Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

KateyP
Beginner February 2010

Lake District vs Majorca wedding. Advice please!

KateyP, 2 of March of 2010 at 20:46 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hello everyone, i'm new here!

Got engaged 3 weeks ago, and despite 27 years of dreaming about my wedding day (not to mention 3 years wokring as a wedding co-ordinator!) my ability to make decisions has turned to mush!

Budget is of course an issue. We are also saving for a house, which is keeping me grounded in terms of wedding plans.

So long as our day is romantic, relaxed and personal I will be happy. But where to have it?!?!

I live in the North West, so the Lakes are appealing. I like the idea of taking exclusivity of a pretty hotel near the water, for around 70 guests (day and night).

I also adore Majorca and would love to get hitched there, however early enquiries have indicated BIG costs. Again, I would like around 60-70 guests.

Any advice? You all seem very lovely and I hope you can help me!

x

13 replies

Latest activity by Mrs S*, 4 of March of 2010 at 16:08
  • Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I can't say anything about cost but I went to a wedding at the Can Simoneta hotel in Majorca last year and it was absolutely stunning... ceremony on the clifftop overlooking the sea, BBQ dinner with soooo much food, an outdoor disco and swim in the pool at 2am!

We all stayed at local B&B apartments, some people stayed at the Can Simoneta for about a week leading up to the wedding.

Never been to the Lake District though so can't compare!

• FunkyDiva
    FunkyDiva ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations on your engagement and welcome to Hitched.

The lakes are beautiful we are going there for a mini break in May and I cannot wait.

One thing to factor in is that travelling to the Lakes may well be easier for a lot of people.

My brother is getting married in August abroad in August this year and we are all very excited.

However, it is costing us a lot of money to get there and as a result has become our main holiday (due to school holidays as well).

A lot of people have not been able to attend due to the cost of going abroad and not wanting to fly etc, but we were not given much notice and Cyprus is expensive and not somewhere you can go for a short trip.

I think it depends very much on what you would like.

If you do go abroad then tell people well in advance so that they can save etc.

Happy Planning.

• L
    Beginner February 2011
    Lucy137 ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations!

Both sound lovely but i would say the lake district. just as (or maybe more) beautiful than majorca and will be easier for everyone too. ?

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

You have to be Resident in Majorca & live & work there for 2yrs before you can marry in Majorca by Civil Law. You will find that a lot of Spanish Countries are the same.

• KateyP
    Beginner February 2010
    KateyP ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, I've just emailed Can Simoneta, it looks beautiful - thank you for the tip!

So many venues say they offer civil ceremonies, strange. So we would have to get legally married in the UK then just have a blessing over there? Hmmm...

• The Little Jewellery Box
    The Little Jewellery Box ·
    • Hide content

Huge congratulations and welcome to hitched!!! ?

• yummymummy05
    Beginner November 2010
    yummymummy05 ·
    • Hide content

HI,

congratulations and welcome to Hitched.

Where abouts in the north west are you?

• *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content

Hi KateyP,

We're going over to Majorca in a few weeks to look at our venue, Cala D'Or Yacht Club. So far they have been VERY helpful and have sorted everything out for us to view, price up etc and it is working out very reasonable.

We also go up to the Lakes at least once every 4-8 weeks and I have seen countless weddings up there and have even been to one in Bowness. It all depends on what you want.

We will save over £20k by doing it in Majorca and then having a do when we get back home.

Good luck whatever your decision.

• KateyP
    Beginner February 2010
    KateyP ·
    • Hide content

Thank you!

Liverpool.

• KateyP
    Beginner February 2010
    KateyP ·
    • Hide content

Bump.

Still clueless! Found a few contenders in Majorca, now for the Lakes.

Have any of you booked, or have been to a gorgeous wedding there?

If so, can you hint at some venues / hotels.

Thanks all, and happy Friday Eve x

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married in Turkey and I can't wait. The downside to a wedding abroad is that not everyone can come, saying that, we have got around 40 people coming with us. We have all of our close friends and family coming. We are planning to have a bit of a party when we get back and have it in pub/village hall for everyone. I get to wear my dress twice.

I would go for abroad. We have a wedding planner and she is arranging everything. It's cheaper too!

• KateyP
    Beginner February 2010
    KateyP ·
    • Hide content

I love Turkey! Whereabouts? Such lovely people there.

Fab that you get to wear your dress twice, I think it's great that you're wearing it to the party when you get home. Without sounding funny, I think it gives your guests a sense of 'value'! If I went to a wedding party, I'D WANT TO SEE THE DRESS!

If you don't mind me asking, what is the wedding approx costing? We're saving at the mo, and I want a realistc figure to work to.

Cheers!

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

Tbh, this is a personal opinion, and I'll probably get slated for it, but I don't really approve of weddings abroad so I'd always say the lakes. We went to a wedding in Cyprus of a close family member last year - it was the first time my OH was able to take time off work, and we could afford a holiday in the 3 years we'd been together and we didn't even get to choose where we went. Also close family members couldn't attend because it was abroad.

It was a lovely wedding and beautiful scenery, but unless you're Rio Ferdinand (who flew all his guests out and paid for their accommodation) or you just want a quiet day and aren't expecting people to come, I just don't think it's justifiable. My friend got married here and it was beautiful:

http://www.muncaster.co.uk/

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married in Olu Deniz on the blue lagoon.

I've booked through this website: http://www.weddingsturkey.com/

We're paying £2050 for the package and all the legal stuff. Then it's £34pp on top, this includes BBQ dinner, fizz for after ceremony and free bar.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics