Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kittylove
Beginner August 2015

Kittylove Wedding Report

Kittylove, 18 of August of 2015 at 20:21 Posted on Planning 0 34

This is going to be a really long one. With loads of pictures, I just can't bare to leave any part out. Please bare with me.

How we met.

My OH and I met online. I had tried online dating before and had given it up as in my experience, they were all weirdos. But one fateful bored night when all my friends were busy and there was nothing on telly I logged back on, not particularly hopeful, but thought it would waste a bit of time and relieve my boredom. Then I spotted a gem, and he spotted me. According to his profile he liked cats and women with green eyes, one of his pictures was him driving a smart roadster. I have green eyes, two cats and drive a smart roadster. We chatted for a while and eventually after a couple of months the "shall we meet?" question was raised.

Our first date

It was terrible, mostly. We arranged to meet in Cambridge, I got there and he was nowhere to be seen. After waiting around for about 15mins I gave up and went shopping. I was in a foul mood and wasn't enjoying the shops so decided to go home, now almost an hour after we arranged to meet. Walking back to the car, there he was. Apparently he got stuck in roadworks. I reluctantly agreed to go ahead with the date, although in the back of my mind had already written him off. He got the picnic from his car and we headed to the river. He'd booked a guided punt on the river. When we got there he realised he forgotten his wallet, so left me sitting on the side of the river while he ran back to the car. Luckily it was there. By the time the punt started I was furious with him and ignored him the whole time and chatted to the man doing the punting. OH opened the wine, or tried to, the cork broke off in the bottle. So he spent most of the boat ride wrestling with a bottle of wine while I was flirting with another man. At the end of the punt the heavens opened. It was one of those summer storms that come from nowhere and it rained so hard it was like water was being poured constantly from the sky. We ended up sheltering on the veranda of a hut in the closest park. We ate the picnic, finally got into the wine and spent hours chatting waiting for the rain to clear. If it wasn't for that rain, I probably wouldn't be writing this.

The Proposal

Four years on from that fateful day, well 3 years and 364 days technically, we went to Paradise Wildlife Park. As my anniversary present he had arranged for me to feed a white lion. What I didn't know was what he had planned to do while I was feeding the lion. Feeding the lions was amazing, I was actually hand feeding them, picking up lumps of slimed raw meat, and then holding them up for the lion to take and getting covered in lion saliva.

Then half way through, he handed the camera to the keeper and dropped to one knee. I think I squealed something about "are you doing what I think you are?". I think I said yes before he even finished asking, he then produced a ring box. Which contained the most amazing fake diamond ring, turns out it is a napkin ring. I burst out laughing, and loved him even more.

He had picked the ring, but as it is rather unusual he wanted to check I liked it before ordering it. He needn't have worried, the ring he picked was amazing. I was actually really glad he didn't produce the real ring as it would have gotten meat and lion saliva all over it. Once we finished feeding the lions, and washed our hands, they took us to the tiger cafe which overlooks the tiger enclosure, they had closed it early just for us to enjoy a bottle of champagne. I was smiling from ear to ear and Steve took the time to send the "she said yes" message out to our friend who knew what was planned. After calling our parents we went home to find said friend had decorated the house, and put a magnum of champagne in the fridge.

34 replies

Latest activity by Superhanka, 20 of August of 2015 at 23:02
  • L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

More please!!

• Kittylove
    Beginner August 2015
    Kittylove ·
    • Hide content

The wedding.

On 9 August, 5 years and 2 days after that first terrible date we got married at Woodhall Manor. It was amazing.

The day before

I spent the day before not knowing what to do with myself. We dropped all the decorations off at the venue in the morning. I took my cats to the cattery and then spent the rest of the day packing my bags, checking the bag, rechecking the bag. Everything was done, it was too late if it hadn't been. I finally went and had a bath with the intention of spending a few hours pampering myself and relaxing. As I got out the bath I somehow managed to twist funny, and shooting pains went straight up and down my back. I put my back out. At 4:30 pm the day before my wedding I couldn't even walk, let alone finish pampering myself. OH was dispatched to chemist and came back with an ice pack to use immediately to help stop the swelling and heat packs to use after that to help the pain, Ibuprofen gel and pills. OH was dispatched to his hotel so my mum and I could get the dress out and steam it, and pack all my stuff for the morning that he wasn't allowed to see. Easier said than done when it hurts to move. Luckily the ice did the trick and stopped it getting any worse and after a couple of hours I could walk, however was still in pain.

We met back up with OH for a lovely dinner and a drink before saying our goodbyes.

The morning.

My best friend was collecting me and my mum at 8am so we had plenty of time to pack the car up and get to the venue for 9am. I was up by 7am after not much sleep. My back was a lot better, was still painful. I had some breakfast and a cup of tea and then went to get washed and dressed. At this point it became apparent that my stepdad had assumed I was already washed and dressed and had taken up residence in the bathroom for the long hall. My friend turned up and I was still in my dressing gown. We managed to kick him out the bathroom and I had the fastest shower ever, luckily I wasn't washing my hair.

Car packed and off to the venue to get ready. I drove my own car there, as I wanted some photos with it, it was one of the reasons I even spoke to OH on line afterall. One of my friends had spent the whole of the day before polishing it up for me so it would look fantastic in the photos. I find driving really calming so it was quite nice having that 25 mins on my own driving with my music turned up singing my head off.

Makeup and hair followed for both me my mum and my best friend. Half way through my hair a present was brought in for me from OH. As I opened it up I couldn't believe what it was and very nearly cried. OH had had an Our Adventure Book made just like the one from UP. Even complete with a grape soda badge. I love that film, we did think about having the music in our ceremony, but I was worried it would make us cry. OH cried like a baby first time he saw it.

Then my bouquet was delivered. It was perfect and really beautiful. I love purple so wanted that as my main colour, but yellow roses have a special place in our family. My brother died when I was a child and he was buried with a single yellow rose. Since then yellow roses have always been used as a way to remember him. Both me and my mum have yellow rose bushes in our gardens. Luckily dark purple and yellow go really well together so I had both in my bouquet and the table decorations. Button holes where yellow roses.

I had brought a heat wrap I could wear under my dress for my back if need be, but by the time it came to putting the dress on excitement had taken over it didn't hurt anymore. I completely forgot about my back until I eventually tried to go to sleep that night.

• Kittylove
    Beginner August 2015
    Kittylove ·
    • Hide content

Sorry guys, the photos are taking forever to load up.

The ceremony

The weather was amazing, clear blue skies and hot, my God was it hot. Our ceremony was being held outside, so our guests were sat in the sun. Our venue very kindly provided a whole heap of white umbrellas for the guests to use to give them a bit of shade. This was a really nice, very much appreciated touch.

So dress on, bouquet in hand it was time for my step dad to walk me down the aisle.

I walked down to You make my dreams, an acoustic version sang by Alex Grace. The rest of the world faded away and all I could see was OH waiting for me. I planned a slow walk, but think I got carried away, I couldn't get there quick enough. Our vows were said I can't remember what we actually said. We had two readings, the first Bob Marley, he's not perfect, a regular appearance on the forum. The second was Nancy Brillant, we're so lucky to have found each other.

"Once in a lifetime you find someone who touches not only your heart, but also your soul.

Once in a lifetime you discover someone who stands beside you, not over you.

You find someone who loves you for who you are, and not who you could be.

Once in a lifetime you find someone, as you have found each other."

Rings exchanged we were pronounced husband and wife.

Due to my rather unusual engagement ring we had a wedding ring made to fit around it. OH also wanted his shaped so it reflected the shape of mine so they were a matching pair.

• Kittylove
    Beginner August 2015
    Kittylove ·
    • Hide content

The party

The main thing we wanted our wedding to be was fun and relaxed. We had a couple of hours between the ceremony and the wedding breakfast. We had croquet, jenga, quoits, boules and skittles set up on the lawn. Bucks Fizz and canapés were served to keep people being going. We were supposed to have our photos taken during the drinks reception, but due to the strength of the sun, the photographer suggested waiting until after the wedding breakfast in the hope that we would get a bit of cloud cover, and it would cool down a little. We did the group photos and then had the whole time to mingle with guests and catch up with people who we hadn't seen for a while. It was lovely and relaxed.

We couldn't have confetti so we bought loads of bubbles and had a bubble confetti shot.

I made most of the decorations for the banquet room myself, I never flashed any of them before as I wasn't totally sure I really liked all of them when I made them, however when I got to see the room before everyone went to eat I was so pleased. Issy, our coordinator, also commented on how great some of them looked.

Our table centrepieces were vases I found on Lightinthebox and we ended up giving them all out to guests at the end of the wedding. I have a couple left for us although OHs mum was sneaky and took two sets before anyone else had a chance. She asked and I said I wasn't sure there would be enough, but by the time I got to breakfast the next day two sets were already packed in her car. OH has suggested if we need another set it will be easier to order them from China that to get them back from her.

The meal was fantastic, but I just couldn't eat it. I had a taste of everything, and managed to eat the Sticky Toffee Pudding, but generally just couldn't eat. OH forced me to eat some of the buffet later in the evening as he was worried I hadn't had enough to eat.

My mum gave the "father of the bride" speech. It was lovely and touching. It briefly mentioned my brother, at which point a tissue was passed to me by one of my friends, but I held it together, as did she, just about. OH gave a great speech, in which he mentioned the terrible first date, but how he knew that day, that he was going to fall in love with me, and how I was understandably not so sure.

OHs dad also gave a speech, we didn't have a best man so his was in place of the best man speech. He didn't want to do it, but he agreed for OH. He actually did really well and it was nice to have someone stand up and be so nice about my husband. I actually managed to keep my mouth shut, which surprised everyone a little.

• Kittylove
    Beginner August 2015
    Kittylove ·
    • Hide content

The ducks

At our initial meeting with the venue we were discussing garden games and one of the ladies suggested hook a duck. Well we dismissed that idea (partly as we didn't want to do prizes) but it got me thinking. The walled garden where our ceremony was held has a lovely fountain in the middle of it, we have seen real ducks in it when visiting the venue. As our colour scheme was purple and yellow I did a bit of Amazon searching and found some really cheap little yellow rubber ducks. We checked with the venue that it was ok and order about 65 rubber ducks, it only cost just over a tenner. So during the wedding breakfast the venue staff set about filling the fountain with the ducks.

Apparently they all thought it was great. One of our waiters actually said how great they looked while he was serving us. All the garden games were also moved into the garden for use as well.

So guests came out to find all these ducks floating in the fountain

The games set up to play and the final surprise was the caricaturist we hired to draw the wedding favours.

The next few hours involved people slowly fishing out the ducks, the croquet mallets proved very handy for this.

They were in wine coolers, glasses, they being used instead of croquet balls, and playing boules with.

We even found people playing chess with them in the house bar later that night. A lot of them found their way into handbags and pockets, luckily there were plenty for everyone. We still came home with about half of them. They will be going on honeymoon with us and probably every other holiday we take in our lives.

• Kittylove
    Beginner August 2015
    Kittylove ·
    • Hide content

With no sign of any cloud coming, we eventually took our couple photos with the photographer, safe in the knowledge our guests were suitably entertained.

Before we knew it the evening guests had arrived and we were being told it was time to cut the cake and do our first dance. We chose John Legend, All of Me. I particularly love the first line, "What would I do without your smart mouth" my big mouth and smart comments have been known to get me in trouble in the past so it seemed right. We had a choreographed dance with the help of the dance teacher who used to teach us salsa dancing when we first got together. But we hadn't had a chance to practice for quite a few days and it went a bit wobbly at the start, but then we got over our nerves and the rest went well. We got a big whoop for our finale, no dirty dancing style lift or anything that flash.

Then the band came on, we danced, we drank, and before I knew it the evening was over and people were heading home. We took a bottle of Prosecco up to our room, filled the giant jacuzzi bath and talked over the day. We opened some cards and presents and read through our guest book. I know people say that guest books don't get filled in but every page on ours was full. Even the inside of the back cover was full.

I think we eventually went to bed about 4am. I just didn't want the day to end.

The day after

We had breakfast, not that I could eat much again, packed everything up in the cars and went home. Where I very quickly became an emotional wreck. The day went so perfectly and every time I thought about it I welled up with happy tears. We re-read the guest book and the cards, as we were a bit squiffy the first time round. I also insisted on watching UP later that day, which if you are feeling emotional is a very risky thing to do.

All in all it was an amazing day, and the start of what I'm sure will be an amazing life together. I really couldn't be happier.

• hollyhollytree
    Beginner September 2016
    hollyhollytree ·
    • Hide content

Oh what a lovely post. You look beautiful and your photos are wonderful! Congratulations xxx

• Mrs.K2b
    Beginner August 2015
    Mrs.K2b ·
    • Hide content

Love it all kitty, and well done you for doing your report so quick!! Still love the rubber ducks, and congratulations once again, your wedding is beautiful!

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

Brilliant report. What a fantastic day!

Glorious weather & love those rubber duckies!

• Mrslh2b
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrslh2b ·
    • Hide content

Ahhh this is all so lovely - the up book, the ducks, the flowers, everything! Congratulations x

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

This is a brilliant report. It genuinely made me quite emotional. Congratulations x

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

Beautiful report, looks like an amazing day Smiley smile Congratulations!

• N
    Beginner January 2016
    NoMoore ·
    • Hide content

Your report is fabulous and I love the ducks! What an amazing day. Congratulations x

• P
    Beginner April 2016
    Pooba ·
    • Hide content

It looked absolutely wonderful! Congratulations!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

What a lovely day. You made me well up lol x

• CornishBride89
    Beginner October 2015
    CornishBride89 ·
    • Hide content

Awwww that is such a beautiful wedding report! ?

It all looks like it was so wonderful!

• jadeee
    Beginner June 2016
    jadeee ·
    • Hide content

Such a lovely report, it looks like you had an amazing day! I love the film UP, the gift your OH got you is brilliant ?

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

Aw, I LOVE this report! Your description of your first date really made me laugh (sorry!) and your happy face after he proposed is just lovely. I feel all mushy.

I love that you drove yourself and had that time to sing and relax and get excited. I cried at your adventure book, it's amazing- what an incredibly thoughtful gift. ❤️ I love the flowers, especially the nod to your brother. Very sweet. I love your dress, and you look so beautiful in it. The decorations looked brilliant, well done you. Your rings are really unique, love that your OH got a shaped one to match- can you flash your ER please?!

The ducks in the fountain thing is amazing. Too funny.

I really loved your report. What a lovely start to married life. xx

• MrsStanleyToBe
    Beginner January 2019
    MrsStanleyToBe ·
    • Hide content

Awww what a beautiful report and what looks like a beautiful day, congratulations you both look so very happy x

• Lui
    Beginner October 2015
    Lui ·
    • Hide content

It all looks so stunning!!

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Love this report!! Your first date story is brilliant! Looks like you had an amazing wedding, your pics are lovely and the ducks are great!

• A
    Beginner May 2016
    Arabella16 ·
    • Hide content

Awwww that sounds amazing!! Love it all!! And the proposal was so unique! Your dress and flowers are beautiful, all looks so lovely together, what a great report!

Was going to ask, do you have any idea where the Up book was ordered from? We also love that film (OH proposed at the waterfall the film is based on), and I ordered a book from an etsy seller but was a bit disappointed :-( but your one looks AMAZING so would love to know where it came from if you would be happy to share :-) completely understand if not though xx

• S
    Beginner October 2015
    Stephie ·
    • Hide content

What a really lovely report! I enjoyed that ? your pics are so beautiful as well, you looked so happy!

Congratulations to you both xx

• S
    Beginner October 2015
    Stephie ·
    • Hide content

What a really lovely report! I enjoyed that ? your pics are so beautiful as well, you looked so happy!

Congratulations to you both xx

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Oh, I think this is one of my favourite reports ever! Thank goodness for awful British weather! Smiley laugh I love the proposal ring, bless him! So adorable that he had his wedding ring shaped to match yours, I agree with Nimsay, we definitely need a flash of your rings now! I think you might be in contention for the wedding people would most liked to have attend award when the hitched awards come round. Can't believe you weren't sure about those decorations, they're absolutely gorgeous. As are the ones you bought, I'm not surprised mum in law snuck a couple away, I would have too Smiley smile

You looked gorgeous, your day sounded gorgeous (in fact your whole love story does) congratulations! x

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

Brilliant report. What a fantastic day!

Glorious weather & love those rubber duckies!

• 2BMrsC
    Beginner May 2017
    2BMrsC ·
    • Hide content

Fantastic report! Had me welling up several times, thank you so much for sharing your very special day with us all ?

• Kittylove
    Beginner August 2015
    Kittylove ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for all your lovely comments. I really loved writing the report.

I showed OH the report and he says he will look up where he got the UP book from. He wouldn't tell me earlier, I don't think he believed me that I was actually being asked.

as requested here is a flash of ER on its own.

And a picture of my rings together.

• Arpee
    Beginner August 2016
    Arpee ·
    • Hide content

I love this. Just completely love it. What a fab story, and a great report, so many lovely thoughtful touches! Gorgeous decs! I'd like a tutorial on those paper hearts please ? And WOW your rings are stunning!!! I love the ducks, and the Up book, and your photos are just gorgeous.

Many congratulations to you and your H, I hope you have a very long and happy life together ❤️

• A
    Beginner May 2016
    Arabella16 ·
    • Hide content

Wow your rings are gorgeous :-) love how unique they are and how they fit together. That's so cute with your OHs one also fitting with yours, such a lovely idea!

Aww thank you so much for asking him, I really do appreciate it as its so beautiful and so much nicer than anything I had seen or the one I have. Thank you! If he doesn't want you do know I can PM you my email address for him incase he doesn't want you to have the details :-) thank you so much again for asking Smiley heart xx

• Arpee
    Beginner August 2016
    Arpee ·
    • Hide content

I too would love to know where he got the Adventure Book from! Up is almost a standing joke for us, in that it took us a few goes to get past the first heartbreaking ten minutes and watch it properly. Plus I share my name with Carl's wife (not writing it here, attempting to maintain some anonymity!), so it would be the perfect gift for me to give my H2B Smiley smile

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

LOVE the rings!!! Thanks for the flashes. I totally want to be your bestie now, your wedding looked amazing!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics