Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner November 2012

Kids table at wedding breakfast ...good idea or not??

MrsMtobee, 4 of September of 2012 at 01:55 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi

This is my first post and could really do with some opinions.

We have lots of children coming to our wedding (27 so far and have not had all RSVPs back yet)

Most of our guests have young children but there are a few who don't and I know a handful of them won't want to be sat at a table with children. We are Finding it really difficult to arrange a seating plan to keep everyone happy!

Without having a 'kids table' it will be impossible to seat all our 'child free' guests at adult only tables but then I'm worried that a table with possibly 34 children (between 3 & 11) and no adults could be a complete disaster!

Between me & my fiancé we have 5 children so I know that 34 children are not going to sit in perfect silence & eat their meal with perfect behaviour, expecting that would be unrealistic (and it doesn't bother me...I love seeing kids being kids)

We have lots of entertainment, crafts & games etc for the kids but are totally stuck on how to seat them at the meal..

Do we have one big kids table and just pray it doesn't end in disaster or set up a table with crafts etc in the kids room and seat them with parents to eat their food but let them do their own thing before/after eating?

Would really appreciateSo input and hopefully an opinion from someone who doesn't have children on how you would feel if you were seated at a table with possibly 4 young children??

Sorry for the long post

S x

13 replies

Latest activity by LEN11212, 5 of September of 2012 at 18:49
  • Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

I think a kids table with that amount and variation in ages is asking for trouble. I'm sure people wouldn't mind children being at the table, they are expected at wedddings afterall.Likelihood is its just for the actual meal as they'll be off playing before/after.

• L
    Beginner September 2012
    LeicesterBride ·
    • Hide content

We have a similar number of children coming and we're sitting them on a separate table. Those aged 0-2 will be in highchairs at their parents table, those 2-8 will be on their own table with goodie/activity bags and 4 girls from the local nursery that my children attend (we're paying them £50 each for 4 hrs to cover welcome drinks and canapés and the meal), and we're having 8-16 yr olds on their own table, too, as we thought this was quite grown up for them.

Its a village hall reception with a hot buffet meal. Im not sure if that makes a difference, but the whole thing will (hopefully) feel quite relaxed so if children are up and down to their parents then do be it, but nursery staff will encourage children to play together away from parents (there's a nice garden too if the weather holds!).

We get married on 15th sept (eek!!) so will let you know in a couple of weeks whether or not it works!!

LB x

• Hypnopoison
    Beginner September 2012
    Hypnopoison ·
    • Hide content

To be honest, I would be a guest without children and I wouldn't be very keen on sitting next to a child at all. It would maje me feel very on edge and I wouldnt be able to relax. I would recommend it could be advisable to make sure that they aren't sat on a table with anyone who doesn't have children. Keep the families together might help.

I haven't invited any children to ours (only my neice who is a flower girl), as otherwise there would be so many children which would add to the numbers and the cost too much.

• Pink Han-bag
    Beginner March 2013
    Pink Han-bag ·
    • Hide content

My son is 3, he wouldn't sit on his own with other kids I don't think and for something like that I'd like to sit with him so we can make sure he actually eats his food and we don't have a meltdown later because he's hungry.

We're only having 4 children plus a baby there so it's easier to seat them and we can still have some adult only tables for our friends.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I would sit them with their parent(s) so in theory their parents should ensure their children behave and maybe sit the children between both sets of parents (If both sets of parents attending) so any childless guests are not sitting directly next to any children and place which should be less irritating for anyone not used to dinner time with young children.

• rachel2012
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content

We have got about 12 kids coming and are having a couple of kids table, we are putting them in a slightly different room (it is 2 rooms joined together, with doors that separate them that will be open) We have got kids packs, with pots of crayons and also giving them mags, saying that the kids are a little older with only one being 2 and the rest being from 5-13 years old so know how to behave.

The room that they are in they will have loads of room to run around with out getting in the way of the staff/disturbing the non children dress, so for us it was the perfect solution.

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

We were hoping to have a kids table as there's not many, but one of my cousins has a daughter with aspergers and she wouldn't be at all happy sitting with just kids, some of whom she doesn't know, away from her mum. Kids will now be sat with parents, hopefully all on one table. Personally, I love kids and being the only adult on a table full of kids would be fine with me! OH, however, can't stand other people's kids for long so would not be impressed at sharing a table. If there were other non-parents on the table that he knew and was sitting next to he wouldn't mind so much as long as he didn't have to sit next to the kids so they couldn't spill stuff on him.

• Sloth
    Sloth ·
    • Hide content

Hire one of the babysitting companies to keep them all in one place and eating??

Though with that many kids at the wedding I wouldn't worry about those without kids as there is going to be kids everywhere. Embrace it - it will be great and fun (and loud). With 5 between you two they cannot be expecting anything else.

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

I only had 3 kids at my wedding, my nephew who is 9 sat with his parents and the flowergirl and page boy 2&5 also sat with their parents, even tho most of my friends have kids i didnt want any kids at our wedding except the mentioned 3... ideally in my little world id rather sit on an 'adult' table only and all unruly kids should be in another room running amok lol .. how about you do like the other poster said about dividing them up in their age ranges and then get them to host their own tables or make them sit inbetween their parents.. .. at the end of the day its a privelige to be asked to someones wedding so i dont mind where im sat ?

• I
    Beginner March 2013
    icklelea ·
    • Hide content

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I'm not a fan of kids at weddings, so as a child-free guest, I'd rather not have to sit next to kids, but of course I wouldn't complain if that was your only way of doing it. H's brother is the only one of the 4 brothers with kids and we once had a table of 4 brothers, plus 4 wives/girlfriends plus the 2 kids, which was fine because we knew them.

I've also been to a wedding where those with kids (there were only under 5's there) had a table of their own, in the corner, with floor games and toys.

If budget allows, I like the idea of hiring local nursery staff to entertain the kids, but I think leaving young kids by themselves is just asking for trouble. Of course, some will be perfectly behaved but there's always the odd one!

• Indiefluff
    Beginner August 2013
    Indiefluff ·
    • Hide content

Firstly, when I was 16 I considered myself grown up and would've hated being sat at the kiddie table.

Second, I'm not a parent so would prefer to not sit with children, unless i know the parents. But of course I would never complain if I was sat with kids. I think separate kiddie tables are a better idea as you've already got qualified people to look after them.

• L
    Beginner December 2012
    LEN11212 ·
    • Hide content

As a childless couple, I personally would find it really weird if we were sat at a table with people who we did not know who had kids. But I would think nothing of it if we were sat at a table with friends and their children.

If guests don't know that many others there I think ideally you should be seating them with likeminded people who are going to have something in common. It would not be that easy to make small talk with people who are busy feeding their kids or stopping them misbehaving.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics