Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

W

Late wedding with evening only reception

wiltshire flowers, 12 September, 2012 at 07:40 Posted on Planning 0 14

Hi

I am looking for some advice.

My daughter was going to get married in September next year but after falling pregnant with their second child it was decided that for financial reasons it would probably be better postponing it. After several discussions they desperately want to get married on the same date. I was wondering whether any of you who maybe on a tighter budget have decided to go with maybe a later wedding and 1 evening reception for everyone.

If so, how does this work? Will the hotel accomodate this option as we have already paid a £500 deposit and what sort of catering do you do for this? The church have a greed to move the wedding to 4pm.

I look forward to any help/advice that you may be able to give us.

14 replies

Latest activity by tracy P, 12 September, 2012 at 23:43
  • toni1983
    Beginner August 2013
    toni1983 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I myself am having a late ceremony at 4 then drinks and BBQ buffet at the hotel for all guests. The venue were happy for us to do this as we are on a budget too and wanted a more relaxed feel to our wedding. We are still having tables places etc just to keep some formality and because a few people don't get on!

Give the venue a call and explain the changes.

Toni

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Most venues would not have an issue with this however if you have already signed a contract and agreed to a minimum spend might be different!

• W
    wiltshire flowers ·
    • Hide content

Thank you very much. That sounds like a lovely idea.

Lisa

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This has basically been every wedding I've ever been to, but with the ceremonies being even later, up to 6pm. I would assume that your daughter would have to check her T&Cs from the venue. If they've signed a contract stating that they will have a sit down meal for a set number of people, she would have to argue that. Otherwise, it might be the case that she has to cut down number and not have any 'evening guests'. My cousin did this. He and his bride were strapped for cash, so they did a very small wedding, 40 guests. They had a sit down meal, but it didn't cost the earth.

I had never heard of this two meal nonsense until I got engaged in England. I understand that I need to offer food for evening guests, but it all seems so much over the massive meal the day guests just had before. Moving the wedding a little later will definitely cut that out, but she'll probably have to do a buffet style meal, no sit-down.

• K
    Beginner December 2012
    kingfisher1923 ·
    • Hide content

It's nice to hear that they still want to go ahead and get married. We're having our wedding at 2pm, followed by cakes and tea/coffee at the church for everyone (a wider guest list), and photos. Then invited guests go on to the reception venue at about 5pm for drinks, buffet, band etc. We might have had the ceremony later than 2pm, but we're marrying in winter and want to have some daylight after the service for photos!

I think your later wedding and evening reception will work just fine and I'm sure everyone will have a lovely time. Good luck with your planning.

• fairyfay
    Beginner September 2012
    fairyfay ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married September this year, due to having such a large family we choose to have a less formal wedding reception and due to costs a later time meant that we would only have to feed evertone once ?. We are getting married at 3:30 and all our guests have been invited to the whole day. Catering wise we are having a Hog Roast and side dishes, we have plumped for a wedding cake of cheese so that if our guest get a bit peckish during the evening they can help thenselves to cheese and biscuits.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

No problem with this at all. We're having a similar thing for our home blessing this weekend. Ceremony at 3 for 100 people. All of those back to PIL's farm for canapes and drinks. 150 more people arriving at 5pm, hog roast at 7.30 then cake/sweet table and cheese table. Bacon butties for whoever is left around 1am!

• W
    wiltshire flowers ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all for your help and positive replies.

We have emailed the hotel, we haven't signed any contract so fingers crossed they will be able to arrange something for us.

Lisa

• MrsMeldrew
    Beginner October 2012
    MrsMeldrew ·
    • Hide content

OH's brother got married at 3.30 and they just had the same guests for all day and just did one meal. No-one minded as it was after 6 by the time they got round to the meal so it was plenty.

• B
    Beginner September 2013
    Banner ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I am getting married September next year and we are getting married at 3.00pm. Followed by a cup of tea and a scone around 3.45. Then photographs. Guests will arrive at evening reception venue at around 5.00pm for a welcome drink and a few sandwiches. Followed by speeches and cutting the cake. Evening guests will arrive at 7.00pm with a buffet for everyone around 8.30pm.

The hotel where we are having are evening recpeption where ok for us to do this, although they said if we had of asked for an evening reception only in the months June, July, August then they proberly would have said no.

xx

• RedKitchie
    Beginner August 2013
    RedKitchie ·
    • Hide content

Your daughter can still have a lovely day with a later ceremony. A 3 course meal might not work without sacrificing dancing. Although I'm not using a venue, we will have a later ceremony, then a BBQ with cheese and biscuits for peckish people later in the evening. We will only have one set of guests which means they will all ear the ceremony so less pressure to provide anything substatanial later. I hope the venue come back with positive news.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I too had never heard of providing 2 meals at a wedding till I moved to the UK from Australia. The norm there is to have 1 set of guests, that attend the ceremony, photos, then a meal followed by dancing for all. None of this seperate day & evening guests & providing a late night buffet also.

We got married about 2:30 pm. Guests entertained themselves (& bought their own drinks) while we had photos done afterwards. About 4:00pm canapes were served, then we went into the reception for a 3 course meal followed by speeches & dancing till the end of the night. No reason something similar couldnt work here, you just need to clarify with the venue.

Tip: We served our wedding cake as the dessert, rather than paying for a 3 course meal when the dessert is often left uneaten. Our venue gave us a discount for doing this.

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

I got married at 4pm. Ceremony and photos till 5.30, arrive hotel and drinks till seating at 6.15 then posh buffet served with cake as dessert and speeches at 7pm. After this twas party time! Saved a small fortune and no boring lull in the day

• T
    Beginner January 2015
    tracy P ·
    • Hide content

I too am glad that they have desided to go ahead with the wedding. We are having a late wedding 6.30 and then a supper of tradditional scottish fair. I am having a seating plan and a served main with a buffet sweet and coffee. It has worked out much cheaper and hopefully will feel relaxed and personal. Good luck.

• T
    Beginner January 2015
    tracy P ·
    • Hide content

I too am glad that they have desided to go ahead with the wedding. We are having a late wedding 6.30 and then a supper of tradditional scottish fair. I am having a seating plan and a served main with a buffet sweet and coffee. It has worked out much cheaper and hopefully will feel relaxed and personal. Good luck.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics