Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2015

Kilt Help

Sam18sgc, 19 of September of 2014 at 11:49 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hello

Looking for some advise about Kilts.

My other half has his own kilt in his family tartan that he will be wearing for our wedding, however it is not a standard tartan so it would be extremely expensive to source it for other members of the wedding party.

He is at the moment having one best man, and potentially an usher or something similar.

There will also be my dad and his dad at the top table.

Should we be looking to choose one kilt and have everyone bar my OH in it? Or should we let people wear their own if they have their own? This would mean they wouldnt all match of course.

Also, who traditionally would all wear the same kilt? Would the father of the bride wear his own tartan or the same as the best man? And what about the father of the groom?

Thank you in advance for any advise/opinions Smiley smile

8 replies

Latest activity by Kwal, 21 of September of 2014 at 02:41
  • Barnett2015
    Beginner April 2015
    Barnett2015 ·
    • Hide content

My dad is scottish and his own family tartan, which is my surname too(but not for that much longer...!). He is wearing his kilt and i have asked H2B if he would like to wear a matching tie. I appreciate it sounds a bit garish but the family tartan is fairly muted blues and greens, H2B has a grey suit and i personally think it will be quite smart.

Is that a possible way you could incorporate the family tartan without worrying about cost/people matching too much?

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Do the other people mentioned want to wear kilts? Or is thst up in the air as you haven't chosen the BM/usher yet? Do any of them already own kilts, albeit non-matching ones? You gotta work out the cost/practicality ratio here.

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

I think that if they have their own tartans and their own kilts, then it is really nice for them to be able to wear them, as I am sure they would do so with pride.

I'd rather people wore something that truly means something, especially as you don't get much more "family" than a wedding, so the wearing of family tartans is truly an appropriate way of bringing everyone together, than having people in matching kilts that don't mean anything but make the photos look "nicer".

If they have their own kilts already, it will also save you a fair bit on hiring/buying additional outfits.

• Pipsybus
    Beginner June 2015
    Pipsybus ·
    • Hide content

Ooh I love a man in a kilt!

My brother has his own and will be wearing it to my wedding. My H2B is English and has no Scottish connections (apart from me!) so he'll be wearing a suit. His BM is half Scottish and is in the process of buying his own kilt which I'm so excited about. But as for whether the tartans will match - I seriously hope not as I think it looks a little too put together. My Scotish cousins usually hire kilts for weddings and we have a mixture of tartans on the go at once and it's amazing! Any guest can wear a kilt if they want to.

With regards to the bridal party - if they have their own I'm sure they'd like to wear it. A wedding is the perfect place for it and they're so expensive to buy that any excuse to get it on is a must. If they don't own one but are happy to wear one then I guess if you're paying for it you can ask them all to wear the same if that's what you'd like. If they're paying then I'm sure they'd like to wear their family tartan. I love kilts so maybe not everyone feels like this but I'd have as many men wear them as are willing!

.....I think I've lived I'm England too long! I'm getting a little 'kilt happy' here!!! ?

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

Generally you wear the tartan of your family surname, it's worth checking with a good kilt hire shop they have hundreds!

The other option is to use a similar tartan as in same colours - I have been to weddings where they have had matching tartans and one's where they follow the surname.

I've not seen father of the bride wearing a kilt if he's not scottish and has his own tartan.

• K
    Beginner November 2014
    Kwal ·
    • Hide content

I think either or would be absolutely fine to be honest!! I think if there's going to be at least 2 tartans within the wedding party it might be nice to have them all different? My OH friends wedding they had this and it looked lovely having them all different! X

• lilbeth
    Beginner July 2015
    lilbeth ·
    • Hide content

Hey,

I'm in the exact same position as you. My OH is buying kilts for himself, brother(best man), Dad and nephew as they are the people in his family who have the same surname. Again it will be expensive but it's what he wants to do so it's his decision. As the tartan isn't available for hire he needs to buy.

The 2 ushers are my family and are English they both want to wear kilts so they will hire flower of Scotland tartan which looks a little similar to OHs.

Everyone else can wear what they like! Lots of the scots will have their own kilts or they can hire. I think to get everyone in the same would be a massive headache. Unless you can all hire- to buy would cost a bomb!!

Good luck!!

• K
    Beginner May 2015
    KLP ·
    • Hide content

My OH is Scottish and has his own kilt which he is obv wearing (yay he looks good in a kilt!). He has far too many best men (a different rant!) and he insists they will allwear their own kilt so no doubt will be all colours but I see his point. The only thing I want is for them to have matching cravattes/ties/whatever and maybe same colour socks. This sounds a bit OCD but I saw a wedding with kilts and one of the men in wedding party had black socks on and the rest had cream and it just stuck out a wee bit and was the focus of the pic....maybe this is just me being a bit crazy!!

• K
    Beginner November 2014
    Kwal ·
    • Hide content

Def agree that that the socks should be the same colour!! Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics