Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner October 2016

Las Vegas wedding - UK reception advice please!

silverstephy, 27 of April of 2015 at 16:01 Posted on Planning 0 19

Hi all!

I'm new here, first time posting!

I am getting married next year in Las Vegas with 14 family members and friends attending. We are then having a UK reception for about 150 people to celebrate with the rest of our family and friends. I have a couple of questions and was after some advice/opinions really.

Firstly I am having favours for all my evening guests. With this not being a traditional wedding, there is no wedding breakfast and I really want to give my guests favours. My plan is to put my favours in a wooden suitcase (next to one for cards) with a sign asking guests to please take one. Does that sound ok? There are no table settings so I thought this may work? What do you think? I have 2 bridesmaids aged 5 and 7 and thought they could possibly make sure guests take one? Thought it might be quite cute and give them an extra important job to do!

With regards to a gift list - we don't have one. And instead will be asking people to put money in a card (if they want to get us something - we don't expect it!), but again with our wedding not being traditional, do you think we should put our little note in ALL invites (except those flying to Vegas with us), or would this be bad taste? Should we say nothing and just mention it if guests ask for our gift list? Really not sure what to do!

All thoughts and advice would be gratefully received! Thank you!

Steph x

19 replies

Latest activity by Lapland2015, 29 of April of 2015 at 17:33
  • AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I think the idea of having the favours in a suitcase for people to take if they want one is lovely, but I'm not sure this is a job for your little bms. I know mine were very tired by the end of our reception and one was asleep in a corner!!

It might be better to put them by your guestbook and perhaps ask the best man to guide people to it throughout the evening? Or find some responsible adults maybe?

As to the gift list - you'll get many opinions on here!!

My opinion is no, you don't ask - you wait until they ask you and then tell them you don't want gifts - they will give you vouchers or money anyway.

• N
    Beginner September 2016
    NJMelia ·
    • Hide content

Hi Steph!

I just had to reply as i'm doing something rather similar, wedding in Las Vegas with 4 guests and UK reception following. We've decided to have a blessing or 'fake ceremony' as I keep referring to it, just for grandparents and close family, followed by a wedding breakfast and reception. I'd be interested to find out more about your plans though as I've not come across anyone yet with similar plans.

AS for your questions I think the favour idea is great, especially having the little helpers get involved Smiley smile

I'm still struggling with the gift list side of things myself, I've seen people put it in the invite for all guests but as a poem or made something quite personal. I think it's expected though so wouldn't worry.

N x

• N
    Beginner September 2016
    NJMelia ·
    • Hide content

Hmm, hadn't seen the comment above. Didn't think about how tired the children would be!!

N x

• S
    Beginner October 2016
    silverstephy ·
    • Hide content

Hi auntie! Thanks so much for your reply. You're right, I didn't think of the little ones getting so tired. Absolutely love the idea of putting the favours next to the guest book, I think I will actually do that. Thanks so much!

Hi N! Wow can't believe you're doing a very similar thing to me! I'd love to chat through our ideas! I tried to get my fiance to have a blessing in the UK but he refuses haha. He says he just wants to marry me in Vegas and that's that!

Thanks for your input regarding the gift list thing. I know what you mean about a little poem, we recently went to a wedding and they sent us one with the invite, but we were invited to the whole shebang - church, breakfast and reception. With us having just a UK reception I'm not sure if people would be offended by it. Perhaps I'm best just letting people know if asked as auntie says!

Xxx

• ☆♡☆VegasBride☆♡☆
    Beginner August 2014
    ☆♡☆VegasBride☆♡☆ ·
    • Hide content

That sounds fab!

We had our favours next to the guest book made it so much easier! We also had a Vegas themed wedding reception in the UK before we went so if you need anything just ask xx

• Z
    Beginner September 2015
    Zozo222 ·
    • Hide content

Hi All, I didn't realise there were so many girls getting married in Las Vegas on here... We're also getting married in Las Vegas in September, we have 27 confirmed for wedding in Vegas and are having an evening reception back in Scotland - can't wait Smiley smile

I agree with the others re gift list/asking for money, personally we arent asking for anything, those travelling to Vegas are paying enough and I'm not sure it's the done thing for an evening reception. Those who want to get you a gift will ask or will ask your parents.

We are having welcome drinks on arrival and a sweet table instead of favours. What are you getting as favours? If we were doing them I think I'd go for charity pins.

so back to Vegas - where are you getting married and what are your plans??

• ☆♡☆VegasBride☆♡☆
    Beginner August 2014
    ☆♡☆VegasBride☆♡☆ ·
    • Hide content

Zozo we did the charity pins for ours along with a small sweet buffet ? it didn't add too much onto the budget either. Which chapel did you pick? We were viva las vegas out door gazebo x

• Z
    Beginner September 2015
    Zozo222 ·
    • Hide content

I just googled your venue - it looks stunning Smiley smile did you have a day or evening wedding? Where did you go afterwards?

we've booked the Eiffel Tower Restaurant, having the ceremony, cocktail hour and reception meal there, - we got engaged at the Eiffel Tower in Pariss, France so a bit of a theme and I'm loving the floor to ceiling glass over looking the bellagio fountains! Then we have a huge limo for 30 and a photographer booked for a strip photo tour with all our guests and still need to decide where to go after then.

Do you have any tips? Anything you loved or which you wish you'd done?

• ☆♡☆VegasBride☆♡☆
    Beginner August 2014
    ☆♡☆VegasBride☆♡☆ ·
    • Hide content

Thank you i always wanted to get married outside We got married at 8pm, there was 15 of us in total and we had a first look package so I went first with all the girls in 1 limo and h2b went with the blokes, afterwards we hired a party bus which took us too the Las Vegas sign for more photos and onto the chandelier lounge at the cosmopolitan lounge for cocktails..We decided not too have a dinner etc too save costs but treated everyone to a drink. After we walked back to our hotel for some gambling and ended up at the food court at about 3 am! After the cocktails some people went and did there own thing It was a long day for them!

• Z
    Beginner September 2015
    Zozo222 ·
    • Hide content

Sounds fantastic and really relaxed for your guests Smiley smile

sorry for hijacking this thread!!

• ☆♡☆VegasBride☆♡☆
    Beginner August 2014
    ☆♡☆VegasBride☆♡☆ ·
    • Hide content

Just created this for all us Vegas Brides ? https://www.hitched.co.uk/chat/forums/p/497709/3735517.aspx#3735517

Xxxx

• S
    Beginner October 2016
    silverstephy ·
    • Hide content

Morning ladies! I'm thinking of having seed packets as my favours. I love the idea that they can be sprinkled in gardens and scrub land and beautiful flowers will bloom.

We're also having a sweetie cart but I'm classing that as my dessert table rather than favours.

Think I'll join you in the Vegas thread!

Xxx

• V
    Beginner September 2015
    VegasBride2015 ·
    • Hide content

Also getting married in las vegas in september. we dont have a gift list and so far only 1 person has asked. we just said we arent expecting gifts or having a list as people are flying over with us and spending enough. however my mum has told me people are planning on giving us dollars anyway so i dont think you have to mention it - people will know what to do x

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

Sounds very similar to us :-) we have around 14 in Lapland and 100 in UK. I think favours in a suitcase sounds like a lovely idea! We have chosen not to have favours but I did consider it like that as the suitcase ties in with abroad wedding. Just make sure ur bridesmaids point them out or you do or people will hesitate to take them. We are not putting anything in regards to gifts as even though we have been asked by Lapland guests I think it's a tad cheeky to ask for anything when they are flying out for you. As for the UK party guests I can't bring myself to ask as I find money poems etc very distasteful (sorry anyone having them but I have received 2 this year out of 3 weddings) we are having a wishing well for cards if people choose to bring them and if anyone asked me would point them in the direction of a honeymoon fund but if they don't ask we won't. Most people now a days tend to give money as wedding gifts.

• S
    Beginner October 2016
    silverstephy ·
    • Hide content

Thanks so much for your thoughts and ideas! I think I'll go with putting the favours next to the guest book, and won't put a money poem in with the invites. I feel a bit uneasy about doing it and I'm guessing that's my gut telling me not to!

Wow a wedding in lapland sounds absolutely fantastic!

Xxx

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

So does Vegas! My parents have been twice and keep rubbing in how great it is there I'm still yet to go! How long are you going there for? And if you don't mind me being nosey where are you getting married?

• S
    Beginner October 2016
    silverstephy ·
    • Hide content

Haha they're right it really is fantastic! So much fun, like nowhere you've ever visited before. But wow lapland that just sounds so romantic!

We're getting married at Chapel of the flowers in the Victorian chapel room, and we're staying at the cosmopolitan hotel for 7 nights in a suite with a balcony overlooking the bellagio fountains. We don't usually do luxury but we thought for our wedding why not! It's still 18 months away but I know it'll come round so quickly!

Xxx

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

Wow the Victorian chapel looks lovely! And the hotel! I think a wedding is the perfect excuse for a bit of luxury! The time will fly past I know it has been for me so far haha

• S
    Beginner October 2016
    silverstephy ·
    • Hide content

Aww thanks hun! And yes I agree, if you can't have luxury for your wedding then when can you?

I see you have 8 months to go til your wedding! When did you start planning it? Have you bought your dress? I'm absolutely dying to buy my dress but want to lose weight first. My plan is to have lost the weight and order by the end of the year

Xxx

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

Yea it's flown last so far! We booked about 18months ago so had plenty of time to plan. It's been so stress free with the help of a lovely planner we were recommended on here actually lol. I went dress shopping in july not expecting to find anything but it was suppose to be the one to give my moh and mil the experience so I could go another time with just my mum and not offend but turns out I found the one in the second shop! It came in February but we're waiting until nearer the time for alterations. My advice would be choose two shops with completely different designers, wear good fitting pants and easy to get in/out of clothes! Skinny jeans were probably my dumbest idea! It was lovely having a girly day with lunch in between :-)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics