Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner July 2017

Justin Alexander dress alterations? Helpppp!

Much_ado_about_weddings, 12 of June of 2016 at 15:13 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi everyone!

I bought a beautiful Justin Alexander dress in a second hand shop a while ago. I just tried it on again and, while I do really like the dress, it doesn't fit quite right. I have (I think!) a decent figure but huge hips and this dress seems to over-emphasise them; it's just not as flattering as I think some other dresses could be. So I want to try and get it altered...

What should I ask a seamstress to do to it? Also the bottom is verrrrry creased and crumpled but I guess I'm not supposed to it on it... How can I get it de-creased? Does it maybe need a petticoat underneath..?

I've included a pic from the website, and a pic of me in it!

thanks soooo much for any advice on how to make it fit/look better!!

6 replies

Latest activity by Ash953, 13 of June of 2016 at 12:32
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it makes your hips look big at all. You have a lovely figure in it. I think (not 100% sure) they steam dresses. Yu could maybe try hanging it in the bathroom to see f some creases come out. The model is possibly wearing a hooped underskirt for the additional fullness. I think it looks nice either way so it's can to what you prefer.

You look really lovely in it x

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

Oh pshh I was expecting you to look huge and you just honestly don't. Your hips look enviably nice!

Do bear in mind that your photo is front on, and the model is at a slight angle, which visually slims her hips.

The store I bought my dress at steams them once alterations are finished before you pick them up, which will get rid of all the creases.

You look lovely and I prefer the dress on you to the model Smiley smile

xxx

• M
    Beginner July 2017
    Much_ado_about_weddings ·
    • Hide content

Thanks both - that's really sweet of you and I do feel a bit better about it now actually (I was thinking about trying to buy a new dress instead so now I'm not sure if I need to!). I've always tried to hide my wide hips and I think one problem is that I usually wear jeans or A-line short dresses, so it's a bit of a shock seeing me in this sort of dress - I didn't realise my hips would poke out quite so much! :/ But you're right - the sideways photos are much more flattering (I just got my poor dad to play at being 'photographer' for me so I could check) so I'll have to tell my tog not to take front photos of me... Argh!

Thanks for the tip re creasing too; good to know they will do that along with alterations! The bathroom tip is smart too!

Right - next job...find a seamstress!!

Thanks for the replies Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner May 2017
    MrsW2017 ·
    • Hide content

You honestly don't have big hips! You look beautiful and it really suits you. Maybe your local dry cleaners would be able to steam the dress for you. I would have thought a seamstress would know if and what alterations were required so maybe go see someone and see what they suggest?

• 2BMrsC
    Beginner May 2017
    2BMrsC ·
    • Hide content

Personally I think the model looks like she has bigger hips than you! Looks stunning and as others have said, most seamstresses will have the facility to steam it for you!

It's worth phoning some bridal shops to try to source someone to do the alterations- just tell them that you haven't bought your dress from them but are looking for recommendations for someone to do some alterations- I know at least two bridal shops round here that will do alterations for 'outsourced' dresses and don't charge much more than they charge for their own stock!

• C
    Beginner November 2017
    CantwaittobeMrsDavies17 ·
    • Hide content

That dress looks gorgeous on you - I am jealous of your hips!! x

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with whoever said that your hips look smaller than the model's hips.

I bought my dress off the peg, too. I found a seamstress who used to make wedding dresses but transitioned to altering them. She was fabulous. Since I was travelling post-seamstress, she recommended that I put my dress in to be pressed/steamed with a dry cleaner who specializes in pressing/steaming wedding dresses.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics