Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner May 2012

Kids menu at a wedding

happyharp, 18 May, 2012 at 19:17 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hello,

I have 160 guests at wedding next Saturday! 27 are children. Ages ago the caterer said she would do a cheap meal option as there are so many kids. It is pasta, tomato sauce with either the choice of cheese or chicken goujons. I checked with parents and all came back said it was fine/great. But my sister has complained. She says it is a crap option, and an inferior option. She has insisted her two kids have the half size adult main which is chicken in white wine sauce. I know it's also customary to have a mini portion of the adult main but the pasta option helps me keep within budget. My sister has got page boy outfits out of this totallin 215 and her own bridesmaids dress for 215. Also, I have just lost 1000 pounds on a dress scam (which is being resolved) and last weekend she left my hen early saying her boy was in hospital with asthma (fair enough). Also, we have a house with limited rooms at the wedding venue and she is the only one refusing to stay at present because she doesn't have the one 'family room'. We have had to give this to my OH sister because she is moving house that same weekend and is staying longer in the venue (4 days) because she is between properties. My sister only has to stay one night because she is with me at my Mum's house anyway the night before because she is part of the bridal party. She is now complaining about the fact her room in this venue may need child air beds-again saying it is an inferior option.

I feel quite ashamed of my sister now. What are any one else's thoughts on the kiddies meal option and her attitude to the house.

Thanks

12 replies

Latest activity by *Mini*, 18 May, 2012 at 20:51
  • N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

House/air beds - although as a parent I'd prefera bed, I think a child would love something like this for the night because it's different and like an adventure to them (assuming the child is fairly young?)

Food - again I understand where she is coming from because children's menus are mostly a pile of crap. I feed my son whatever we eat (if he kicks up a fuss that's his problem I don't do separate meals) BUT she shouldn't be demanding these things at your wedding, especially if it's a case of budget - does she know it's for the cost factor? Can the caterer make something that sounds a bit posher?? I may completely contradict what I've said here but our venue does children's meals but decent ones...sausage and mash with veg, roast chicken etc. It will be easier to eat for little ones than our main.

• IshouldCoco
    Beginner September 2012
    IshouldCoco ·
    • Hide content

It is what it is, tell her what the menu is and ask her to choose which from the 3 *you* have offered, her kids want. Kids won't care, what child wants white wine sauce when there's chicken goujons and dips?!

You need to give plain, simple instructions as to what is on offer. If she *needs* a family room prehaps there's another hotel close by you can suggest she ring ?

• Christmas Bride 2012
    Christmas Bride 2012 ·
    • Hide content

I feel really sorry for you Smiley sad especially as you feel ashamed of her . Familys are pains in the rears and tbh you need to tell her. This is your wedding day , this is what is on offer. Like it or lump it. Its unfair she is putting such pressure on you as your sister and as you are the bride and its your big day. She's acting a bit spoilt and almost like she is jelouse ( sorry if that sounds out of order ) x

I would go ahead with the plans and tell her its unfair she is making you feel like this as her sister xxx

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I think your children's meals sound fine....i mean judging by the choices i'm sure most kids would prefer the options you have suggested rather then the chicken at least the pasta is a healthy option too...Is this just your sisters views or is it what the children said they would prefer...I know when i go out for meal with my sister and her to children (3 and 5) she always asks them what they would like from the menu and only questions their choice if she knows it was something they have had in the past and said they didn't like.

Are you restricted to having the same meal for all children? could you not just ordered half portion for them 2 if that is what they want?

As for the sleeping arrangements i would tell my sister to jog on if she not happy with them tell her she can book herself into another hotel if she wants!

• H
    Beginner May 2012
    happyharp ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for posts so far. I have just said to my sister she should pay the extra herself and she has said yes. She does know it's a budget thing but has just kept going on about it. With the rooms thing, yes, I should just probably ignore her. I agree the air beds are fun. I don't know what her problem is at the moment. I'm just frustrated because she is my sister and bridesmaid and has only really given time and support about the dresses because that is what directly affects her. Also, she has been saying I've chosen a crap inferior option and I have felt criticised. Basically, my wedding has revealed to me that my sister, although sweet and there for me on many levels, is also NOT there for me a week before the wedding. I feel a bit used and not supported.

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

If she is actually using words like 'crap' and 'inferior' I would sell her dress and tell her she's sacked ️?️

• H
    Beginner May 2012
    happyharp ·
    • Hide content

Hi Christmas Bride,

I think my sister is playing up with jealousy actually. It's just weird. She's being ***. If I say anything she will winge about me to my Mum and even a week before the wedding, amazingly to some people's amazement, they WILL have a go at me and say rubbish things. I just wanted to have a reality check about the meals because she has complained as if I'm the one making really bad decisions. Clearly I'm not.

Thanks!

• Kylie541
    Beginner February 2013
    Kylie541 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Only problem with this is other kids/guests seeing her kids have different food and asking for the same!

• Christmas Bride 2012
    Christmas Bride 2012 ·
    • Hide content

Aw Hun , I feel dead sorry for you . Nowt worse than someone being like this weeks before your wedding, anytime Is bad enough and you dont deserve it. Funny how some folk act towards weddings though tbh ... really brings the worse or best out in people :/ x hope you sort it out as she is being unfair and childish IMO xxx

• DaffyB
    Beginner June 2012
    DaffyB ·
    • Hide content

We had a similar problem. We decided that we would have a children's meal for the 8 kids who will be there. 2 of those are my cousins who are quite picky and will only eat plain floods, no sauces etc. Another 2 are H2Bs neice and nephew who are good eaters and will eat whatever they are given. The main course if roast pheasant so I don't think it's really a meal that most children would eat anyway. So we decided that the kids would have chicken nuggets, potato wedges and baked beans. The hotel that provides the food is quite posh, ie won't offer chips etc so I'm sure they'll be good quality chicken nuggets etc. But MIL2B wasn't happy that her grandkids would be eating junk food. She wanted them to have something different, I said no to this. Particularly as both sets of children will be sat on the same table and I'm not having my cousins feeling inferior for not having the posh food. One of the specifications the venue gave was that all of the kids have the same choice anyway. In the end we compromised by asking for other healthier veg to be added to the kids meal and asked for fruit to go with their ice cream for dessert.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

If its not your OH's sister its yours eh?!

I said it last week and I will again today- you need to man up and tell her what for. If you allow people to walk over you then they will.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics