source of complaint and one which manufacturers were always quick to turn back on the consumer, requiring them to provide proof that the item did not conform to contract specification from the start, or implying an element of misuse or neglect. Thanks to the new European Regulations, UK law now offers greater protection for consumers against products which develop faults within the first 6 months. The assumption is now that if it breaks down within this time period it cannot have conformed to the contract specification when purchased and you have the right to an automatic repair or replacement. Having said this, items which should last several years can still break down after this six month period. If the retailer or manufacturer’s warranty has run out, the shop is often quick to say there is nothing they can do before attempting to sell you an extended warranty. This is misleading. If you buy something which should last 7 years but breaks down after a year and a day, you can still claim it was of poor quality in reference to the durability aspect. In this respect it will help to know how long items such as washing machines or printers should last. You can get this information relevant trade association

Hope this helps

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I don't suppose the jewellers was Ernest Jones was it?

A similar sort of thing happened with my ring. My ring was only about 5 weeks old though. It took them about 4 weeks to tell me they would fix it, and another 6 or 7 weeks for the ring to be fixed.

I don't think you're being over sensitive at all. These people have no customer service whatsoever!

• C
    Beginner September 2012
    Celtic B ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for that. Yeah it is under a year bt to be honest in my job (Iam a trainee vet nurse) I cant be sure that I didnt catch it when holding something. I do take it off whenever I think the pet might be difficult but sometimes I can forget. So I am happy to pay for it to be repaired I just wish they had told me the full story at the start. i will send a letter of complaint but I will get my ring back first!!!!

• C
    Beginner September 2012
    Celtic B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You hit it on the head and if thats how long yours took I am definately getting it back\!!!!

• *tinkerbell*
    Beginner March 2013
    *tinkerbell* ·
    • Hide content

You have every right to be annoyed . I had a similiar experience although it was in the jewlers care when two stones fell out. I had only had it 5 months when i decided to advantage of there lifetime free cleaning service as we were going to visit my OH brother and family who hadnt yet seen it . Basically i wanted it to be really shiny again to flash around ?

It just so happended that the day i was in town to take it to the shop was valentines day . So dropped it off and went round the shops for an hour before returning to pick up my ring. At first under the silly dim lighting in the shop everything looked fine , popped the ring back on my finger and off i went home. After being in the door all of ten minutes i realised two of the small diamonds that run fown the side of the ring were missing . I was absolutely gutted but at the same time furious. By the time i would have got back to the shop it would have been closed so had to wait till the next day . Safe to say breaking the news to the OH pretty much put a downer on our valentines day.

The next morning i marched straight in to the shop as soon as the doors opended . I told them i had been in the previous day to get my ring cleanned and two diamonds were now missing . The shop assistant to the rinf into the back room and returned around ten minutes later to say she had found the stones in the bottom of the cleaning tray . She then said that it would have to be sent away to be fixed and would be back in store on friday (this was wednesday) so tht wasnt to bad and would be perfect timing as we were leaving friday night to visit OH brother.

Basically to cut the story short i got no phonecall like promised to collect on friday so went in at the end of the day to find out it wasnt ready?

Didnt in the end get it back till the following wednesday .... again no phone call from them i had to phone the shop. Never once did the shop apologise for anything . Any time we tried to get an explanation or apology the just said the same thing '' we wouldnt give you something we werent entirely happy with so it been checked and it shouldnt happen again'' So i gave up trying and took my ring home ...... wether i return to the shop for cleaning in the future is still up for debate . Would rather pay and have piece of mind somewhere else.

So CELTIC B you have every right to be annoyed !!!

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

My ring is from a private jewellers and comes with a lifetime guarantee. They are so confident that the stone will never fall out, that they fully cover the cost if it does. I would be fuming at being expected to pay for a repair on something that should last a lifetime.

• Dana_leigh
    Beginner August 2013
    Dana_leigh ·
    • Hide content

Mine was from fHinds and the setting came loose twice and they repaired it withing 2 weeks free of charge and the third time the replaced it (OH actually upgraded it to a bigger diamond set as it had gone on sale by then) and it was my size, so haven't had an issue since

(the first was resized and we think it moved the settings apart as it was made smaller)

I can see why you are upset and I don't think you are being unreasonable at all. I'm so glad we didn't use them in the end!

• Loopz
    Beginner March 2013
    Loopz ·
    • Hide content

I had a ring from which the diamond fell out...the ring was from an independent jewellers but ernest jones resized it for me. Ernest jones were a blooming nightmare! They had the ring in total for over a year, the main sapphire fell out and they replaced it with a completely different stone without telling me! I was appalled. They then claimed it was the original stone. I was so fuming with them as I was without the ring for a year. The finished product looked awful as they tried to make sure the stones were in the clasp tightly, flattening the faster laws on top. I did get half the cost of the ring back in compensation, but the stress and upset was soooo much! I wouldn't touch them now!! You are lucky you got it back and I wouldn't trust them...taking it somewhere else is the best idea. You have every right to be annoyed. I would write a strongly worded complaint letter. Their customer service sounds shocking!!!

• S
    SarahThompson ·
    • Hide content

I would most certainly be annoyed. It's the customer service that is the issue here not the actual ring itself. Have you tried a complaint to Head Office? stating the customer service as the main reason for your complaint? It may work, it may not, but you will certainly feel better for complaining.

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

I suspect i know who this shop is, as i've had similar run ins with them. Go to an independent jeweller and get it checked again. Just be aware that were you to have anything done to it by anyone other than the shop, this voids the original warranty completely.

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

Just seen that you said ernest jones. I can give you a full run down of my history with them, but needless to say it would take me the best part of an hour to type it up. Steer clear, get your ring back and don't let them touch it. They have awful customer services, take no responsibility for anything and i honestly would never ever buy from them or h samuel ever again.

• K
    Beginner June 2012
    kfair ·
    • Hide content

I used to work for h samuel ?, same company as ernest jones, and the service is very,very,very poor especially when it comes to repairs. Basically what would happen is we used to send them out to the cheapest, local, independant jeweller to repair. I wouldn't ever buy anything from either stores. ☹️

• C
    Beginner September 2012
    Celtic B ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone. I went in today and collected it (I made a fuss as they also tried to give it back to me without the box! small I know but i was rilled at this point) Took it 5 min walk up the road to the jewellers and it will be fixed by next week and will cost £10!!

I think this does invalidate the warantee but hay that seems to be invalid if you wear it so hey no loss!!!!

Thank you everyone

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This explains SO much of what happened to my ring. I will never trust them ever again with anything. In fact my experience was so awful with them that i didn't wear my engagement ring for 6 months out of terror that it would break for a fourth time after they had made alterations to it. I had the stones reset by an independent jeweller as soon as we could afford it. I wish we had just gone straight to an independent jeweller in the first place.

• D
    Savvy September 2012
    delphi13 ·
    • Hide content

I had a problem with a watch catch breaking from Ernest Jones. They firstly told me it would take 3 weeks to get it assessed and then a further 3 for it to be fixed which may be at my cost as it might be a manufacturing fault.

I filled out their online questionaire and gave them appalling feedback, it took them a week to respond but when they did they said they would do the repair free of charge and it was back within a couple of days.

Whilst I don't rate their customer service initially. They did sort it out when I made my feelings clear. I would fight it if I was you. I think they bully everyone the same way at first in order to avoid paying for repairs.

It does sound like they have some shoddy merchandise in general.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics