Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner July 2015

Keeping maiden name for work purposes

MrsB2015, 3 of July of 2014 at 20:48 Posted on Planning 0 14

I work as a contractor so I move around quite a bit and get work mainly through recommendations. I have lots of linked in recommendations in my maiden name. Would it be odd to keep my maiden name for work or will it cause confusion? I just don't want to loose what I have built up by changing my name.

Any advice?

xx

14 replies

Latest activity by cymruangel, 4 of July of 2014 at 16:20
  • McFarley
    Beginner September 2014
    McFarley ·
    • Hide content

I think loads of women do this, lovely. Not odd at all and you're certainly not alone. If my current surname was my maiden name i'd be doing this, but as it is I want Mr McFarley's surname rather than my ex's Smiley smile x

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

A girl who I work with has kept her maiden name for work. I dont think its that uncommon (I could be wrong though lol)

• beccak
    Beginner September 2014
    beccak ·
    • Hide content

My business partner keeps trying to suggest that I keep my maiden name for work, but I've already decided that I'll be using my married name. I know it's only a name, but I'm the same person whether I'm at home or at work and I don't suddenly want two personas. Also, if you keep using your maiden name do you start calling yourself Mrs, or do you remain Miss? I've been booking onto various conferences for later in the year in my married name already, and generally telling people I'll be Mrs C soon so I don't really think it'll be an issue. I'll be referring to myself as Mrs C (nee K) for a while though I expect. I presume on LinkedIn you just update your name, so you don't need to create a new profile or anything.

• mustard_mitt
    Beginner September 2015
    mustard_mitt ·
    • Hide content

I plan to, but only one person I know has done so so I didn't think it was very common. I've been at my work for 7 years so it makes sense to me.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Loads of my female doctor friends do this. I have changed my name for everything, but I think I am actually in the minority amongst medics.

It's helpful to have at least one form of ID in each name, and you can get a note on your passport saying "Also known as Mrs X" to avoid confusion.

• H
    Beginner November 2014
    Hisgirl ·
    • Hide content

When I worked at the Probation Service loads of people there kept their maiden names for work. My only worry would be about payments. If your bank is in your married name but you receive a cheque (if anyone even uses them anymore) in your maiden name would the payment still go through?

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

I am not changing my name at work. To be honest l didn't want to change my name at all but compromised as it was important to my husband. A few people have been funny about it and they have all been men. I wonder how they would feel if they were told they had to change their names?!

As far as l know Hisgirl then no that wouldn't be allowed. We haven't been able to cash some of cheques which which were wedding gifts as they are made out to Mr and Mrs Married name. But the account names are Mr Married Name and Ms Maiden Name

• Arpee
    Beginner August 2016
    Arpee ·
    • Hide content

I will be keeping my maiden name for work. I'm a freelancer and have spent the last 5 years building up a good client base, lots of word of mouth and recommendations - I have a completely unique double-barrelled name (my parents both have quite unusual surnames, and I ended up with them both) which is almost part of my company identity now. No-one can spell it, but you'd definitely remember it if you heard or saw it again. I will also keep my maiden name on my business bank account if I can.

I will take my H2B's surname for personal stuff, banking, mortgage etc. I'll change to his surname on Facebook and that way none of my clients will be able to find me and add me ?

• Miss-b
    Beginner August 2016
    Miss-b ·
    • Hide content

My Auntie did just this! I don't know how common it is though. The main reason she kept her maiden name for work was because her and my Uncle run the business together and they didn't necessarily want people knowing they were a couple for business reasons. I think she found it pretty easy to use the two names though!

• cosmictrout
    Beginner August 2014
    cosmictrout ·
    • Hide content

I'm definitely keeping my name at work. One of my colleagues has done this - she changed it personally but not professionally. I am still undecided about whether to change it outside work.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

More than one account!

I have a personal account and a joint account, with separate banks. I'm pretty sure it would be possible to have the personal account in your maiden name and the joint one in your married name, so you can pay money into either, and transfer between the two if necessary.

I never write names on wedding cheques because I don't know what the couple's bank account setup is.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is what l will be doing. We are waiting for our marriage certificate to arrive.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

I know lots of people who've kept their maiden name. In fact i was the odd one out for changing my name. Simply because i'm a bit dizzy and would get confused otherwise.

I've paid in a cheque that was payable to 'married name'. Just took the marriage certificate with me. They didn't make a fuss...

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

Sorry that wasn't very clear. I paid a cheque in my married name into an account in my maiden name...

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

I'll be keeping my name at work for a bit, as I'm on a fixed term contract and it doesn't seem fair to make them reprint business cards! But when I move on, I will likely switch to my married name.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics