Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner September 2014

Last minute bridesmaid addition?

loves-young-dream, 20 of August of 2014 at 17:34 Posted on Planning 0 10

Soooo I have recently become very close with one of my closest friends, I would now class her as my best friend and especially after a few incidents on my hen do I realised she is really my true friend, a lot more than my friend who is a bridesmaid from our group. I never asked her cause I didn't want too many bridesmaids and we weren't that close two years ago when I started planning!

now the question is with 3 weeks to go do I ask her? I have a spare dress (long story) but it's a size 16 and she's a 10. Is it too late to ask her? Will people think it's weird it's so late? We could get the dress altered but I'd have to ask her to pay for it.

help please! I don't want to regret not making her one!!!!

10 replies

Latest activity by loves-young-dream, 25 of August of 2014 at 18:06
  • MrsHadley2Be
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsHadley2Be ·
    • Hide content

I'm a big believer in 'your day- your way' so firstly I wouldn't be too bothered about other people thinking its weird or whatever. If you feel she is someone you are close enough to become one of your bridesmaids then i say go for it.

Things change over time and if she has shown to be a true friend then you may regret not including her on the big day. Smiley smile

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

It is strange how things work out over time and how you realise who is important and who isn't when planning your wedding. I had my bridesmaids chosen within a week of being engaged but then added one on 7 months before the wedding and it was the best decision I made.

When deciding I felt that I would regret NOT making her one more than I would regret having her as bridesmaid. It cost me a lot more money and meant a little more stress on the build up to the day but it was so worth it. With 3 weeks to go it might be tricky but it's your wedding and you don't want to be regretting a thing.

• L
    Beginner September 2014
    loves-young-dream ·
    • Hide content

Thank you! It will be stressful getting matching necklaces to the others, dress altered, and paying more for flowers and hair but I really feel she deserves it and I want her to be a part of it all

• Pipsybus
    Beginner June 2015
    Pipsybus ·
    • Hide content

I think if you want to ask her you should. I'm sure she'd be thrilled but I'd be equally prepared for her to say no. She may already have spent money on a new outfit, shoes, jewellery etc and it's possible she won't have money (or even want to pay) for a dress to be altered at this late stage. I know that's not something I'd want to pay for myself. Hope it works out for you x

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think that answers your question. You sound like me! The exact same things went through my head and I didn't regret it one bit. She was an excellent support and we are really close now.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I think you'd need to make it clear what she will need to pay out and be prepared she may say no. If she does, do you have a reading she could do if she preferred?

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My thoughts exactly. Go for it!

• teafortwo
    Beginner July 2015
    teafortwo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with this. If she doesn't want to do it then I'm sure there are plenty of ways to involve her and give her a special role in your wedding without being your bridesmaid.

For what it's worth though, I'd totally ask, she's obviously important to you...I hope she says yes!

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

Did you ask her?

• AlmostMrsT
    Beginner February 2015
    AlmostMrsT ·
    • Hide content

If your friend doesn't become one of your bridesmaids, she could be a witness. I have 2 best friends, a man and a woman, so it was easy for me when deciding on one of my bridesmaids. My other friend however, tends to be a bit emotional and I don't think he'd be able to do a reading, so I have asked him to be one of our witnesses.

• L
    Beginner September 2014
    loves-young-dream ·
    • Hide content

Yes I asked her and she said yes!! Sooo happy that she's going to be a bridesmaid!!! Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics