Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner March 2018

Lack of support!

Travellingbride2b, 3 of September of 2017 at 22:28 Posted on Planning 0 5

Apologies but I just need a bit of a rant, as this has been stressing me out, and has been the main cause of stress between my H2b and I lately.

We got engaged back at the beginning of the year, and ever since this happeed, we have had little support from both sides of the family. Now when I say support, I don't mean financial as actually both sides have contributed massively, which we are so grateful for.

What I mean is the emotional support and backing for us to thrive and be together as life long partners.

Since getting engaged the MIL has said to me and us on a few occassions - "are you sure about this?" and "are you sure you want to spend the rest of your lives together?" "will you love each other forever".

MIL has even gone down the route of asking for a bloody pre-nup, mainly as the H2b has his own fully paid off home, and she is worried that I would be entiltled to half of it in the event of a divorce.

So basically it boils down to the one thing that divides or causes arguements, and that is money.

With my half of the family, it is about money too .. but more the fact that I will be the main earner in the relationship. H2b works casual/freelance work, with some busy and some quiet months, and my dad in particular does not think that is right, as is very much the traditionalist in that the man should work and provide for the woman, so feels that I'll be the one slaving away whilst he sits around and does nothing.

We get married in the new year, and honestly, I have so much more to be dealing with. I feel that the wedding planning has be hampered with doubts from family, and that any joy has been sucked right out of it.

It honestly feels like the whole day won't be a joious celebration, but will have family fake smiling whilst in the back of their minds thinking 'this is going to end in tears!'

We love each other, and thats what matters to us - not money

Really not sure where to go with this. H2b does not feel I should sign a pre-nup and MIL hasn't directly asked me to, she has just mentioned it to him, but I don't want it to get to 1 week before the wedding and she gets the solictors in.

Has anyone else been in this situation before? I am just at a total loss, and feel so depressed thinking about it all. I

5 replies

Latest activity by RomanticBlueCakes716, 3 of September of 2017 at 23:43
  • H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

If you don't mind me asking, what age are you both? Why is your husband to be not telling his mother where to shove her pre-nup?!

As long as you love each other and make each other happy then to hell with anyone else!

• T
    Beginner March 2018
    Travellingbride2b ·
    • Hide content

We are both in our 30s, so not exactly young and naive (we believe anyway).

He has already said we are signing it, but with air of doubt from both ends - it is just a stress we really don't need, and its causing us to argue too.

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

Are you both only signing it to please this woman? I don't think you should give in to her. She'll continue to try to control you for the rest of your married life if you give in to her now. Start as you mean to go on and stand up to her.

• T
    Beginner March 2018
    Travellingbride2b ·
    • Hide content

No not at all. We don't want to have to write essentially what is an insurance policy to married life.

I can see her perspective though (as a side note, she help him pay off most of his house) - so esentially it is family money tided up in it. But I am not some Gold digger wanting to take someone for all they have. I am with her son as I love him, but she doesn't see that.

And likewise with my parents and him - they don't see that there is love there, they feel I will be funding his semi-retired lifestyle.

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

Have you been together only a short time before getting engaged?

• R
    Beginner April 2018
    RomanticBlueCakes716 ·
    • Hide content

Surely if you both live in the house he bought and you pay the bills, your both equal partners in this? Maybe it's not a bad idea to have at least a verbal agreement on what would happen? Have some witnesses and your both as legally covered as a pre nup.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics