Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emma
Curious April 2024 South Yorkshire

Keeping maiden name

Emma, 28 of October of 2022 at 15:28 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 9

I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were in regards to keeping my maiden name, but going by 'Ms' after we wed.

I've had my name for 33 years now, and we lost my dad last year, so keeping it as it is, would be my preferred option.

We don't want children so their names wouldn't be an issue.

Also, not a fan of double barrel names. Mine ends KE & his starts C so they don't flow together well.

My partner is quiet upset would love for me to take his name, but I'm just not feeling it. I have nothing to do with his family so I don't think it would work for me. I'm trying to think of some kind of compromise that would suit us both. I don't want to be Mrs Madienname, as that's my mums name.

Any suggestions/advice welcome Smiley smile

9 replies

Latest activity by Yolandadum, 7 of November of 2022 at 15:59
  • A
    Dedicated March 2024 Essex
    Alison ·
    • Hide content
    You could consider:
    -adding his last name to yours as a middle name
    -creating your own last name by merging the letters of yours together eg. If your name was smith and his was jones, you could become Mr and Mrs Smones
  • K
    Savvy September 2023 East Sussex
    Kyla ·
    • Hide content
    Apologies in advance because this may seem harsh but your FH could just deal with the fact you don't want his name and you both live happily ever after in the 21st century?

Why should you have to compromise? How does he feel about taking your name instead? Because if he doesn't like it that's basically what he'd be asking you to do.
    Also plenty of married women use Ms and their own surnames! Keep your name... it will save you time, money and effort changing it on official documents anyway.
  • S
    Savvy July 2023 Essex
    Sian ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree. You’ve only really got 2 reasonable options here; either he takes your last name or you both keep own names. Don’t worry about traditions or social pressures, people do whatever they want nowadays so neither would be particularly unusual 😊
  • Anonbride
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

I've recently made the decision to be Mrs MyName HisName legally and professionally - to keep my identity and reputation. Socially I'll be Mrs HisName so the double barrell isn't being used all the time and we have that Mr & Mrs so and so which I do think is nicer and less of a mouthful! Thought I'd throw it out there as another option as I hadn't thought of it until I knew someone who did this.

In my circles Ms MyName would signify that you're divorced... obviously, you do you and societal perception might not be an issue for you, but just a heads up that that might be how people that don't know your situation would interpret that name.

• K
    Savvy September 2023 East Sussex
    Kyla ·
    • Hide content
    That's a point about how some people view Ms, but honestly that is a very outdated viewpoint and what's so wrong with being divorced? Not be a negative person but separations and divorce happen a lot and do you know who has to go through the faff of changing everything back?! Women! I've been married before so I know personally. There are plenty of brides on here who are planning their second or third weddings. If women want to take their husbands surnames then wonderful. But you are under no obligation to follow what society 'expects'.

Whether you choose Ms or Mrs isn't really the issue here, it's about keeping your last name. And I'll say it again, why can't he take your last name or you both double barrel?
  • Anonbride
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh my gosh absolutely no hate on people are divorced!!!! I definitely didn't mean it to come across that way.

It was more that I'm not sure people would necessarily want others to assume they are divorced when they're actually married.

• Km86
    Dedicated December 2022 North Yorkshire
    Km86 ·
    • Hide content

Yeah I use Ms currently as I'm divorced but I wouldn't have used it when I was married, for me Ms = divorced.

I guess everyone is different.

also with regards to not wanting to be Mrs Maidenname as that's your mums name, that's what happens to the majority of people with their mother in laws, I don't see that as a problem.

could you not double barrel it the opposite way?

• E
    Dedicated October 2022 East London
    Ebony ·
    • Hide content
    My name is triple barreled lol. My maiden name is a combination of my mother and fathers and both have significant means to me hence me not wanting to remove them. This is my professional name and for legal documents I've added my husbands name. I kept my maiden name as its part of my identity and I like it, he didn't want to take my name and u wasn't too fussed. Do what makes you happy, its a bit of an archaic tradition and if you don't want a double barrelled name or to take his then he needs to understand why.
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Do whatever works for you - if he's so worried about not having the same surname, then he can take yours. Or you can be Mrs Emma Mylastname Hislastname without double-barrelling (or Mrs Emma Hislastname Mylastname) and only use the one name for everyday. Or stay as Miss Currentsurname, or Ms Currentsurname. Or do a mix. One of my cousins married a guy whose name sounds really weird with her firstname, so they are 'Mr & Mrs Hissurname' socially and she stayed as 'Miss Hersurname' for work.

Ms was originally created so that women didn't have to give their marital status away when giving their title. I've never associated it with divorce, although obviously it is in some circles. To be honest, I think that now, it has just become another choice for women, since I know married women who call themselves 'Miss' and unmarried ones who call themselves 'Mrs' (usually those in long-term partnerships) so I don't think anyone can tell anything from a woman's title any more!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics