Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

RogueSnowflake
Beginner July 2015

Kilts - does the carpet match the drapes?

RogueSnowflake, 9 of March of 2015 at 11:00 Posted on Planning 0 5

Haha, well what I mean is, does the tartan of the kilt have to match the tie?

Our wedding colour is pale blue and my Scottish fiance does not have his own family tartan. So the easiest thing to do would be to pick a tartan that has a pale blue in it, right?

Except we wanted the groomsmen to wear their own kilts, and we hire the jackets and extras. So they will have pale blue tie and lord knows what down below.

Will this look silly? It will cost the same to hire kilts as just hiring the jackets, so we could just hire all the same kilt. But then the groom won't stand out.

I think it will be pretty obvious to me which one to marry, though I won't be wearing my specs!

Any brides out there with a groom wearing a family tartan - have you tied your wedding colours in with the tartan?

5 replies

Latest activity by lilbeth, 9 of March of 2015 at 16:58
  • teafortwo
    Beginner July 2015
    teafortwo ·
    • Hide content

Haha, I joke that my OH is wearing a different coloured tie and waistcoat so I know which one I'm marrying!

I don't have any personal experience with this. However, I think if the groom doesn't have a family tartan then find him one with hints of pale blue through it and then let the groomsmen wear their own. I personally love the idea of them wearing their own family tartan and they could still match by wearing the same shirt, jacket and tie?

I see your point about it being the same cost though.

Sorry I'm not of more help!

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

If your OH is scottish perhaps he can choose a tartan from a historic family clan?

My OH is wearing his clan tartan. He's having a best woman and no groomsmen so the tying it all in doesn't apply.

I think blue ties may or may not look odd depending on the tartans his groomsmen are wearing - I do think they should wear their own tartans if they have them. Perhaps the simplest way of identifying them as part of the bridal party is by special buttonholes? Don't allow the colour matching obsession to take over - it really isn't that important.

• T
    Beginner September 2015
    tash&ste ·
    • Hide content

Lol, me and my chap had a little disagreement over this! When I purchased my daughters gold bridesmaid dress I asked him if he would be happy to wear a cravat/tie to match, but he insisted he had to wear something that matched his family's tartan (he suggested green). We have navy blues and golds, so a green cravat seems odd to me, despite it matching the colours in his kilt. He has purpley/dark blues in his tartan too, so I'd prefer a navy cravat (at least then it blends in with our navy/gold colour scheme!)

I'm just leaving him to it as he's a stubborn so and so.

• RogueSnowflake
    Beginner July 2015
    RogueSnowflake ·
    • Hide content

Thanks guys, this is helpful. I have peeked at the real weddings on here and a lot of kilt-men wear black bow ties. That's nice as an option, but think it could get a bit dark. It's a summer wedding after all.

Alas he is not affiliated with any clan as such. I think his grandmother was a Campbell, though. Unfortunately we are limited by Slaters options! Kilt hire in England is limited. One salesman even suggested to us that Scotland was not part of the UK, and so we would have to pay to get the kilt shipped in!!

• M
    Beginner October 2015
    MrsRoughToBe ·
    • Hide content

My OH has a green tartan kilt which does not go in the slightest with my burgundy colour scheme. However, I think making sure the groom stands out is important, as we are encouraging all the men to wear their clan tartans or something different to show a union of different clans in the wedding.

Dont worry about tying it in with your colour scheme, it is one of these relatively minor squibbles you will realise doesnt make a difference after the wedding!!!!

• lilbeth
    Beginner July 2015
    lilbeth ·
    • Hide content

We picked a colour from the tartan for the tie colour. The groom and best man are going for their family tartan which has the same colour blue in it then the ushers (English) are going to wear the same shade of blue for their tie.

OH is going to wear anything different, which I know is a bit odd but he didn't want to be different and I kind of assume after the wedding they will have worked out who the groom is.

If kilts are the same price as no kilts you could always go for the flower of Scotland kilt, it is a nice light blue and isn't tied to a particular family.

Alternatively maybe just go for the same colour as your bridesmaid/ theme colour so they all match something! I don't know if any of them have a similar colour in the tartans that you could match?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics