Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsShep
Beginner September 2014

Kinda OT, Gypsy Matchmaker

MrsShep, 7 of September of 2014 at 14:01 Posted on Planning 0 6

Did anyone else watch this? I've just watched it, and can't get my head around trying to marry your kids off at 13yrs old.

6 replies

Latest activity by MrsShep, 8 of September of 2014 at 21:44
  • ClaireyLou85
    Beginner July 2016
    ClaireyLou85 ·
    • Hide content

It's a cultural thing - to us it's insane, but the Gypsy community it's just the way they have always done things.

Honestly, though, most of those girls spend their entire life planning their wedding as it's their day as a princess. Once that is gone, the reality of life sets in, and I do not envy any of them for a second. Smiley sad

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

This was about Roma gypsies though right? That 'giant princess dress' stereotype is based on Irish travellers. Roma gypsies have a culture of modesty, or that's my experience from being friends with someone from a Roma background.

• ClaireyLou85
    Beginner July 2016
    ClaireyLou85 ·
    • Hide content

The only ones I have had contact with are the 'giant princess dress' ones.

Just looked up the program and it is about the Roma rather than the Irish. Might give it a watch, but looking at the blurb - "In Rotherham, Huko is responsible for a large clan, including a pregnant 14-year-old girl living in an unlawful marriage with Huko's nephew. It's not long before the police and social services come knocking at the door with child protection concerns.".

Yeah... I don't think we're looking at anything much more informative than 'Benefits Street' was... ¬_¬ x

• ClaireyLou85
    Beginner July 2016
    ClaireyLou85 ·
    • Hide content

Three minutes in and one of the lines was "If I steal, we eat, if I do not steal, we do not eat."

Oh, and the police are looking for the pregnant 14 year old because she hasn't been to health checks - and the family are hiding her.

Yeah..... Impartial.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, it was the roma gypsies. It was channel 4, never very impartial.

• ClaireyLou85
    Beginner July 2016
    ClaireyLou85 ·
    • Hide content

Well, I watched it through - to be frank it's utter tosh.

Maybe they should have concentrated more on the family that REFUSED to marry off their teenage daughter because they want her to have an education. That is the kind of story I want to see!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, that was good to see. A few hundred years ago we used to marry young and die young, we don't need to do that anymore. Kids should be allowed to have a childhood

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics