Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner May 2013

Lace or Satin wedding dress!?!

jen110513, 1 November, 2012 at 22:12 Posted on Planning 0 30

Hi everyone!

This is my first post and not really sure what I'm doing but here goes...

I am getting married next year in May and have left it as late as possible to choose my wedding dress as I wanted to lose weight! I've managed to lose 3 & 1/2 stone so far but still didn't think I would find a wedding dress I liked....

Well I did - in fact I found 2! The first one is a lace Romantica dress https://www.hitched.co.uk/wedding-dresses/romantica/windsor/

and the second is a satin Callista dress http://www.callistabride.com/style.php?sty=4084

I really love both dresses but they are both very different, I've tried them both on on 3 separate occasions and just cannot decide! Any advice or help on how to decide!?

30 replies

Latest activity by jen110513, 26 November, 2012 at 01:19
  • DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Lace, lace, lace! I like lace ?

Well done on the weight loss. That is amazing!

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Well done on losing all that weight! What's your secret?

Personally it'd be the lace one for me Smiley smile

• P
    Beginner April 2013
    polarbex ·
    • Hide content

Firstly, congratulations on losing so much weight!!!

I fell in love with Windsor too and had my heart set on it. It was pointed out that it was quite shiney, but I love the way it pulled me in! The other dress is very different and just as gorgeous - being simpler, you can have more fun with accessories. My only advice is that if you have a tough choice, then you may not have found your dress... good luck deciding!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Congrats on the weight loss!

Lace gets my vote over satin any day!

• Nicola_84uk
    Beginner October 2013
    Nicola_84uk ·
    • Hide content

Massive congrats on your weight loss, Well done!!

Personally I prefer the lace but go with whatever makes you feel amazing. ?

• E
    Beginner August 2013
    Elodia ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I'm in the same predicorment. I'm stuck between a lace and satin? I'm trying both dresses on, on Sat. The one shop was able to get other dress in so I try them on together. Which is fantastic. Also, I got to my goal weight today with Slimming World....

• J
    Beginner May 2013
    jen110513 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for your help!

The weight loss is down to weight watchers and excersice but its been a slow process (since April when we got engaged), will definitely be loosing another 2 stone by the wedding!

Elodia - congrats on goal weight - must be a great feeling!

Polarbex - did you not go with Windsor in the end then? I had never even thought about it being shiny. It definitely defines your figure.

In all honesty I think I lean more towards the lace dress - i always thought I would want a lace dress but because of my size didn't think I would find one that flattered my figure - on the hanger this dress was more embellished than I thought I would like but once it was on, I loved it!

It was one of the first dresses I'd tried on so I wanted to make sure I looked around first and then found the satin one. Well actually the sales assistant picked it out for me and I was so surprised how much I loved it!

• EAC13
    Beginner June 2013
    EAC13 ·
    • Hide content

Lace Smiley smile

• H
    Beginner July 2013
    HAG13 ·
    • Hide content

I remember trying the Windsor, it did wonders! It wasn't the dress for me however. I ended up buying something satin, despite really wanting something lacey from the offset, then I spent weeks panicking about if I made the right decision and if there was actually something lace out there for me, went looking again and also brought 'the one' that which was a lace dress. So I'm saying, if you wanted lace from day one, go for lace. But like the others have said, keep looking, if you're trying to decide, you might not have the right dress yet x

• Becklarrr
    Beginner
    Becklarrr ·
    • Hide content

Lace definitely!

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

I'm not usually a fan of lace dresses, but of these 2, I'd go for the lace windsor dress, it just looks more feminine but I can't really put my finger on why. I had a similar dress to the satin one, but mine was a matt satin so it didn't look so shin and cheap. Of course, dresses always look different on us than the models. Pick which ever suits you best, although I suspect if you can't decide between 2, there is a better one for you

• C
    Beginner March 2013
    Chedi ·
    • Hide content

I personally chose satin over lace for my dress... but out of your choice, lace would win. In a way, the satin choice is a bit plain.

• FaeBelle13
    Beginner April 2013
    FaeBelle13 ·
    • Hide content

For me it's lace all the way, but on some people i love satin. it really just depends on which one you felt more comfortable in and loved the most.

• J
    Beginner May 2013
    jen110513 ·
    • Hide content

I do think I prefer the lace dress but I worry about what other people will think - and think that most would prefer the satin dress! I know that is stupid and I shouldn't think like that but can't get it out of my head!

I have tried on loads of dresses and by far these 2 are my favourites, I honestly don't think its that I havent found the dress, I think its that I really love 2 dresses!?

• claire_91
    Beginner July 2014
    claire_91 ·
    • Hide content

I have to agree with the person who said if you are struggling to choose then neither of them may be the one. If I had to choose between the two I would definitely go with the lace x

• L
    Beginner June 2013
    LC to be ·
    • Hide content

I love the lace one - it's so pretty! Personally, I think the satin one is a little plain in comparison.

If you think you prefer the lace one, don't worry what you think people might think, it's what makes you feel the best that matters!

Have you got pics of you in the dress? If you compare these rather than the model pics it might help you make your decision, or just go back and try them on again, and see if you get the 'this is the one' feeling in either of them.

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

I'm so hot for lace!!! But I can't quite take to the one in the pic, and I think the satin is slightly too simple

I vote for you to post pics of you in them, and keep looking Smiley laugh

• P
    Beginner April 2013
    polarbex ·
    • Hide content

I didn't go for Windsor in the end. I think my mother put me off. We loved Amanda and Virginia from Romantica, and if I had the money, I would have bought Maggie Sottero Lori. I had my heart set on slim fitting elegant lace but I ended up with a preloved Ian Stuart silk number which is huge and fabulous! If you're planning to lose more weight, can you leave it a bit longer. Don't be swayed by what others might think or want to see...though we'd love to see you in the dresses!

• J
    Beginner May 2013
    jen110513 ·
    • Hide content

Hi ladies,

Thanks so much for all your help and advice! I have only got a pic of one dress as they wouldn't let me take a pictures in the other shop! :-(

Anyway - I ordered my dress today!!!!

i didn't even go back and try on the satin dress, I just went to the shop, tried the lace one on again and I just knew! If I'm honest, I knew right from the beginning but I think I was swayed slightly by other people!

i love the dress and haven't had one single regret! I know I've definitely made the right decision - thank you!

Xxxx

• carter89
    Beginner May 2013
    carter89 ·
    • Hide content

I LOVE the lace one!

• debacker
    Beginner April 2013
    debacker ·
    • Hide content

You can find your perfect one at http://www.magicweddingdress.com/royal-halter-mermaid-wedding-gown-mwd081-p-81/, and this store provides customize service so I think you can don't worry about your weight! ?

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

I'm a bit late chipping in here but before I got to the end of this thread I was going to say the lace one!

Well done on your weight loss. I've lost 23lb up to now but have another 47lb to go! Did you say you're going to lose another 2st before your wedding? If yes, how did you decide what size to have your dress ordered in? I've found a dress I love & I've been offered the one I tried on in the shop half price. I'm so tempted to get it but it'll be 2 sizes too big by the time I've lost all my weight! I'm worried it won't alter well if that makes sense?! Then I thought about ordering one 2 sizes smaller but worry I won't lose enough weight by the wedding. I then panicked that I won't be able to order it if I leave it until next year so I'm looking into having it made in China. Now I'm wondering whether to just get the real deal half price & hope it can be altered OK!!!

• J
    Beginner May 2013
    jen110513 ·
    • Hide content

Hiya Sarah,

Thank you! Well done to you too - that's great! I still want to lose at least another 2 stone by the wedding!

The dress i tried on was actually 3 sizes smaller than the size i measured at but i decided to order 1 size smaller than i would need now. They said at the shop that it was up to me, I could order smaller if I wanted but that they wouldn't advise putting that kind of pressure on myself. I know 100% i will lose the 2 stone to get me down to my target for the wedding so i opted for 1 dress size smaller which they said would be apporximately 1 1/2 stone. They then said that if i lose anymore it can be taken in by up to 2 dress sizes (i wish), so in all honesty i'm hoping to have my dress taken in by 2 sizes!

I put off looking for dresses until as late as possible and even then I convinced myself that i wouldnt find one i liked until i lost of the weight i wanted to - so I would say, if you've seen one you love - get it! Especially if theyre offering you discount.

Most people I know or have spoken to have had there dress taken in at least 1 dress size!

Hope this helps! x

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

When do you get married hun? (sorry if you've already said!) My wedding is September next year but I want to be at my goal weight (or very close) by my hen weekend which is at the end of June.

From what you've said it sounds like you ordered the right size as you know you can have it taken in. How exciting!!

I wasn't going to even look at dresses until I'd lost 3st but I didn't do too well over the Summer weightl oss wise & even though I've only lost 23lb, I couldn't wait any longer! I just didn't want to end up crying because I looked awful!

The one in the shop has been used in a cat walk show & there is fake tan on the inside & there's a small tear in the hem. It's too long on me anyway so that tear would be gone when it's taken up. I'm just a bit worried it will lose it's shape when taken in. What to do?! x

• J
    Beginner May 2013
    jen110513 ·
    • Hide content

I get married on 11th May next year, but like you want to be at goal a month earlier for my hen party in April!

If you don't mind that the dress has been used in the catwalk show and the little niggles then I wouldn't let the shape put you off - obviously im no expert but I always think that if they say a max they can take it in by before it effects shape and 2 sizes is less than that - then you should be fine!?

Does the discount make a big difference?

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's £700 to order one & they've offered me the one in the shop for £450. Considering I'll have to have it cleaned & altered it's not really worth it, is it?! I've text the woman from the shop saying I don't want the one in stock. I've decided to try more dresses on next year & if I don't find one I love more, I'll order this one or have it made!

• S
    Beginner June 2013
    sammym5 ·
    • Hide content

I LOVE the lace one. So elegant and romantic. xx

• E
    Beginner August 2013
    Elodia ·
    • Hide content

Hi Jen, how's it going. Did you decide on a dress? I made the decision to go back to my original plan and go for satin just wondered what you ended up having? X

• V
    Beginner August 2013
    Victoria030384 ·
    • Hide content

I was convinced I would go for satin, didn't even consider lace or tuille as I am not a girly, fussy person. Went to the shop and tried on some dresses (all satin) and liked them but then the owner pulled out Mori Lee 2105 and although I wasn't keen to start with the minute I tried it on I knew it was perfect! I took my mum and MIL to see it and they were both amazed - it is so not like they would have expected!!! It is so much more fussy that I though I wanted but it was just perfect! I think personally the lace one looks nicest on you but then its whichever you feel happiest with!

• J
    Beginner May 2013
    jen110513 ·
    • Hide content

Hiya!

I went for the lace! Definitely know I've made the right decision! Just so excited for it to arrive! Glad you made your decision too! You pleased with it? Xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics