Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner April 2014

Late Wedding with drinks/canape reception followed by evening buffet/disco

SeaJay, 2 November, 2012 at 11:11 Posted on Planning 0 8

We are planning on having a late 5pm wedding, followed with an hour drinks/canapé reception for the day guests from 6-7 while we have photos etc. taken, then an evening buffet and disco for them and an additional 50 evening guests from 7-late.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma on how many canapes to feed the day guests to 'tide them over' till the main meal of the event, which will be an evening buffet at around 8pm (it will be substantial enough to be a 'main' meal).

We are advising the day guests to eat a biggish late lunch around 3pm before the ceremony so they aren't arriving hungry, but is the gap inbetween before they eat the buffet too long, and if so, how many canapes would you think we should provide in the drinks reception to stop people starving?

Any help would be appreciated !

8 replies

Latest activity by Teal, 2 November, 2012 at 18:58
  • Foote2c
    Beginner December 2012
    Foote2c ·
    • Hide content

I was advised 10 per person, but that may be a bit much if they'll be having a buffet shortly after. Are you using caterers or doing it yourself?

• L
    Beginner June 2013
    LC to be ·
    • Hide content

I would be quite happy waiting until 7 to have food, expecially if you're telling them before hand to eat a large lunch

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't have thought you'd need to feed them that much to be honest. It's only 3 hours between your ceremony time and the buffet. I wouldn't have thought you needed 10 canapes per person- maybe 5 at most?

x

• LilMissBusyBride
    Beginner August 2013
    LilMissBusyBride ·
    • Hide content

I agree only a few canapes per person. Mosot ppl I know dont eat until 7 or 8 so wont be too hungry anyway. Sounds like it will all flow lovely

• S
    Beginner April 2014
    SeaJay ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, we are using caterers but haven't yet picked one, in the process of comparing options at the moment.

• N
    Beginner June 2013
    natsastar ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure if you could maybe do something different or if canapes is what you are definite you want. Have you thought of an afternoon tea kind of theme? We are going to be having cakes and scones after the ceremony and before the wedding hog roast in the evening.

A wedding one of my friends went to recently had their wedding at 2.30pm in the church and then they went to the wedding reception and had nibbles on the tables until they were ready for the sit down meal in the evening.

Could you have something like this instead? I'd be a little annoyed spending out a lot of money for canapes only to find that they go to waste...

?

• Chickster
    Beginner August 2013
    Chickster ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

10 is far too many - its usually between 4 to 6 canapes per person. We are having 5 canapes per person at 2pm, with the wedding breakfast being served at around 4pm. Foote - no offence, but your caterers are taking the mickey!

• Foote2c
    Beginner December 2012
    Foote2c ·
    • Hide content

Chickster, don,t even go there, my sister had a complete hissy fit that we're not having a proper sit down meal. Catering for this has been a nightmare. Canceled original plan and we're doing it ourselves. Food aside, we have enough champagne to sink a small ship.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I depends how far people are travelling. If people are getting ready then driving an hour to get to the ceremony, they may have eaten earlier than 3pm. I'd be starving by 7-8pm! In particular most elderly relatives like to eat earlier, so I'd def have some canapes.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics