Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner November 2015

Kids table?

jesikab4u, 22 of November of 2014 at 23:34 Posted on Planning 0 18

I don't have children myself yet, but we are having around 17 ish children ranging from 4 months to 12.

Would a kids table be a good? With having the young ones with their parents probably having 4-7 age range on a kids table. 8+ with the adults. How would you feel attending a wedding and your children on amother table?

we are having a village hall wedding so the space is cosey. I'm thinking it could just turn into a nightmare and possible seating all children with thier parents would be best. Which could make it difficult to have guest without children to sit away from the children.

obviously having no children myself I would not really know which is best.

has anyone attended a wedding with a kids table if so how did it work out?

thanks

18 replies

Latest activity by celticcurl, 24 of November of 2014 at 16:44
  • hellandglory
    Rockstar October 2019
    hellandglory ·
    • Hide content

Personally, i wouldn't like my kids sitting at a different table - but each to their own Smiley smile

• R
    Beginner September 2015
    RomanticBlueFlowers251 ·
    • Hide content

Well, I'm oriental so with our banquet style weddings there are always a few kids tables as the don't really eat a full 10-12 courses at weddings and usually start running around by the 4th course ?

I think a kids table would be nice as they probably would prefer hanging around with other kids.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

I personally would definitely not want a kids table (i don't have kids) if they're not being watched by their parents they could end up running riot. I made sure the children at our wedding were sat with their parents, and in some cases their grandparents or aunties and uncles. I don't think a 4yr old would cope with being away from their parents for that long?

• S
    Beginner March 2015
    Sums2b ·
    • Hide content

Hi there,

I have a 4 year old daughter and two sons 9 & 10. The boys would be ok on a table although they might mess about but my 4 years wouldn't be! She can't cut up her food, pour drinks etc and I would have to stand over her the entire time.

might be a better idea to have a colouring station or activity table they can visit once they have eaten or during speeches and leave them with their parents for the food?

Hope me this helps x

• H
    Beginner November 2014
    Hisgirl ·
    • Hide content

I don't have kids but a relative had a kids table and the parents really weren't happy about it. Both the mums at our table (both family) were taking it in turns to be with the kids which meant their own meals were disturbed. It also meant that I was helping out with the toddler who was at our table.

We have sat at tables with kids on it and to be honest, it's always been fun being silly with the kids.

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

As others have said, sit the little ones with their parents. We are having kids at our wedding and I'm planning on having a little play area, crafts, paper table cloth they can draw on and stuff like that so they have their own . Little space to go.

• AnnaMolly
    Beginner October 2015
    AnnaMolly ·
    • Hide content

I have two kids and we are having loads of kids from 0-16 at our wedding. They'll be sitting with their parents (including mine) so that they don't run riot! When kids all get together they can go a bit nuts, I'd like to save that until after we've eaten!

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

No offense but that's a increadibly stupid idea for 2 reasons

1) yes as a mother I would be offended if you sent my child to sit away from everyone like a burden and we would spent the whole time running back and forth

2) 4 - 7 you mean children in the age range of needing constant supervision... how could that possibly end well?

I know you say you dont have children so dont know but common sense really, you must of gone to school or seen a school and how children act in groups and thats with supervision

you are going to have riots, they will act up egging each other on with no supervision from there parents, you can expect food every where, fights, noise and possibly even toilet accidents with the younger ones in a place they dont know

when I clicked this I was sure it was going to be 12-18 year old you where asking about, which would still depend on them as some would like to be away from 'the old fogies' while others possibly with social anxiety might want to stick with family

why would babies and 8+ sit with parents but not the rest out of curiosity?

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    mrsh2b89 ·
    • Hide content

Wow that's a bit harsh!

I think it is a good idea but in hindsight wouldn't really work unless it was older children, you will still get the odd parent that will insist on having their children sat next to them.

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    jesikab4u ·
    • Hide content

no offense but that's a increadibly stupid idea for 2 reasons

-No offence? Find this reply a bit patronising!

I know you say you dont have children so dont know but common sense really, you must of gone to school or seen a school and how children act in groups and thats with supervision

-Not really a lack of common sense when at our family gatherings we have children that never sit at the table with us at this age range, They have their own table and it works well for us on a smaller scale.

granted this May not work on a larger scale or for other children, but this was a simple question that I do not know the answer to. So why not ask the question ?

why would babies and 8+ sit with parents but not the rest out of curiosity?

-Why would babies not sit with their parents? There are only two children 8+ would possibly be a bit boring for two children to sit on their own and felt that sitting with adults may make them feel more grown up. Curiosity satisfied?

No offence, but I think no matter how stupid you feel someone's question is an affable reply would be much more welcomed, but thanks for the advise, I guess.

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    jesikab4u ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advise ladies, it looks like the best option is to have the children eat at the tables with parents and then have a kids corner with all their entertainment in.

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

wow... someones over sensitive and a bit of a keyboard warrior lol

I was asked my opinion I gave it... believe it or not it doesn't have to be the same as yours, you should ask if you dont want answers

I also gave advice and reasoning, which coincides with almost every other commenters here so obviously general consensus and general common sense

+ no offense literally means nothing more than no offense - if you read too much into it and want to pick a fight then thats your problem not mine

• F
    Beginner September 2015
    Future*mrsP ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Everyone else's opinions were given workout being rude or patronising. Saying no offence first doesn't make calling someone stupid or telling them they have no common sense any less offensive. I happen to agree that children would be better sitting with their parents, but don't find it necessary to insult the person asking in order to make my point.

I have no intention of getting into any sort of argument about the tone you clearly wanted to get across so will not make any further comments on it, but i'm sure the OP wasn't the only one who found some comments rather rude

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    jesikab4u ·
    • Hide content

I have no problem with your opinion trust me! Everyone had the same opinion and i do not take offence to that! Upon reading everyone's comments I agree that this will be a nightmare for myself and guests.

I'm not here to have a "fight" I just think your delivery was not the way to give an opinion. We all have a different one just maybe approach it with a bit more kindness. This is ment to be a pleasant place to ask question and get advise from other members, it shouldn't matter how stupid of a question you want to ask. We should not feel spoken down to.

I did not read your comment the wrong way you can clearly see that's how you wanted it to be read. if you didn't like my reply to your comment then maybe you should check the way you approach your opinions in future. You would have not have gotten a reply like this if I had felt that your comment did not come across as rude. But thanks for the input, but let's just leave it as that now.

• A
    Beginner September 2015
    almostmrsStimpson ·
    • Hide content

I too am having a kids table for 17 kids from 4 to 10 yr old. My oldest is 8 and autistic and even he is capable of sitting away from me and eating dinner sensibly. I would like to think they can be trusted. I also wud like to think my friends and family have bought their kids up well enough to not behave like hooligans...just for a little while.

• H
    Beginner April 2015
    Helenosaurus ·
    • Hide content

I may be in for lynching too here but...we are seriously considering a kids table at our wedding. But I do plan on speaking to the parents of the younger ones to see what they say and if they would rather sit with them then that is fine too. But our reasons were multiple. First, we are having a bbq so quite informal and there will be lots of moving around and getting up etc anyway. And our table set up is basically the top table at the top with two long tables running sideways down the venue. Then, there are two smaller tables which are near our table. Our idea was to have one of the smaller tables set up for the kids. We have 7 kids [including two of our own] ranging from 2.5 to 9 or 10, and I know they will be hella giddy wherever they sit, so we thought maybe we would sit them on their own little table which we will set up with their activity packs and whatever else to keep them occupied. They are quite close at hand as the table isn't far from us, or the other table, and we thought that we would sit the parents at the end of the table nearer the kids. And if needs be, chairs can be shifted.

It is still an idea at the moment, but I fully trust them to be able to sit on their own without causing TOO much havoc. We are having loads of stuff to keep them occupied like games etc. We may well change our mind.

I don't see why it is SUCH a stupid idea. Growing up at big family meals, I remember often having tables just for us kids. Suppose it depends on the children, and how close they are to the adults, and other such factors.

• H
    Beginner April 2015
    Helenosaurus ·
    • Hide content

I may be in for lynching too here but...we are seriously considering a kids table at our wedding. But I do plan on speaking to the parents of the younger ones to see what they say and if they would rather sit with them then that is fine too. But our reasons were multiple. First, we are having a bbq so quite informal and there will be lots of moving around and getting up etc anyway. And our table set up is basically the top table at the top with two long tables running sideways down the venue. Then, there are two smaller tables which are near our table. Our idea was to have one of the smaller tables set up for the kids. We have 7 kids [including two of our own] ranging from 2.5 to 9 or 10, and I know they will be hella giddy wherever they sit, so we thought maybe we would sit them on their own little table which we will set up with their activity packs and whatever else to keep them occupied. They are quite close at hand as the table isn't far from us, or the other table, and we thought that we would sit the parents at the end of the table nearer the kids. And if needs be, chairs can be shifted.

It is still an idea at the moment, but I fully trust them to be able to sit on their own without causing TOO much havoc. We are having loads of stuff to keep them occupied like games etc. We may well change our mind.

I don't see why it is SUCH a stupid idea. Growing up at big family meals, I remember often having tables just for us kids. Suppose it depends on the children, and how close they are to the adults, and other such factors.

• S
    Beginner March 2015
    Sums2b ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it's a stupid idea and with BBQ food I think it would work well. I was only sayings my own 4 year old can't be unsupervised but she does have special needs so maybe other 4 year olds would be- my eldest child also has special needs but different kind, and he would be ok. It depends on the kids and if you know them then you are in a good place to make that call :-)

in a more formal setting I think it would be trickier, but again, depends on the kids, venue etc.

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

I'm having a kids table for those aged 8-14. the younger children will be sat with their parents. for those on the kids table, I will be checking with the parents first - those I've spoken to so far are in favour of the idea, but I know all the kids well and know they will be fine.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics