Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

laurafish
Beginner July 2016

laurafish wedding report - 16.7.16

laurafish, 12 of August of 2016 at 17:37 Posted on Planning 0 20

Just a warning – this is long! Really sorry haha, I’ve written too much and this is me trying to keep it short and skip parts! Feel free to scroll straight to the wedding day as that's where the flashes start! Just to note I haven't included many flashes I'm not in as I didn't want to post solo photos without getting everyone's permission. I've justified sharing it with strangers if I'm in it Smiley winking

How it all started
OH and I met at work in September 2009. After a few months of talking, we went on our first date in January 2010 and it was fairly obvious from the start that it wasn’t going to be a casual thing.

The Engagement
In November 2012, we had a weekend away to London planned as it fell in between 3 birthdays in our friendship group – one of which was OH’s. I was under the impression the whole time this was being planned by our friend M. It was also his anniversary with his partner and he told the group that his mum had bought us a private pod on the London Eye to celebrate. I’m sure you see where this is going… So yes, at the top of the London Eye on fireworks weekend, OH proposed! Of course I said yes and we had a brilliant weekend celebrating, as I found out that OH had planned everything in secret.

The Planning
We actually had chosen our date before we got engaged. We knew we wanted a summer wedding, and we wanted a Saturday to make it easier for people to make it. I have always liked the idea of having a significant date, but we didn’t want our anniversary as it’s in January. So we went halfway which made it July, and we found a Saturday in July 2016 which was our exact 6 and a half year mark. So Saturday 16th July 2016 it was!

We found planning fairly smooth. We booked our venue and I had my dress 2 years in advance, nothing was too stressful. There were a few bumps with family and invites, which I think is pretty common. But overall it went well, I really enjoyed the planning process as I am really into organisation etc so it was right up my street!

The Week Before
OH and I were both only working Monday and Tuesday, so that we had a few days to finish off any last minute jobs and try to relax. OH ended up barely doing anything, which I’m sure he didn’t mind!! On Wednesday I had waxing and nails done – bit of a disaster but that’s not a story for now. Wednesday evening we had our rehearsal which made things very real – I wasn’t planning for someone else any more, it was really me doing it! Thursday I had my eyelash extensions done which was nice as it just meant laying down with my eyes shut for over an hour. I spent the rest of the day buying a few last minute gifts for people, writing thank you cards, and checking everything was ready for the next day. On Thursday evening one of our best men who lives a couple of hours away arrived, ready to help set up the next morning.

The day before, Friday, we were up bright and early ready to go to our reception venue and get everything set up. In hindsight I’m so glad that we were able to do this – it was so relieving to leave on Friday and know how great it all looked. There were about 10 of us coming and going throughout the day, and overall it was a really fun day. Nothing was particularly stressful apart from one issue with the sound limiter which the barn had set way lower than we had realised. Aside from that, we left that afternoon feeling confident everything was looking just how we wanted it to. To break things up, here's a few pictures of how the barn looked on the day:

After that, we had a meal planned with both sets of parents, my sister, the best man who had travelled down and two other bridesmaids and their parents who were staying with OH’s parents. We left before most other people so that we could do the rounds giving gifts to people. We had decided early on that we weren’t going to have any gifts handed out during the speeches on the day, so we did it the day before instead. I really liked doing that, it was nice to have individual time with people before the manic day ahead. I ended up getting to bed about 1am. Wasn’t too bad as I hadn’t expected to be able to sleep much anyway! It turns out I fell asleep pretty well, and slept through until around 6 which compared to what I was expecting, wasn’t bad at all.

The Wedding Day!
As I’d woken up earlier than planned (not a surprise) I had quite a relaxed start to the day. Had a shower, quickly posted on Hitched, then just sat around waiting for people to start arriving. I had no appetite all morning but aside from that I was feeling relatively calm. The morning didn’t seem rushed until I started to get into my dress. It felt like that was the point where people were disappearing to get their own dresses on, and I started to feel like we were going to be late. As it turns out, we were ready well before we needed to be. We went outside for some photos before the car arrived to take my mum and nan and then came back for my bridesmaids. I couldn’t be bothered to manoeuvre my dress back inside again so I was probably stood outside mostly on my own for about 20 minutes. In hindsight I’m actually glad I had that part, as it gave me time to relax and take it all in, but at the time all I could think was that I wanted to just get there and get started.

We arrived at the church, took some photos and all I remember was really wanting to be inside. The walk down the aisle was a little stressful – my dress was a little too long at the front and I kept stepping on it, which was freaking me out. Everyone said afterwards I looked like I was super nervous but I was just panicking about not being able to walk properly! Eventually we got to the end and from then on it was all smiles! A few wobbles but we held it together and the ceremony was over before we knew it! We went outside for confetti and a couple of photos and then it was on to the reception venue.

One of my favourites from the whole day!

I actually had a snooze in the car on the way there! I think the not sleeping much or eating at all had caught up with me and I thought it would be best to get a power nap in rather than flagging later on. When we arrived only a few people were there – most of them had gone to the hotel to get coaches – so it was really nice to talk to a group of people without worrying that we were ignoring others. Then it was off for couples photos before the rest of the guests arrived. After we got back and everyone was there, we did our formal photos while people were having canapes and drinks. We were so lucky with the weather, I actually was a little red on my shoulders by the end of the day!

On our way into the meal we had our other hiccup of the day – my veil got caught on a light in the floor right as we were introduced. We could hear people inside clapping and I couldn’t move! OH tried to unhook me but ended up pulling the veil off my head. Not quite the plan but it was one way to solve it! In we went, and sat down for food. First off we had speeches – one of the best men read on behalf of my dad who is terrified of public speaking. Then OH spoke, and then me. I genuinely think I would have been fine during my speech, but OH got a bit emotional during his which was unexpected and set me off, so I did mine while holding back tears the whole way through. Completely messed up my words, but I think I got the point across.

I still didn’t have much of an appetite so I only had a couple of bites and then went round to mingle between courses – I always wanted to do this and am so glad I did. I just wish I’d seen a few more tables. I ended up eating my dessert with my cousin rather than at the top table, as the family on his table had gone off to deal with the children, so he was on his own. I really enjoyed this part, just sitting one on one and relaxing a bit.

OH's cake surprise!

By the end of the meal our evening guests had started to arrive, so there was more greeting and mingling to do. Then it was cake time, and straight after our first dance. I loved the first dance more than I thought I would, I just wish it had lasted a little longer. After that the evening music started and I pretty much didn’t leave the dance floor. Part of me regrets not mingling more, but I was just enjoying myself and the people around me, and mostly I don’t regret it as I did have a fantastic time.

The party ended at midnight, my dad is a DJ on the side and he did our music – the night ended with the crowd chanting his name to play more but our barn had a very strict end time so we couldn’t. Hearing how much everyone was enjoying it and wanted to carry on was a really special moment for me, it’s hard to describe the feeling.

After that, coaches arrived and it was back to the hotel and our wedding day had finished! It felt so strange that it was all over, it honestly went by in a flash. I know everyone says it, but I just don’t think you can prepare for how much of a blur the day becomes. Even so, I had the best day ever and I’m sure in time I’ll forget about all the little niggles and just remember the amazing day that it was. We had a lot of help from family and friends, almost no outside suppliers (just caterers and the car) so it was so special to see a day that had been brought together by everyone around us.

I’m sad it’s over, I miss planning and I wish I could just live the day over and over again. But at least now I’m a wife! Sorry this was so long, I’ve written it more for me than anything if I’m honest. As I write this we are 1 day away from being married for 4 weeks, so it’s been nice to relive it Smiley smile

I’ll be sticking around so I’m looking forward to seeing the weddings of all the other brides on here! Thanks to all of you that have helped me out during the planning process, it’s been really useful reading these forums throughout it all Smiley smile

20 replies

Latest activity by PadBin, 23 of August of 2016 at 15:00
  • Pookie8911
    Beginner April 2017
    Pookie8911 ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! Absolutely loved reading your story, and your photos are gorgeous. You look amazing and your day just looked beautiful! Where was your venue? Enjoy being Mr and Mrs! x

• MrsR2B18
    Beginner April 2018
    MrsR2B18 ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! You look stunning! Loved reading your report, your photos are stunning as is your venue, you and your hubby look so happy! Love the photos with the men and their shirts Smiley smile

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

Looks absolutely wonderful! Getting so excited that it will soon be time to tell my big day story! Congratulations ?

• M
    Beginner May 2017
    MrsW2017 ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! I love a long report with all the little details, it makes it came alive. I love your dress, specially the pic of the back outside the church, it makes the train look amazing

• 2BMrsC
    Beginner May 2017
    2BMrsC ·
    • Hide content

No need to apologise for a long report- the longer the better I think! Thank you for sharing it with us- it all looks fabulous and you look stunning and SO happy! Congratulations Mrs!!

• Mrs_Conduct
    Expert June 2017
    Mrs_Conduct ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! I had a little cry at this, it looks/sounds like you had an amazing day. I love your dress, I've not seen one like that with the detailing on the front. Congratulations again xx

• D
    Beginner September 2016
    donkey86 ·
    • Hide content

It all looks fabulous! Thank you for posting this, it was lovely to read Smiley smile

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

Wow the inside of your venue and how you decorated it looks amazing. I also love your shoes!

I'm you had a great day, everything looks amazing! X

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Loved your report and photos. It all looked wonderful and you looked stunning. X

• Shelly70
    Beginner July 2016
    Shelly70 ·
    • Hide content

OMG Laura you look amazing. Congratulations. I'm so pleased for you. Your photos are amazing. Wishing you all the love and happiness for the future. It's been a pleasure planning with you.

Shelly xx

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

Thank you guys, lovely to read all your comments Smiley smile I'm just pleased someone took the time to read all my rambling haha. OH will be so pleased that his superhero photos went down well!

Pookie8911 - our reception was at Manor Barn in Harlton which is just outside of Cambridge. It was lovely because it was a working farm with a stately home where the family lives - so they had beautiful gardens and grounds for photos and mingling, but then still had the rustic barn which we really wanted, so it was the perfect combination for us Smiley smile

Shelly - Glad you enjoyed, your turn now Smiley winking

• T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tidal Wave ·
    • Hide content

Such a lovely read, love how the pictures match up with the text.

It looks beautiful, love the dress. Also the inner sadness LOVED the superhero shirt peeping, brilliant touch Smiley smile

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

Oh Laura! (date twin!) it is so nice to finally put a face to a name and see all your planning come together. It looks amazing and sounds like you had a fab day. I will miss not planning with the rest of the 16th July group.

Promise I will be back to do a report, just waiting on the photos and hope the little one doesn't arrive before them or it may be some time before I get round to it.

• S
    Beginner May 2017
    Slink ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! It looks like you had a fabulous day. The barn decoration is absolutely stunning, it must have made such a romantic backdrop to the day.

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

Hitched used your photograph of the men with their t-shirts on FB today. I saw it pop up on my newsfeed! X

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all Smiley smile

Jen - lovely to 'see' you on here, hope all is going well! Looking forward to hearing how youir day went, it's been odd not gettin upates from you all!

FutureMrsSmith2017 - not my groom unfortunately - from what I saw anyway, correct me if I'm wrong as I'd love to see if it is him! I can't take credit for the idea I'm afraid!

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Totally agree, but it has been lovely reading all the reports.

• FutureMrsO'L
    Beginner April 2018
    FutureMrsO'L ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! It looks like it was an amazing day - everything & everyone looked beautiful.

I absolutely adore the way your venue is decorated!xx

• Mrslh2b
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrslh2b ·
    • Hide content

So stunning! Congratulations my lovely!!

• PadBin
    Rockstar July 2016
    PadBin ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations honey. It looked like you had an amazing day. You looked beautiful. Xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics