Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner July 2012

Justin Alexander sizing

libracat, 7 of June of 2011 at 21:32 Posted on Planning 0 26

Hi guys,

I need a bit of advice from all you gorgeous ladies who have Justin Alexander dresses. What size does your label say in your dress? I've bought a beautiful dress (preowned) and was told it was a 16 but the label says 14...so im confused. ?

HELP

26 replies

Latest activity by kharv, 23 of June of 2014 at 15:20
  • nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

Hi,i am not that sure about the exact sizing but i have an 8 and am a size 8 / 10. Has the dress been altered to you think ? Does it fit you?

• L
    Beginner July 2012
    libracat ·
    • Hide content

I havnet got it yet, my sister picked it up for me....Its not my size, i have a year before the wedding and ive dropped a dress size since xmas so im hopeful ? ( i know its a bit risky)

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

I did the exact same,the lady measured me and said i was in between two sizes. I asked her to order the smaller size and lost 17lb since Jan,tried it on last week and it fits!. Good luck,it is easier if you have something you just have to achieve.Have you got a flash of your dress?

• L
    Beginner July 2012
    libracat ·
    • Hide content

Not of the actual dress but its this one

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

He he,great taste!!!!

• L
    Beginner July 2012
    libracat ·
    • Hide content

? yay

so your dress is an 8 and do you wear an 8? (sorry to ask so many questions

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

Well all my clothes are tens really as i have not bought anything new since i lost weight but yeah big eight small ten i would say. The bust bit needs taken in on me and the most important bit is the waist on this dress,i think my waist is a size eight in british sizing. Such a nice dress to wear.

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

I went and had a look and i think it works out mid way,your dress is a size 15 i reckon.

• L
    Beginner July 2012
    libracat ·
    • Hide content

?

thankyou for having a look.

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content

I was a 14 when I bought my dress and I bought a size 14 (it fit perfectly). Went on to lose weight though so had to have it taken in before the day. I'm sure you'll manage to lose the weight before your wedding (I did without even really trying!)

• L
    Beginner July 2012
    libracat ·
    • Hide content

Thanks guys, sounds like the lady made an error when selling her dress, I wouldnt have bought it i knew it was a 14. A 16 may have been possible to lose weight to get into but a 14 is just not going to happen

☹️

• J
    Beginner June 2013
    jeloco ·
    • Hide content

I have just ordered my dress, and was told in the shop that I need a US10. This came as a bit of a surprise, as I am usually between a UK size 8 and 10, and I know a US10 is supposed to be equivalent to a UK14!

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Do JA dresses come up small?

I'd be very grateful for any reassurance!

• L
    Beginner March 2013
    lumc86 ·
    • Hide content

I'm about a 10 on top, but more of a 14 around the hips/bum thighs. My JA (which is quite a fitted fishtail style) has been ordered in a 12. It will need taking in a little bit around the top and letting out ever so slightl around the thighs/bum.

So in answer to your question, I would say that JA dresses are normally pretty true to dress size, but obvisouly it does depend on the style as well.

My dress does have pretty generous seams, so can be let out by a good 1.5cm dwn each side. If it's true that all JA dresses have generous seems then you might still be ok with a 14 as there is room for it to be let out.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+
    Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+ ·
    • Hide content

It isnt an error, the dress IS a size 16, the label in the dress is the US size. Justin Alexander dresses always say a size smaller on the label than they actually are for exactly this reason.

Wedding dress sizing is a law unto itself. I stock 7 ranges in the shop and I can guarantee that the inch measurements for no two size 18s will be the same. If you buy a plus sized gown, designed specifically for a curvy girl then the sizing is likely to be a lot more accurate (for example if I put a Callista size 20 on then I know theres a very good chance it would fit). If however it is just a large sample of an "ordinary" dress range then Im likely to need nothing less than a 24.

Zips and more much rigid than lace up backs too and much more difficult to size and as I have that fabulous JA 8465 in the shop I know its a zip and button.

Dont worry about the label, the main thing is that the dress fits properly as a dress that is too tight will give you back boobs and bum!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Embrace, my JA 8645 label says 18! That means it's a UK size 22?! I'm a 14/16 usually! I know you can't go on wedding dress sizes for accuracy but this seems a bit weird even to me! (You can see me in my wedding report for size reference!)

• Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+
    Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+ ·
    • Hide content

Its confusing isnt it! The label in a JA gown will say 1 size smaller than the UK size but most wedding gowns, because they are so well tailored, are probably 2 dress sizes smaller than high street clothing. Added to this the fact that the dress is a zip and not lacing you probably need 1 size on top of that.

I made the mistake when I was setting up the shop thinking that a size 16 wedding gown would fit a size 16 figure. In reality some of them are no more than a 12, which is the exact opposite of what i wanted to achieve in the shop.

• Katianne
    Beginner February 2014
    Katianne ·
    • Hide content

I have fallen for a JA dress too and am unsure about the sizing. I am currently in between a 12 and a 14 but have a bit more weight to lose yet (we get married in Feb) so I'm aiming to be a 12. So will I need a size 14 or 16? Thanks in advance!

• G
    Beginner September 2013
    Gemmy08 ·
    • Hide content

Katianne your best trying it on, but my experience is I am a uk size 12, and my JA dress is a 14, I have put on 1 1/2 stone since stopping smoking so do intend to lose weight, but when i tried on the 14 it fit me like a glove. Mine is lace up so not too concerned about it fitting, but if I were you try ringing round a few shops to see what size they carry and try on some different ones. I tried on a 14 in a fishtail an it wouldnt go over my shoulders

• Katianne
    Beginner February 2014
    Katianne ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Gemma that's good advice. I have booked an appointment at another shop tomorrow and am going to try som JA dresses on and find out what size I am. They haven't got the dresses I want but hopefully it will give me an idea of the size ?

• G
    Beginner September 2013
    Gemmy08 ·
    • Hide content

No probs, good luck!

• E
    Beginner February 2015
    Emmajane79 ·
    • Hide content

Hi there, I had my first fitting yesterday to check the dress is perfect (not for any alterations) due to the fact it wasn't due in until October but has arrived from the designer 4 months early-not had any real explanation as to why this is. Anyway, I feel so deflated as the dress was so uncomfortable and tight. It is Justin Alexander 8596 and is a size US 4 which is supposed to be a UK size 6. I must stress that I am not a Uk 6 and haven't been since my early 20's and am now a more shapely UK size 8. The measurements where taken in February this year on choosing the dress but I do very well at maintaining my weight and have hardly changed shape at all. I literally could hardly breathe in it and felt that my rib age was squashed and sitting down was a challenge, I felt nervy and anxious it! Surely, this is wrong!?? Despite being told that a lot of brides will put up with this to feel/look so amazing!! You could infact see the undergarment of the dress and how it was riding up around my hips, as my sister took pictures. I am going to go back next week to try it once more but have pretty much made up my mind that I need to ask for a size UK 8 despite having been told it will cost me more for the alterations? Not quite sure why this is such a problem?

Has anyone else experienced this with this dress or another dress... The internet says that previous JA brides have felt so comfortable in this dress and danced the night away-mine made me feel like I would be lucky if I don't pass out!

Advice needed....

• A
    Beginner July 2014
    Aykay ·
    • Hide content

A us size 4 is a uk size in a nornal. However my ja is a us12 and was ordered when I was a uk 12 and the sample was a little tight. I am not surprised a us4 is tight on you if you are a uk7. The ja sizing chart is easy to find on google images....check your measurements against it as the dress shop may well have ordered the wrong size. Just a thought but are you sure it is your dress and not for another bride that has cancelled her wedding etc?

• E
    Beginner February 2015
    Emmajane79 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your reply.. I notice you say tight, but not incapacitating :-) like mine felt. I have looked on Google and found the JA measurements-I will get someone to measure me against these sizes. My partner has already said it seems extremely strange and my sister at the fitting felt that the lady seemed 'dead-set' on me having that dress...trying to persuade me as much as possible that I looked truly amazing and how it showed off my figure so well. I, on the other hand, felt truly awful in it! You may well have a point re. Another bride but I just can't believe that a bridal shop could be so dishonest! But, then again, that's me. When she took it out of its zip up bag the first thing she said to me was 'it's very tiny'..'you're going to look amazing in this'. Another thing said was how it loosens up on the day (but as I am getting married in Thailand where the weather will be hot) it will have to loosen up quickly! :-)

• A
    Beginner July 2014
    Aykay ·
    • Hide content

Something just seems very odd about how the shop are acting. How long ago did you order dress. I ordered beginning of Jan and it arrived end of May. If this ties I with ypur timescale then it may be your dress and the shop has messed up but trying to cover their arses. I actually tried on your dress. Its a gorgeous dress and is also very popular so that is why im wondering about the shops actions or motives.

My dress was a little tight when I tried the sample but I was still breastfeeding so knew I would lose weight before it arrived.

Have you any pictures of you in the dress at all?

• E
    Beginner February 2015
    Emmajane79 ·
    • Hide content

Funnily enough, I ordered mine on 1st feb and got a phone call last Saturday to say it had arrived in early. That had already crossed my mind, too. Initially, I was told that they wanted me in for alterations ASAP and I made it plain I wasn't happy. I asked about whether I would have to then bring my dress home to which they said yes. As I have storage issues particularly as my wedding isn't until feb '15, unhappy, I told them I would get back to them. Eventually, they chased me and went back on their word saying they would be happy to store it until Oct as I hadn't expected it but could I pay the balance within the next couple of months rather than in Oct as planned. I have thought to ring the designer direct and find out exactly what has happened and the size they have on the system. I just don't understand why she is pressing me to take this dress..hundreds of brides all over lose so many pounds for their wedding day that they must have to under go alterations to get it perfect-so why should this be any different for me? The bridal shop have told me that I can go a size bigger and they will send the us 4 back but once the next size comes they can't get the smaller size back again... Hope this makes sense?! Yes, I have got pictures as my sis took three..they are on my phone-I will transfer them and send them so you can look as soon as I am next on the computer...

• E
    Beginner February 2015
    Emmajane79 ·
    • Hide content

Ps and when I say 'go a size bigger' apparently that won't emphasise my wonderful shape quite the same. :-/. And making many references to my bottom and waist and how good I looked! Felt brainwashed when I came out and so did my sister! It was only until we went over it and had a good chat about it, that we thought it seemed odd...

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Mine didn't feel that tight at all. It was a dream to wear to be honest. If mine had been too tight my boobs would have been making a bid for freedom out the top.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics