Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

kelly29
Beginner May 2009

Kuredu Resort, Maldives

kelly29, 21 of May of 2009 at 20:46 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0 7

Just for ashmegdj, here's my honeymoon report (which is actually more of a guide to Kuredu really....)

No shoes.

Seriously, you do not need shoes. In fact you will look like a fool if you wear them. I took two pairs of cheap flip-flops just to wear in the evenings and that was it. The road that runs through the middle of the resort can be a bit stony, which is the only reason you even need flip-flops.

Dress code

You cannot enter any of the bars or restaurants in swimwear, but a kaftany-cover-up over your bikini is fine, or a sarong tied halterneck-style. I took three bikinis and a kaftan and that was the most I wore during the day. In the evenings, shorts and a vest-top will be fine. I promise that you will not be underdressed. I'm used to dressing for dinner on cruises, so the casual style took a bit of getting used to, but the most fancy thing I wore was probably a cotton summer dress. I actually took less luggage on this holiday than I did for two nights in Oslo last year!

Seaplane transfer

This is quite fun as you get to see all of the other islands as you fly over them. The downside was that we had a three hour wait for it in Male. This is obviously going to be dependant on your UK-Male flight times, but complimentary drinks and sandwiches were at least provided.

Facilities

I can only go on what is provided in the Jacuzzi Beach Villas, but we had all towels and facecloths, including beach towels. There was also two bathrobes and two waterproof jackets. Shower gel, shampoo/conditioner, handwash and body lotion is also provided. There's hairdryer in the bathroom, but I can't tell you whether it was any good as it far too hot for me to tolerate the heat of a hairdryer!

If you're having a jacuzzi beach villa, I'd email Kuredu directly and make a request to be in Sangu resort, as this is the best area of beach (we had villa 151). They won't guarantee it but they managed to fulfil our request (OH works with somebody who is a Kuredu regular so she advised us to do this).

All-inclusive

We had just the normal all inclusive rather than the Gold. This included a sunset cruise (not much of a sunset that day but we did have about a dozen dolphins swimming next to us) and a 15 minute welcome massage (which has to be taken during the first two days after arrival). When you're asked how strong you want your massage, do not underestimate the tiny little Thai ladies. "Strong" means that they will try to crack vertabrae....

As my birthday present from OH, I also had a balancing facial and coconut and vanilla body scrub in the spa, both of which I would highly recommend (they gave me a big bag of lime, lemongrass and ginger scrub to take away as well). I had this one at the O-spa, as they have the glass panel in the floor that you can look through while you're lying on your front. I was just drifting off when a shark swam underneath me!

Wildlife

Without either of us snorkelling (we're both scaredy-cats) we saw turtles and rays most days, as well as lot of other fish, and quite a few sharks. If you have a JBV with the half-outside bathroom, expect to share your bathroom with big red/brown ants at night (always check under the toilet seat). We also had regular visits in the villa from chirping geckos.

There were various other lizards around as well.

There are loads of hermit crabs on the beach which are hilarious. When they're "naked" they're hard to spot because they're the same colour as the sand but they're really fast. Once they've got a shell on they're really slow and ponderous though, and you can see tracks in the sand where they've been dragging their shells along.

The cleaners spray insect repellant in the villas each evening when they come to do the turn-down which get rid of most of the ants and mosquitoes. The beds have mossie nets on them. I only got bitten once all fortnight, but then I was on vitamin B tablets, was using sunscreen and aftersun which contained insect repellant and was spraying cactus juice on every night!

Honeymoon package

We got a fruit basket, a bottle of sparkling wine and two T-shirts. Our cleaner decorated our bed for us one night as well.

I'm sure there's other things I could tell you but my mind's gone blank so please ask if I've forgotten something obvious!

7 replies

Latest activity by ramboto2, 6 of June of 2009 at 04:45
  • ashmegdj
    Beginner August 2009
    ashmegdj ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Kelly, that was great.

A couple of questions off the top of my head.

How much money would you say we'd need for 9 days? And what currency would you say?

Did you have much rain?

Which was the better/best restaurants and what was the food like?

Hmm......I'm sure there's something else!?!

• shoegal01
    Beginner October 2010
    shoegal01 ·
    • Hide content

Wow, kellly it sounds and looks amazing!!!

we are going to the travel agents this weekend to get something booked!! im sure i will have LOADS of questions for you!!!

x

• kelly29
    Beginner May 2009
    kelly29 ·
    • Hide content

Currency on the island is US dollars. We didn't spend a huge amount, but average prices would be about $70 for a spa treatment, about $6-7 for a beer out of the mini-bar etc. We did find the island to be quite expensive TBH.

We were allocated to Koumas restaurant but ate breakfast and lunch in Sangu just because it was nearer. The buffet restaurants have a theme each night (e.g. French, Mexican etc) which rotate fortnightly so you won't get he same one twice. We didn't see the point of trying any of the other buffet restaurants as they were all serving the same food. Although the a la carte restaurants are very highly recommended, you're looking at about $30 just for a bowl of pasta in Franco's (for example) and the menus just didn't excite us enough to want to pay that much, but that's just personal opinion.

We had rain on probably about 5 nights, and odd showers on about 2 or 3 days, but they were quick, warm downpours that we just sat out on the verandah until they'd passed over. I don't know what it will be look in August though.

Forgot to mention that Kuredu is 5 hours ahead of the UK, as the island operates an hour ahead of Male to maximise the daylight.

• ashmegdj
    Beginner August 2009
    ashmegdj ·
    • Hide content

OH said that Franco's is quite dear (from what he has read on the forum). Seems a bit odd when you're AI but as you say, personal choice.

Thanks for now.

xx

• tigeresslady
    Beginner
    tigeresslady ·
    • Hide content

Ashmegdj I went to Kuredu last August for our late honeymoon flew out on our first wedding anniversry. We had a few tropical storms but didn't last very long and to be honest was a welcome relief to the heat. We had a lovely time and stayed in the cheaper accomodation - beach huts which was perfect for us although the other accomodation did look lovely. My H spent a lot of time diving in the second week as well as snorkelling with me (I refuse to dive) while he was diving I was either by the pol or on th ebeach reading and generally relaxing. The spas was lovely and we had a lovely time. Would liove to go again but as I am now expecting our first baby it's not going to be any time soon!

TL

• ashmegdj
    Beginner August 2009
    ashmegdj ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for that tigersslady. And congrats on the baby.

It's great to hear from someone who went in August and to know your holiday wasn't a complete washout!!

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

Wow it looks so fantastic! and so lovely that they decorated your bed like that.

• R
    ramboto2 ·
    • Hide content

Nice. Ive heard a lot about Maldives and its white beaches and atolls. I wonder if that island is populated. I want my honeymoon to be on some secluded island

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics