Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner August 2013

Kent (Thanet) people help please!

Peppr Potts, 13 July, 2012 at 13:58 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 9

Hi all!

OH and i currently live in a flat in Cliftonville (i can practically hear all you Thanet people groaning! ?) and we're looking to move into a house in a (hopefully) nicer area... we've lived here for over a year but we still don't know the area that well so any advice as to areas/streets to avoid or aim for would be really helpful... ideally we'd like something in Westgate but places don't often come up there so we'll consider Ramsgate or Broadstairs and possibly Margate.... OH works in Northdown House on Northdown Road and doesn't drive so needs somewhere easily accessible by bus or pushbike, i work at QEQM hospital but i drive so it doesn't matter too much how far away from there we live.

Any and all help/advice greatly appreciated! Thanks!

9 replies

Latest activity by Peppr Potts, 18 July, 2012 at 11:26
  • anothermrsjones
    Beginner July 2012
    anothermrsjones ·
    • Hide content

I moved to broady when I was 1 and lived there with parents until I moved out 2 years ago. Would completely recommend anywhere in Broadstairs/St Peters. The Loop goes past St Peters village centre and down through Broadstairs high street so should be easy pt wise. Ramsgate is good esp down by the viaducts but I would avoid Newington and Margate is ok but again would avoid Dane Valley. Westbrook is between Margate and Westgate and is where a lot of my friends live. On the Canterbury Road and just off it are lots of new flats and things and again the 8 goes right down that road through to Birchington (which again is nice but older and quiet).

As for living in Cliftonville, there are some nice parts so I don't think badly of you! Hope this helps! I miss the sea

ETA are you getting married down there too? Just curious ?

• P
    Beginner August 2013
    Peppr Potts ·
    • Hide content

Thanks!

I have to say i don't live in one of the nicer bits of Cliftonville but its not really from choice - we moved from Wales last year and didn't know anyone in the area so relied on the estate agent to tell us where was a decent place to live, evidently she saw the opportunity to get rid of a flat that had been up for rent for a long time and told us Cliftonville was the nicest place to live! Ah well, you live and learn!

I've just done a little driving tour around Ramsgate to find a few we've got viewings for in the next few days - why is the whole of Ramsgate like a rabbit warren!? I got so confused and all the streets are so small and cramped!! Grrr!

No we're getting married in Wales, mainly because registrar fees etc are a lot cheaper and all our family still live there ?

• P
    Beginner August 2013
    Peppr Potts ·
    • Hide content

So, update on the house situation....

I've just paid the admin fees on a property in Vale Square, Ramsgate and i'm now having a complete panic attack that we should have looked at more places/ there must be something wrong with the place/ can we really afford it/ should we really be trying to move at the same time as saving for the wedding etc. etc.

Does anybody know this area of Ramsgate? When we went to see it it seemed liked an ok area but we've only been there twice so how much can you really tell?!

• anothermrsjones
    Beginner July 2012
    anothermrsjones ·
    • Hide content

Yeah it's fine as far as I know. What makes you think it could be dodgy? Cheap flat? If you've gone for it then there would have been a reason. How long til the wedding? Haha looks like we might be swapping lives! OH is from Wales and wants to move back there asap. Whereabouts are you from?

• P
    Beginner August 2013
    Peppr Potts ·
    • Hide content

I don't necessarily think its dodgy i just always seem to end up in odd places and my impulsive side occasionally clouds my judgement on things like this! It's a nice 3 bedroom house, actually down Memel Place rather than Vale Square itself, its really unusual which is why we liked it in the first place, i'm just a born worrier!

The wedding isn't until August 14th 2013 so we've got over a year.

We're both from Cwmbran which is a small town near Cardiff, in South Wales. Where abouts is your OH from? We were thinking of moving back to Wales before the wedding but have now decided to stay put until afterwards, hence the desire for a new house!

• anothermrsjones
    Beginner July 2012
    anothermrsjones ·
    • Hide content

Ohhh well hopefully you will be fine! He's from Holyhead but my Gran lives in Aberystwyth and we are getting married there. What took you down to Thanet then? Sorry I'm really nosey! I think we are back for the last weekend of folk week. I normally work in a pub for the week but I will be on honeymoon for the first part. Have you experienced the joy of folk week before? Street drinking and morris dancing... cant beat it!

• P
    Beginner August 2013
    Peppr Potts ·
    • Hide content

Ha, that's ok i'm exactly the same, love hearing about other people's lives!

I moved for the job (i'm a nurse and when i qualified there were no jobs going in Wales) and OH followed.

We went to Folkweek last year but only for half hour or so wander through the tent/stall bit, hopefully go and do it better this year!

• Jalapeno
    Beginner October 2012
    Jalapeno ·
    • Hide content

I used to work at the Grand in Cliftonville. I can understand why you want to move Smiley winking Hope it's swift for you.

• Sparkles82
    Beginner April 2013
    Sparkles82 ·
    • Hide content

I think i've just sent you a message Peppr! If you dont get it, let me know! x

• P
    Beginner August 2013
    Peppr Potts ·
    • Hide content

I can't find anything that says i've got a message Sparkles!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics