Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

KJHC
Beginner April 2016

Keeping maiden name at work

KJHC, 29 of November of 2015 at 13:16 Posted on Planning 0 10

Has anyone taken their OH's surname, but kept maiden name for work? I've been grappling with this since we got engaged, as I do want to have the same surname as OH, but want to retain my name in some ways as well! I don't want to double-barrel as it would be a really long name, so, think I will make my maiden name a middle name and take his surname by deed poll, but carry on with my maiden name at work.

If anyone has done this have they found it complicated?

10 replies

Latest activity by inovermyhead, 3 of December of 2015 at 09:33
  • P
    Beginner April 2016
    Pooba ·
    • Hide content

I'm actually thinking along these lines as well, especially seeing as we work in the same place and it might be weird meeting clients as a husband and wife duo!

I don't think it would be complicated as such; I'm just worried that I'm going to struggle enough remembering my new name it would just be easier to use it everywhere.

• L
    Beginner June 2016
    Lexi_K ·
    • Hide content

I work with someone who got married and changed her name but goes by her maiden name at work. I think it's fine but I would get so confused and never know who I was haha. Personal choice though!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

It should be no problem taking your husbands name but keeping to your maiden name at work. Even having your salary paid into an account that isn't your maiden name but your married name is no problem. You might want to leave everything in your maiden name at the tax office so save confusion, just let them know what you're doing.

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

We're in the process of doing the deed poll now, and I have to say, the official forms are rather confusing. OH isn't bothered about us sharing a name but I am so we've agreed to take each others, so like double barrelled but with no hyphen. I'm dropping my middle name as I never liked it anyway. At work I'll stay as my maiden name as I work in a school and all the students/staff know me by that name.

• K
    Beginner January 1999
    Kilner ·
    • Hide content

I've kept maiden name at work on emails and logins but I have changed it on official work stuff like payroll and pensions.

It can be confusing though.

• S
    Beginner December 2015
    SunnyPinkConfetti310 ·
    • Hide content

I'm keeping my name for work but using my fiance's name for everything else, and from what I can see it's quite straightforward. I need to update payroll, so my tax is in my new name, but otherwise everything at work stays the same. I've also had wording added to my new passport to say "the holder is also known as Miss S K A", just in case I'm travelling on work stuff and the name thing becomes an issue (unlikely).

I'm in the legal profession, and do deal with some unpleasant people, so my fiancé is delighted that there will be a line between my work and home lives.

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

I'm planning on keeping my maiden name for work. I much prefer my name to my OH's name and, at work, I must say it about twenty times a day. Plus I spend the majority of my time there!

I am looking forward to a more simple name in general though as people always get my surname wrong. Even the registrar spelt it wrong when they emailed my booking confirmation, resulting in me not receiving it and having to chase them up!

X

• T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tidal Wave ·
    • Hide content

I'm keeping my maiden name at work, mainly because my work email is my name, and to get it changed I think will be more of a hassle than it's worth. Payroll, and everything else will be changed though.

• KJHC
    Beginner April 2016
    KJHC ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for your replies - glad to see it seems do-able!

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

I started by doing this but realised it's way too confusing. I want one name and one signiture so I've just changed everything to my married name. I don't even like getting a bit of post in my old name now.

• I
    Beginner June 2016
    inovermyhead ·
    • Hide content

@ SunnyPinkConfetti - how did you get that line added to your passport?? I would like to keep my maiden name at work but changed everywhere else and as I also work in a legal setting was wondering how I would get round that in terms of my ID outside of work would be in my married name.....?

TIA ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics